Toilet canister twisting

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2017, 06:06 PM
Default Toilet canister twisting

When the toilet is flushed, the canister inside picks up & twists. Only 1 of the 2 toilets does this. So, I'm figuring it shouldn't be twisting. It will twist to the left one time & the next time twist back to the right. I have tried shortening the chain. It doesn't help. Due to the twisting, it sometimes keeps running? Also it is harder to trip the lever when it has twisted to the left side. Do I need to replace the whole canister? Or is there an easy fix.
Thanks in advance for any help with this.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:26 PM
Default Kohler K-GP1059291 Canister Flush Valve Seal

By replacing the seal, you'll see how it works and can make any adjustment then, but I don't even think there is any adjustment.

How To Replace The Seal On A Canister Style Flush Valve From Kohler - YouTube

If your toilet looks like the one in this YouTube video, it's a real easy job to replace. (Except where he turns the plastic part at 42 seconds) It turns hard and you think you're going to break it. Also for those that are unfamiliar with the cheap plastic water shutoff valve. You turn the water off by pulling the white knob straight out.

Kohler K-GP1059291 Canister Flush Valve Seal

Last I knew was $6.99 at Amazon and about the same price at hardware stores. Make sure you get the yellow one made of better material than the original red one.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:59 AM

Thanks for the suggestion to change the seal. I will purchase & do that today. Will that stop the canister from twisting back & forth with each flush? Or isn't the twisting a problem?
Old 03-22-2017, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

I am GUESSING the canister is loose on the center rod, and that is why it is twisting. See what it looks like when you go to replace the gasket and reinstall the parts. I have never seen the twisting before.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

You beat me to it.

How to replace Kohler Toilet Flush Valve Seal in 2 minutes or less - YouTube

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-12-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo11 View Post
When the toilet is flushed, the canister inside picks up & twists. Only 1 of the 2 toilets does this. So, I'm figuring it shouldn't be twisting. It will twist to the left one time & the next time twist back to the right. I have tried shortening the chain. It doesn't help. Due to the twisting, it sometimes keeps running? Also it is harder to trip the lever when it has twisted to the left side. Do I need to replace the whole canister? Or is there an easy fix.
I'm having a very hard time not to make a Chubby Checker reference to this.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:31 AM

Changed out the seal- it seems to have ended the twisting problem. It was easy to change.
Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 03-24-2017, 11:22 AM

I also have had a problem with the canister twisting. We have wasted a lot of water. I emailed Kohler over a week ago and I am still waiting for their response. So I took my engineering hat out of retirement and analyzed the problem. Here is my hypothesis. Until now, every toilet that I have owned had a flap valve. I would press the lever which lifted the flap. I released the lever and the flap would stay up until the tank emptied. With these new toilets, the canister drops as soon as I release the lever. I believe that this is the clue. When the canister is lifted, the Coriolis effect causes the water to rotate counter-clockwise which causes the canister to rotate counter-clockwise. If it rotates enough, it will hang-up on the chain. If it rotates but not enough to hang-up the canister, the next time you flush, the chain will rotate the canister counter-clockwise and possibly hang up the canister in the other direction. This can only happen if you press and release the lever quickly. If you hold the lever down, the canister will be held in the neutral position. We now hold the handle down for a few seconds and we have not had a problem since.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
I also have had a problem with the canister twisting. We have wasted a lot of water. I emailed Kohler over a week ago and I am still waiting for their response. So I took my engineering hat out of retirement and analyzed the problem. Here is my hypothesis. Until now, every toilet that I have owned had a flap valve. I would press the lever which lifted the flap. I released the lever and the flap would stay up until the tank emptied. With these new toilets, the canister drops as soon as I release the lever. I believe that this is the clue. When the canister is lifted, the Coriolis effect causes the water to rotate counter-clockwise which causes the canister to rotate counter-clockwise. If it rotates enough, it will hang-up on the chain. If it rotates but not enough to hang-up the canister, the next time you flush, the chain will rotate the canister counter-clockwise and possibly hang up the canister in the other direction. This can only happen if you press and release the lever quickly. If you hold the lever down, the canister will be held in the neutral position. We now hold the handle down for a few seconds and we have not had a problem since.
Thanks for the info. We have two Kohler's in our house. The canister in the one in the MasterBath has to be put back in place every few days. The guest bathroom toilet does not have that problem. Both are used with the same frequency. I had a feeling that replacing the valve seal would not make any difference.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
That does seem to have fixed my problem. But does this indicate that the canister is somehow loose? Should it not be able to turn at all?
Old 06-07-2017, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,681 Times in 5,231 Posts

[QUOTE=FlaGrown;1408583]That does seem to have fixed my problem. But does this indicate that the canister is somehow loose? ////

Last edited by retiredguy123; 06-07-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
The Kohler toilets being installed in The Villages have a two stage flush. If you push the handle and release it immediately, it is designed to use only a half gallon of water. But, if you push the handle and hold it down, you will use the max, which is about 2 gallons of water. This is the way the toilet is designed to work and to save water.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The Kohler toilets being installed in The Villages have a two stage flush. If you push the handle and release it immediately, it is designed to use only a half gallon of water. But, if you push the handle and hold it down, you will use the max, which is about 2 gallons of water. This is the way the toilet is designed to work and to save water.
I prefer the two button system, 1 and 2.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
I prefer the two button system, 1 and 2.
I agree. The two button system is better because people understand how it works. I have never found anyone who understands the design of the new Kohler two stage flush, and the builder doesn't explain it to new homeowners.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo11 View Post
I had same problem with one of mine. I changed seal with no help and ended up shorting chain. I do believe the poster who explained the water swirling out of tank twisted the cylinder as I remember holding lever down until tank was empty helping it.
Closed Thread

Tags
canister, twisting, toilet, left, twist

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.