Tile for out door lanai

Closed Thread
Old 09-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Banned
Default Tile for out door lanai

I am getting ready to tile the floor in our lanai. It is a residential Lanai with nothing but screen so it is exposed to rain and it does get damp and sometimes puddles. I can deal with the puddles with weep holes in the screen frame and the floor has a proper pitch so it drains that won't be an issue.

My question is what tile is good. I have seen tile that I like the looks of at the big box stores that can be about $.70/ square foot. It is ceramic. Has anybody used this less expensive tile in an out door situation? What is the reason for such a cost difference? Some ceramics can be twice that.

I wouldn't think of the floor outlets in TV. They are easily $2.00/sq ft just for the tile. There is one deep discount place in Ocala but the selections were limited. As long as I am on that subject who has tile at a bargain within $50 miles of TV.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Veteran member

I do not have the experience to advise you on what type of tile to use in your lanai, but I strongly recommend visiting Floor Masters on 301. Make a left from 466 and it is about 2(?) miles down the road on the left side.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Banned

Thanks for the advice. I think they are the best of the retail outlets. I went to them two years ago and bought 4" stone tiles for our back splash. They were very helpful and priced right for better stone tile.

But about three weeks ago I stopped to discuss the floor tiles and couldn't really get anybodies attention plus they were at least a $1.00/ sq. ft. from the extra left over tiles in the tents.

I probably need to go back and get the salesman I got two years ago, Eddy Bertoloti. He was very helpful and even loaned me a tile saw N/C plus loads of advice. His old card said he is The GM.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Sage

Wouldn't the tile be slippery when wet? I have taken a slide on our kitchen tile when I came in from the pool with wet feet.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Gold member

I had tile on my Lanai back in Ark that has a lot of heat and rain too. The outdoor tile we had did have a rough texture to it and we didn't have any problems with it being slippery. It was strictly outdoor tile and that may be the difference. We always washed it down with a power washer too. Ark does have a few months of colder weather and still no problems with the tile. IMHO

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 09-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Default lani floor

I agree tile will be dangerous. Suggest 1" pavers. You can get then for 3.00 sq foot and can be put on concrete laying down 1/4 inch of sand. Lock and load. Just seal them afterward.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:46 AM

When visiting TV my sales rep suggested pavers for the lanai as tile can get real hot if you get sun for any lenght of time.

Brooklyn, NY
Margate, FL
Gillette, WY
Cape Cod (Brewster), MA
Coral Springs, FL
Pittsburgh, PA
Boynton Beach, FL
Pennecamp 10/29/10
Old 09-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Platinum member

For the economy minded, Home Depot and Lowes does carry tile which is not slippery when wet. For in-stock tile, take a bottle of water along and you can actually experiment yourself. Also, there is non-slip sealer on the market. It is specifically designed for smooth stamped concrete around patios and pools. It works.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Sage

I've been doing some looking on line at tile for the lanai for the same tile that the bldr. put in the house. It is a rather rough texture and slip resistant.

It seems that tile is rated I to IV for wear and durability, one being the poorest. Our tile (rated IV) is $2.07 for 18".

Our condo had really poor tile. It would pit if a fork fell on it.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Veteran member

Four years ago we had our screened lanai tiled by Paradise Floors...still looks fine today, despite all the weather.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Gold member

Make sure it is definitely outdoor tile. A few years ago I had a nasty knee injury due to slightly damp tile. No tennis or golf for 13 months !
Old 09-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the comments. Very helpful. The tile I will finally decide on will be non-slip with a texture. Some tiles are like coarse sandpaper and some are just a matt finish. I will try and find something in between. The sealer sounds interesting. I didn't know that was out there.

I have used a non-skid additive for porch and floor enamel that is called shark skin. It definitely eliminates slipping.

Still searching. Thanks all.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag ****** View Post
Thanks for all the comments. Very helpful. The tile I will finally decide on will be non-slip with a texture. Some tiles are like coarse sandpaper and some are just a matt finish. I will try and find something in between. The sealer sounds interesting. I didn't know that was out there.

I have used a non-skid additive for porch and floor enamel that is called shark skin. It definitely eliminates slipping.

Still searching. Thanks all.
Hi Rag ******,
When you get it done, please let us know what you did and how it worked out for you. If you have time, photos would be nice too.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:59 AM

Took at tiling class at Home Depot on Saturday and was told porcelin tile is good because it doesn't crack like ceramic---good for the outdoor elements and not slippery.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:41 PM

We had our villa lanai tiled 2 years ago with a beautiful spanish look tile that had a rough sand grit texture but it is slippery when it rains, we got it at Great Lakes Tile store.
the water spray sounds like a very good idea! good luck!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.