Water Pressure

Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2022, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,615 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
In the hose that connects the shower head, there will be a washer with a small hole. This is a flow regulator to keep the flow rate to 2.5 gpm. If that regulator washer is removed, the flow rate will be whatever the hose, shower head, water pressure allows. It's illegal to sell shower heads that deliver more than 2.5 gpm; however, as far as I know there is no law that prevents you from removing the flow regulator.
Most new shower heads do not have a removable flow regulator. It is permanent, but it can be drilled out.
Old 12-10-2022, 11:52 AM

You need to remove the little water saver piece inside your shower head. You didn't need to change out the entire head.

Look up your type and pieces online.
Old 12-10-2022, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,615 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerD View Post
You need to remove the little water saver piece inside your shower head. You didn't need to change out the entire head.

Look up your type and pieces online.
See Post No. 16.
Old 12-10-2022, 02:59 PM
Default Water Pressure

Thank you everyone for your smart and quick replies. I will let you know how it goes!
Old 12-10-2022, 03:15 PM
Default Buy Modified Shower Head on eBay

As noted by others, you may have a "pressure" problem, but, more likely, have a "flow" problem.

If the flows at your faucets are fine, it's not likely you have a "pressure" problem. If there are problems at the faucets, there could be numerous causes. They range from calcium build-up in the pipes; a defective pressure regulator; a collapsed matrix bed in a water softener; or a cartridge filter that needs to be replaced.

Most likely, you have a "flow" problem due to the restriction in your shower head. Even before the government mandated "low-flow" heads of 2.5 GMP, hotels were installing these heads to save money. I used to travel for business. I got so tired of not being able to take a decent shower in many hotels that I started carrying a screwdriver to pry out the restrictor plate that was inserted in the shower head. With the passage of years, manufacturers seldom add these plates to restrict flow and, instead, design the shower head with a small diameter hole in the "ball"which is what allows the head to swivel on the pipe from the wall. To increase the flow with these heads, you have to drill out the hole. This can be hard to do as the "ball" easily turns as it is designed to allow the head to swivel.

Fortunately, some entrepreneurs have solved this problem for you. Go to eBay, search for shower heads, and then search for "modified" heads. Usually, these are Delta heads which have had the "balls" drilled out. Most state they increase the flow to 10-14 GPM. DO NOT buy one which only says it is a "high pressure" head.

The Delta heads are satisfactory, but plain vanilla. I searched longer and found a fancy head which is only sold overseas and is not subject to the 2.5 GPM mandate.
Old 12-11-2022, 08:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvlpatty View Post
Hey folks! Hoping someone could give advice regarding the water pressure in our showers. Is there a way to increase the pressure? I already changed out the shower head but the difference was only minimal. Sure would appreciate any tips. Thanks.
Remove the shower head. Look at the diameter of the inlet. Note it is much smaller than the diameter of the pipe to which you had attached it. Usually you can use a pliers to remove the flow restricter, then your problem is solved. Otherwise, drillthe inlet hole and make it larger.
Old 12-11-2022, 12:23 PM
Default Increased shower water pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvlpatty View Post
Hey folks! Hoping someone could give advice regarding the water pressure in our showers. Is there a way to increase the pressure? I already changed out the shower head but the difference was only minimal. Sure would appreciate any tips. Thanks.
Moved here a year ago with the same problem. The issue is not the water pressure because that is controlled in the community. The issue is the flow. I removed the restrictor valve ( a green ring). Bought a new shower head from hammacher.com item #97436 $69.95
Because our pipes have tapered ends this shower head is from Europe and they still use the straight line pipe connector I had to buy an adapter. Do not try to put a straight connector without the connector adapter. You will strip your pipe.You can find the adapter connectors on Amazon. It’s called:
Metal brass pipe fitting converter1/2g female-1/2 Npt male.it costs $12.99. Installed this in about 10 minutes. Great pressure and flow just like the old days. Hope this helps.
Closed Thread

Tags
pressure, water, minimal, tips, difference

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.