Whole house water filters

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Gold member
Default Whole house water filters

I have heard about the benefits of a whole house water system. It sounds good. There are people that have paid from $2500.00 to $6000.00 for various water filtration systems. On line I have been researching systems that run from $600.00 plus the price of a repetuable plummer? Anyone with thoughts or comments?
Old 06-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Sage

missy -

Pricing (and results) will depend on exactly what it is that you're looking for: a whole house water filter, a water softener, an iron filter, a reverse osmosis system, or a combination of any/all of the above.

Bill
Old 06-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

What is wrong with what I have or get out of the tap? If getting the whole house water filter is worth it to you go for it but I dont see or hear of anyone getting sick from what we use everyday. When I need a cold drink of water, water ..filtered water from the Frig is readily available.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Platinum member

Ten year resident still use tap water.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:12 AM

Be careful of the so called reputable whole house water filter salesmen. I almost threw one of them out of my house when we first moved in. He wanted a meager $8000 for a system. Of course you have to ask why am I getting this system. A simple filter would handle quite a bit, but then they try to scar you about germs in the water. Well, you might want to talk to the water department first to see just how much is in your water, then filter it to very stringent standards. The only think we could come up with was a slight chlorine taste could be filtered out but I would guess a simple whole house filter from Lowes or Home Depot would take care of that.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:36 PM

The water department is required to test their water at least daily to make sure that it does not contain harmful chemicals or "germs". In the event they do notice something, they always warn the public. However, having a refrigerator water filter can make the water clearer and taste better. I think the whole house system, especially at that price, is only necessary in places where the water is known to be very poor quality!

Last edited by Newport2008; 08-29-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:49 PM

I recently purchased a maintenance free whole house filter from sears. $552.00 including installation. I have a glacier water water softener system to give away free. Initial cost $3000. Pete
Old 08-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteserb View Post
I recently purchased a maintenance free whole house filter from sears. $552.00 including installation. I have a glacier water water softener system to give away free. Initial cost $3000. Pete
Does the sears system also soften the water?
Old 09-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Veteran member
Default Puronics Water Filtration System

I recently purchased a Puronics water system. NASA uses Puronics also. I'm very happy with it. Everything from ice cubes to drinking water and food being rinsed is chlorine free. I put one of those Brita filters on my sink, and it killed my wrist every time I turned the faucet on and off. Even when I shower, my hair feels better. Of course, I hope I made the right decision!

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 09-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety Bird View Post
I recently purchased a Puronics water system. NASA uses Puronics also. I'm very happy with it. Everything from ice cubes to drinking water and food being rinsed is chlorine free. I put one of those Brita filters on my sink, and it killed my wrist every time I turned the faucet on and off. Even when I shower, my hair feels better. Of course, I hope I made the right decision!
Sears has a brand new poduct...a water softener and whole house water filter in one unit. Exactly what we want. Just waiting for some feedback to appear on the Sears website before we get one. The water tastes terrible here...we are used to clean fresh cold well water. Our tile in the shower and hand washed glasses are full of spots, which drive me nuts. Water is definitely hard.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:12 PM

Try Home Depot They sell the Water Boss for around 500 dollars . Go on line to Water boss .com and you can check them out.
drd
Old 09-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydoc View Post
Sears has a brand new poduct...a water softener and whole house water filter in one unit. Exactly what we want. Just waiting for some feedback to appear on the Sears website before we get one. The water tastes terrible here...we are used to clean fresh cold well water. Our tile in the shower and hand washed glasses are full of spots, which drive me nuts. Water is definitely hard.
LadyDoc, do you remember what it's called? I searched the Sears website, and I can find whole house filter systems and whole house softeners, but I can't find both in one unit.
Thanks for any info!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 01-17-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
LadyDoc, do you remember what it's called? I searched the Sears website, and I can find whole house filter systems and whole house softeners, but I can't find both in one unit.
Thanks for any info!
I looked at the Sears site and they have a unit called a Kenmore Elite Hybrid Water Softener that claims to do both for $800.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Carolyn View Post
I looked at the Sears site and they have a unit called a Kenmore Elite Hybrid Water Softener that claims to do both for $800.
Thank for the info, Bill & Carolyn!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 01-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

It really isn't needed to filter the whole house, as was stated in an eariler post. As the water from the water company is fine for general use. However if concerned about drinking just get one at your sink. We went to Home Depot and got the undersink 2 stage filter with the upgraded fliters which cost us $49 every six months. Works great and if you read what they filter it is just as good as most bottled water you buy. The only other thing better is reverse osmosis which both costs more to run and wastes more water then it produces.
Army Guy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.