Tips on DIY tool storage....??

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Veteran member
Default Tips on DIY tool storage....??

Hello all. I thought this might be a good subject to ask about.

I'm an avid DIY'er and have a huge workshop, 3+ car garage and a huge basement. Sadly, after buying my much smaller future retirement home just south of you guys, I looked all over and did not find a basement!

So....many of my tools will not be coming down south with me....my radial arm saw, my big table saw, etc. SO.....how did you guys downsize when it comes to tool storage?? I'm thinking I'll perhaps buy a smaller benchtop table saw and chopsaw. I also plan on building another bay to my garage, but until then I am going to be limited to a small 1.5 car garage with no basement.

Any hints?? I'll give up my huge snowblower, but I'm not giving up many of my tools......so how do you squeeze every inch of storage you can with what you now have??

Frank
Old 03-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Banned
Default Room is a premium

As you have found no basement anywhere!! Most people I know sold there big tools up north and only have a minimal quantity of hand tools. Instead many have joined the Village Woodshop for the planners, table saws etc. From your earlier posts it sounds like you have many tools. You will probably have to consider smaller versions of power tools or rent a garage somwhere. Our largest area for storage is the attic but that won't due for tools or any items you need to get at reqularly. We specifically chose a house with a two car garage and golf cart garage and we only have one car. That is the largest garage arrangement that I know of in TV. It makes a good area to become my workshop.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Veteran member

Thanks Lincoln.

Since my home is in the Plantation, the village workshop is not an option, and I do prefer to have my own tools. I have building dept and HOA approval to build a 14x22 ft additional garage attached to my current 1.5 car garage. This will be a big help.

I am thinking of a smaller benchtop table saw to store under a workbench. Other ideas for tool storage would be great.......thanks!

I'm guessing that some folks down there have awesome looking garage pictures.......feel free to post them!!

Frank

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.