Conditions of Greens at Belmont

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2021, 05:56 AM
Default Conditions of Greens at Belmont

Played yesterday with a group. We all agreed that most of the greens at Belmont were not in good shape. Patchy, bumpy and holes looked like they hadn't been moved in weeks. #2 green was a temporary green and almost unputtable. Though the tee boxes were in great shape, green and lots of smooth grass. If they can get the tee's looking so good, why not the greens. Same group played Churchill a few weeks ago and they were not in good shape either. #5 was rebuilt a few years ago and it still looks bad.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsachs View Post
Played yesterday with a group. We all agreed that most of the greens at Belmont were not in good shape. Patchy, bumpy and holes looked like they hadn't been moved in weeks. #2 green was a temporary green and almost unputtable. Though the tee boxes were in great shape, green and lots of smooth grass. If they can get the tee's looking so good, why not the greens. Same group played Churchill a few weeks ago and they were not in good shape either. #5 was rebuilt a few years ago and it still looks bad.
We played Belmont on 3/10.
The greens weren’t beautiful but they were very playable with decent speed and putts that rolled true.
Our foursome played well and enjoyed the round.

These exec courses are not comparable to private country club courses and never have been.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:55 AM
Gold member

We played Pimlico and it too is in rough shape. The high season is taking its toll and so is the lack of rain recently. I see all the courses bouncing back once the daily rains return.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
My wife and stepson played Belmont on Saturday, and they said that it was in really, really bad shape. Don't bother playing this course even if it's the only course available
Old 03-17-2021, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Played there on 3/12. The whole golf course is in horrendous condition. Played Hilltop yesterday. It's even worse.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:05 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw Man View Post
We played Belmont on 3/10.
The greens weren’t beautiful but they were very playable with decent speed and putts that rolled true.
Our foursome played well and enjoyed the round.

These exec courses are not comparable to private country club courses and never have been.
My understanding is the executive courses are assigned to specific country clubs for maintenance. These courses should be receiving the same type of maintenance as their championship counterparts.

IHO the executive course greens are in bad shape due to much higher play than the country clubs, lack of rain, and more inexperienced players not properly doing their part in maintaining the greens (and course). My solution is to close the executive courses one day a week. It gives the courses a chance to heal.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:28 AM

And Churchhill Greens is the same way - awful greens.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:05 AM
Default executive courses Belmont, Churchill Green, Pimlico Horrible Condition

We played at Churchill Greens yesterday 3/20/21.
The name is deceiving since its the worst course we have played on this season.
It may be nice if you are used to playing on DIRT!
I don't know which Championship Course is responsible for maintenance but they obviously have been absent for weeks if not months.
Old 03-24-2021, 07:43 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Our group played Belmont on Monday March 22. Hole one was terrible and number two was worse as a temporary green in front of the green under repair. Our group used the two putt rule and would have finished in less than hour and half except for slow play. Tee boxes and other areas around the greens were also in bad shape. Traps would be good if golfers would take time to rake. Course is probably only open to accommodate all the golfers wanting to play during the snowbird season.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
My understanding is the executive courses are assigned to specific country clubs for maintenance. These courses should be receiving the same type of maintenance as their championship counterparts.

IHO the executive course greens are in bad shape due to much higher play than the country clubs, lack of rain, and more inexperienced players not properly doing their part in maintaining the greens (and course). My solution is to close the executive courses one day a week. It gives the courses a chance to heal.
I worked at golf courses in many different areas, including Florida for 35 years. The courses that I worked at in Florida were extremely busy in the winter months and they were well maintained. The amount of play certainly has an impact but that can be offset with proper maintenance. of course it always comes down to money. I would rather see the Villages put less into changing the flowers and mulch every couple of month and spend more on the golf courses.

The championship courses seem to be making plenty of money but they are, for the most part in sub standard condition as well. Not as bad as the executives, of course, but no where as good as they could be.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:16 AM
Default Pimlico golf course

Quote:
Pimlico was unplayable. Seems like they lost the whole course to some type of disease.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs1111 View Post
Pimlico was unplayable. Seems like they lost the whole course to some type of disease.
I don't buy weather/frequent play argument. Yankee Clipper was beautiful condition and so was Amberwood/Oakleigh. In fact most of the Nothern/Southern courses are very playable but not for the middle part. The worsts are Pimlico/Churchill/Belmont but Truman/Roosevelt and right behind. I wonder these courses are managed by the same crew..
Old 03-28-2021, 09:46 AM

We played Belmont Friday. It was really bad. Pimlico too. Greens we almost bare on some holes.
Closed Thread

Tags
shape, good, green, greens, group

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.