Bermuda grass is considered(by green supt's)as a weed here...

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2022, 09:21 AM
Default All Florida Grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
in florida and yet the par 4 at Sweetgum has a terrible fairway with sparse grass cover. now go over to southern star or Yankee Clipper and the par 4 fairways are gorgeous, thick and fun to play. really good at no. 9 on tarpon boil and no.5 at sandhill...all really fine fairways.

Same grass, same conditions....what gives? the par 4 fairways at palmetto are also notoriously poorly conditioned. You may as well be playing hard packed dirt...as a matter of fact hard packed dirt would play better.
All the grass in Florida is Bermuda grass. There are many different types of Bermuda grass, The villages and developer use the least expensive golf course Bermuda grass to start a course. So it takes a lot of TLC to start and take hold. Less the a lot of TLC leads to what you are describing. During the winter, some of the courses over seed certain areas of the golf course with Rye grass. The rye grass will dye out when night time temperatures go 70 degrees are higher. I have live and played golf in FL since 1967 and been a member of several country clubs. I see the miniatous people do things here I have never seen done before. When I see it I just shake my head and say "well its is The Villages." So just shake your head and say:
Closed Thread

Tags
fairways, par, grass, dirt, packed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.