Surround Sound cable connections

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2010, 05:04 AM
Veteran member
Default Surround Sound cable connections

Just brought my surround sound speaker system down to TV and am attempting to hook all the wires in the right place. More specifically, trying to connect the amp/radio to the TV. Cannot get the tv to see the surround sound system. Can anyone out there give me some assistance. It worked in New Jersey with all the same equipment, but my connections now are not correct. It is a matter of connecting the proper jack to the appropriate place on the amp. Could use some help.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:27 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Need a lot more information. Brands, age, type of set up. They have a lot of common elements, but it seems each brand puts there own twist on it. I have a Panasonic and a Bose at two different homes and each is connected up differently.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Maybe too basic....

This might be too basic, but here goes.

I assume you are trying to get the sound from the TV to the Amp for the surround.

On the TV, there should a couple plugs AUDIO OUT (one red and one white). The cable goes from there to your AUDIO IN on the amp. Red to Red; White to White. Which inputs on the amp depends on which setting you are using, if you have multiples; like V1, V2, V3, Tape, Tuner, etc... You'll probably use one of the inputs for video or Aux....doesn't matter, as long as you put your amp on that when you want to listen to the surround system.

If this doesn't work...probably need a little more information. Hooking one of these systems up can be very vexing, at times.....
Old 04-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Sage

One more thought...

If the television has a menu system, there might be a setting to turn off the television speakers which will also turn on the AUDIO OUT.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2at View Post
Just brought my surround sound speaker system down to TV and am attempting to hook all the wires in the right place. More specifically, trying to connect the amp/radio to the TV. Cannot get the tv to see the surround sound system. Can anyone out there give me some assistance. It worked in New Jersey with all the same equipment, but my connections now are not correct. It is a matter of connecting the proper jack to the appropriate place on the amp. Could use some help.
There are alot of variables when connecting a surround system. The absolute and BEST method is to use HDMI cables if the TV and receiver have them. If not, just remember thet if it goes in it has to come out. what could be happening is if you connected from your TV's audio out with the standard RCA cables (red and white male plugs), you might want to check that you have them going to the video in on the receiver. Don't get to frustrated, probably just trhe wrong in or turning on the right output on the receiver. Good Luck!!
Old 04-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Veteran member

need to check the TV speaker system as mentioned by C-6,, make sure the TV speakers are turned off. That should allow the surrond sound to play, also make sure the TV is to surround sound. If that dont work, then you got something hooked up wrong. If you got a AMp you say or a reciver, need to have the TV audio out going into the reciver. Just make sure they are plugged correct, might have to move them around some.

alot easier to correct when looking at it. Make sure also the surround system wasnt damaged in the move.

Money out
Old 04-26-2010, 05:50 AM
twolfe

And remember, if you have an off-the-air digital tv tuner, satellite box, cable box, dvd player, vcr etc these should each be connected to the amplifier separately (usually via "RCA" plugs, one red and one white). You may then choose which "source" you want to hear through the amp. There are of course more high tech ways of doing this now--like a digital audio cable etc.

By the way, if you walk in to a local brick and mortar store and want to buy any audio or video cables you can save yourself a ***ton*** of money by buying online, even when you add the price of shipping. The markups at the big retailers are truly exorbitant.

Here are two reputable companies that I use, even if you just want to compare prices.

http://www.monoprice.com

http://www.cablewholesale.com
Old 05-25-2010, 05:23 PM

Along similar lines...how does everyone hook up the rear speakers? Specifically, how did you run the wires, under the carpet or inside the wall and across the crawlspace? If you had a home built, did you say you wanted to run the speaker wires before the carpeting was put in place? Front speakers should be no problem but the rear speakers will be an issue. Can one have speaker wires run through the walls and crawlspace during construction?
Old 05-25-2010, 05:49 PM

Don,
For about 100 bucks you can buy a wireless transmitter and receiver for the rear speakers. I picked mine up at Best Buy.
Bob
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.