Turning water on/off for whole house

Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2011, 05:43 AM
Default Turning water on/off for whole house

I am going to install my whole house water filter and will need to cut the line in the garage where the house water shut off valve is located. I know there is another shut off valve in the front yard but I wasn't real clear on how it operated. I opened the rectangular plate covering the valves for my house and my neighbor's and once all the critters got out of the way there is a large cone shaped valve but it is not clear to me what I turn to shut it off. Does any one have any experience shutting off the water this way? Thanks.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,349 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2travel View Post
I am going to install my whole house water filter and will need to cut the line in the garage where the house water shut off valve is located. I know there is another shut off valve in the front yard but I wasn't real clear on how it operated. I opened the rectangular plate covering the valves for my house and my neighbor's and once all the critters got out of the way there is a large cone shaped valve but it is not clear to me what I turn to shut it off. Does any one have any experience shutting off the water this way? Thanks.
Had plumber who used a large square headed wrench to shut it off at the street. May be worth a call the the water department.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:23 AM

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy the curb stop shut off tool.

Or grind a notch in a steel pipe, then use a pipe wrench above ground to turn.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Sage

Can't you add a valve in front of the filter so you can shut off all the water to the house? The installer for my water softener did that for me so I can shut off all the water. There is also a valve on the softener so I can bypass it and let hard water enter the house. He also added a faucet in front of the softener so that I can attach a hose to fill buckets or water plants without using softened water.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Can't you add a valve in front of the filter so you can shut off all the water to the house? The installer for my water softener did that for me so I can shut off all the water. There is also a valve on the softener so I can bypass it and let hard water enter the house. He also added a faucet in front of the softener so that I can attach a hose to fill buckets or water plants without using softened water.
Interesting if you don't mind me asking who installed your softer, and what would be a reasonable price to expect for the softener and having it installed
Old 12-15-2011, 07:49 AM

I installed the water filter myself. However my neighbor had one installed a few weeks ago. It cost him around $200 for the installation labor. I think it was R&B Plumbing 352-350-6919
Old 12-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orps1 View Post
Interesting if you don't mind me asking who installed your softer, and what would be a reasonable price to expect for the softener and having it installed
We have a Culligan softener, installed by them. I don't remember the total cost, think it was around $2000.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.