solar light tube installation

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2017, 12:41 PM
Default solar light tube installation

Has anyone done it themselves or found someone cheaper than the Solar Guys?
Old 06-17-2017, 02:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I have been in the attic ONCE, never plan to do it again, especially this time of year. Just the storage area is bad, the attic area and blown in insulation is much worse, and finding a place to safely walk is a real challenge. Having stated that, I do not understand solar lights, these are much more expensive then an additional NEW ceiling light, and the ceiling light works any time. Solar tubes only work when the sun is shining.

But back to your original question, I would not consider this a DIY project, unless you are really good cutting holes in your roof, and getting the seal right afterwards. This is not trivial work. You will also need a source for all of the components. Also, you and your house will get dirty and dusty when you cut the hole in the ceiling. For some reason, several of the installations I have seen are not straight tubes, but have one or more bends, so getting proper alignment might be interesting.

IMHO, if you are dead set on getting these, I would go with the professionals on this type of work, at least then you have someone to go back to if you have leaks or other problems.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

I also do not understand why someone would want a solar tube. LED "daylight" bulbs provide similar quality lighting on demand. Also, I don't want a hole in my roof or in my car roof either.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I also do not understand why someone would want a solar tube. LED "daylight" bulbs provide similar quality lighting on demand. Also, I don't want a hole in my roof or in my car roof either.
The soar tubes we put in both our unlighted Villa bathrooms brought the day inside and had us reaching for a switch to turn them off at first when exiting. No leaks and no muss nor fuss when done by The Solar Guys. A " Guarantee " on the workmanship s well. I had my doubts at first but am very happy with our decision to use them.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Village Tinker and Retired Guy, you are both so very wrong about solar tubes, or as we call them around here "solar lights".

A solar tube is a 10- or 14-inch-diameter sheet-metal tube with a polished interior. The interior acts like a continuous mirror, channeling light along its entire length while preserving the light’s intensity. It captures daylight at the roof and delivers it inside your home.

There is nothing like light from a solar tube unless you stand outside. We have one in our cathedral ceiling and one in our master bathroom. Even in the middle of the night they give off enough light from the night sky to be able to walk through your home without having an accident tripping over something. We have had them about 9 years and we still try to turn the light off when leaving the room. Would never be without them now.

On the other hand, I would never let anyone other than a professional install one in my home.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-17-2017, 05:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

If someone other than the Solar Guys install the solar tubes, you'll want to know if that will void your warranty on your roof or your shingles. The Solar Guys say their product will not, this is what they have to say from their TOTV page;

Quote:
You should be concerned as to what product is being installed and what company is providing the installation service, because not all products and companies are created equal. While we cannot speak with surety about the knock-off brands, we can assure you that when you use The Solar Guys and genuine Solatube brand devices you are getting the original, patented tubular skylights with the highest performance guaranteed. Because of this unique brand's unmatched longevity in the industry, installing a genuine Solatube will not void your manufacturer's roof or shingle warranties. One of the main reasons that independent contractors have such confidence in our company's installation work is that The Solar Guys are the ONLY company in The Villages that carries a Florida State General Contractor's and Florida State Roofing License (Certified General Contractor License CGC1518621, Certified Roofing Contractor License CCC1329445). At no additional cost to our customers, The Solar Guys provides a written installation warranty that extends for the entire life of the roof where our products are installed.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:16 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

I recommend the Velux dealer found at the market in Marion. It is a better product. Either diy or professionally installed in is a better product.

I did install my own, up north. Yes you can do it yourself, this time I had it installed. One 10" one 14" was 1250.00.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:42 PM
Gold member

Famliy Handyman had nice article on a DIY tube installation. Pretty straight forward. Not sure what the savings are doing it yourself but guess 50% plus.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:10 PM

A 9 watt equivalent LED light would use less than $5.00 of power annually! Plus it can be turned on and off as needed, while with solar you are at limited by the weather and night time. Do the math, the payback won't happen in our lifetimes. The only ones benefiting from solar tubes are the manufacturers and installers, but hey, it's your money, spend it as you wish.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagjr1 View Post
A 9 watt equivalent LED light would use less than $5.00 of power annually! Plus it can be turned on and off as needed, while with solar you are at limited by the weather and night time. Do the math, the payback won't happen in our lifetimes. The only ones benefiting from solar tubes are the manufacturers and installers, but hey, it's your money, spend it as you wish.
Very true, 6 hours a day each day would be 2.17 a year but it is hard to place of price of never having to toggle a switch.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:36 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

Well I've been in many homes with both artificial lighting (including quality LED) and solar tubes (aka lights) and there is no comparison. The solar tubes lighting is - as intended - much more natural and provides an whole room ambient glow. No, I don't sell them.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 06-18-2017, 11:24 AM

It never ceases to amaze me that so many people on this site will never admit that they either made a mistake or were not totally happy with their choices. Some even go so far as to seem offended that anyone would challenge their choices. I have been in several homes with solar tubes or skylights and even owned a home with a skylight, and I have to say I wasn't impressed. I mean they were nice and all, but that's all.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:27 AM

How about a motion activated switch ?
Old 06-18-2017, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Solar tubes

We have 3 solar tubes and are 100% satisfied. I am thinking of adding a 4th in the master bath. No regrets here!
Old 06-18-2017, 11:43 AM

We have one in each bathroom and one in the master closet and ABSOLUTELY love them. Adds so much more natural light all day long. We couldn't be happier with them!
Closed Thread

Tags
solar, found, cheaper, guys, tube

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.