esophageal cancer surgery what is the recovery process and what should we expect?

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2020, 11:34 AM
Default esophageal cancer surgery what is the recovery process and what should we expect?

esophageal surgery recovery time for at 79 year old and what should we expect.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:56 PM
Veteran member

Try researching on the cancer.org There is no simple answer. Depends on stage.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

as Alwann noted, the stage will be a factor in the treatment.
I had Stage 2 squamous cell cancer in 2007 on my tonsils and lymph nodes in my neck.
Not the esophagus, but they called it neck cancer.

I had 3 rounds of big-time chemo, 34 radiation treatments and 3 total surgeries.
I can't speak for yours, but my experience was difficult. As one of my docs told me, "the treatment is worse than the disease, but you get to live" and that's about right.

All that said, here I am, 13 years later and doing pretty well. I still have head and neck "issues" since radiation and chemo are the gifts that keep on giving (ie: my salivary glands and thryoid are burned up, for starters). However, I'm pretty healthy and happy to be here and if that's what it took, I'm glad I did it. A buddy of mine had the same thing at the same time and his doctor said "let's wait and see". Well, he didn't have to wait and see very long, he died a year later.

Best wishes, be strong. Take it one day at a time. Someone to support you sure makes a world of difference. Send a note if you want any further details and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:42 PM

6 years out from stage 4 tonsil and a couple on nodes. Tough battle but can be done. I belong to a head and neck cancer group on facebook that has all the info and support you need. No question to dumb, we have over 2000 members who have been there done that. I play singles and doubles tennis, water volleyball, beach tennis, and all the other racquet sports. Check out the facebook site it will be a blessing for you!
Old 09-21-2020, 02:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Sending lots and lots of good wishes your way.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:16 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmanz View Post

I’m very sorry you are going through this. I’m glad you posted and have already received very kind, compassionate responses. You and your family are in our prayers.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Stage and Mets makes a difference. What does your oncology team say? Not one person has the same experience with treatment, so try not to dwell on others experience.
I find that less is more, take each day as they come, and if treatment changes, understand your team is doing what is best.

Last edited by asianthree; 09-21-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:44 AM

Quote:
I hope everything goes well for you and your family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:53 AM
Default Esophageal cancer recovery

11 yrs ago my husband, at age 68, had surgery for esophageal cancer. His esophagus, and 1/3 of his stomach was removed. It was stage 1, so he didn’t need chemo. The initial recovery is no picnic. He was on tube feedings for 4 months and then slowly began to tolerate small amounts of food. Today he is healthy and can eat anything. 12 yrs ago we lost our 42 yr old son to stage 4 esophageal cancer, so early diagnosis is critical.
Our prayers are with you.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:28 AM
Veteran member

Your physician would be the best person to ask.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:04 AM
Default cancer

Quote:
It takes determination and work to get through the recovery. The time to recover is related to your effort and the skill of your doctors. I had a total laryngectomy 21 years ago and do most things I want. There are some limitations but you learn to work around them. Keep a positive attitude...that's the key....even when things start to get you down. Never quit.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:18 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
as Alwann noted, the stage will be a factor in the treatment.
I had Stage 2 squamous cell cancer in 2007 on my tonsils and lymph nodes in my neck.
Not the esophagus, but they called it neck cancer.

I had 3 rounds of big-time chemo, 34 radiation treatments and 3 total surgeries.
I can't speak for yours, but my experience was difficult. As one of my docs told me, "the treatment is worse than the disease, but you get to live" and that's about right.

All that said, here I am, 13 years later and doing pretty well. I still have head and neck "issues" since radiation and chemo are the gifts that keep on giving (ie: my salivary glands and thryoid are burned up, for starters). However, I'm pretty healthy and happy to be here and if that's what it took, I'm glad I did it. A buddy of mine had the same thing at the same time and his doctor said "let's wait and see". Well, he didn't have to wait and see very long, he died a year later.

Best wishes, be strong. Take it one day at a time. Someone to support you sure makes a world of difference. Send a note if you want any further details and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Wow, good for you. Glad you went through the treatment!!
Old 09-22-2020, 06:25 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

Quote:
I wish you well.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:56 AM
Sage

I would say you have some good advice here but social media probably isn't a good place for answers except maybe to find some support sites. I've not had anything as serious as this, but have some other health issues and I've found it's not helpful to compare mine with other people's experiences as we're ALL different. Your medical team should be able to point you in a correct direction. You can advocate for yourself as well. May God go with you.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:45 AM

Keeping you and your family in our prayers.
Closed Thread

Tags
esophageal, expect, recovery, surgery, process

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.