Whirlpool Side-by-Side Refrigerator Ice Dispenser Problem

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2019, 01:40 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
The solution to the ice cube maker problem is a great invention which takes less space and never requires a repair.

We just purchased some of these! The Kitchen Store in LSL has a great selection.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Probably the gears are stripped in the ice machine. You IMO were very lucky to 9 years out of ice machine and refrigerator. Find you model number and order new ice machine online. Watch UTube video on how to replace it. Basically two screws, disconnect harness. Guide it out of the water filler tube. Remove harness form the ice maker, transfer it to new one ( if they model don’t come with one). Guide the new ice makers up line up plug in the harness, guide tube back in, install the two mount screws. Takes about 15 to 30 mins, unless you have ice maker at bottom drawer, it harder cause use are old backs don’t want to bend anymore and our eyes can’t look up through bifocals? If can’t do it just call repair man mention.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:02 AM

My 3y/o Whirlpool side-by-side stopped making ice, but would still dispense ice in the bin. I had Fields appliance come to diagnose problem. Turned out to be severed wire in cable bundle that feeds freezer located at bottom of the freezer door. Cable housing is rigid plastic and opening/closing door resulted in rigid plastic severing one wire in the cable. This wire operated ice tray. Other wires OK, so auger still runs fine. Cost to replace freezer door quoted as $1800. My solution is I buy 5lb bag of spring ice from Publix and pour it in the freezer bin. Now, I am actually dispensing better tasting ice than what refrigerator produced. I suggest you peer down at freezer cable bundle. See attached pic of my severed wire.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	8dmEntXWSiS4nAwZ2iV0UA.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	79442  
Old 05-01-2019, 12:38 PM

Try taking the bucket out and turn auger a little bit then replace bucket. May not be in properly. Back of bucket has fitting and auger does also.
Closed Thread

Tags
whirlpool, ice, frozen, suggestions, manually

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.