Executive Course Greens in Deplorable Condition

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2019, 03:03 AM
Default Greens Aeration

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGolf View Post
There is a new piece of equipment called Air2G2 built by a Jacksonville company that shoots air into the greens and avoids the old way of aeration. You can play on the greens immediately after it’s completed

The Air2G2, which is painted blue, looks like just another greens mower. Except instead of blades, it’s got three large circular pads beneath its midsection. They’re 2 feet apart and each pad has one injection point. The pads are pressed down on the turf, then compressed air is injected into the ground. It reaches as far as 12 inches underground in two blasts, breaking up compacted turf.

◼ Watch: The Air2G2 in action

In use, the Air2G2 moves slowly, injecting air, advancing 3 feet and injecting air again, and so on. It leaves behind only a few holes — approximately 2 percent as many as traditional aerating, Jones figures — and play may resume immediately.
This machine is used on some courses, south of 466a.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:21 PM

Other than the greens that seem to be rotted (actually looks like over watering ) the fairways are way too short. It's almost like hitting off plain curt. The grass will. Never recover if they continually scalp the fairways every day. I'm not an expert by no means but I do have eyes. Half the fairways are no more than dirt and they still mow them. This I just my opinion for what it's worth.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:38 PM

It is not being used by any of the Executive courses. Can you identify which course is currently or has been using?
Old 04-08-2019, 09:55 AM
Default Condition of the greens on Executive Courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomterrif View Post
In my experience it is not ball marks causing the problem, it is large grassless spots in the greens, incompetent and poorly timed aeration, mindless operation of equipment damaging the greens, and lack of grass care. On one course I saw three greens damaged by leaking fluid... you have to wonder if the operator was half asleep... pure amateurism. I agree they are on the way to busting the bubble. In general the greens north of 466 seem to be in better shape than those to the south... have no idea why
The greens north of 466 are in better condition because they get less play. They get less play because the average age of residents north of 466 is greater than the average age of residents south of 466 and the older residents either don't play as much or maybe no longer play at all. For those of us who live south (almost to SR44), it is too long of a ride in a golf cart to play a nine hole course north of 466. Also, many residents south of SR44 are playing the courses north of SR44 and south of 466. That will get to be a bigger problem once the bridges over SR44 have been completed.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:13 AM
Default Condition of the Greens on Executive Courses

Quote:
Again this year, the Executive course greens are in deplorable condition. An embarrassment and one that could have been corrected. No this is not caused by excessive footsteps but by management opting to not overseed and elect to have residents instead putt on green dirt. Come on folks. Too late for this year but invest in our courses next year and give us something to play on. Heads need to roll.
I could not agree more. It has become almost impossible to putt on some of the greens. On some of the courses, there appears to be two different types of grass growing in patches all over the same green. In reality, it may be a disease problem with the grass. On one course we recently played, the grass on the green had been removed in rectangular sections and new grass had been installed in its place; however, the sizes of the rectangles of new grass did not match the sizes of the rectangles that had been removed, resulting in ruts and bumps. Many of the greens have recently been aerated and sanded, making them difficult to putt on. I guess the bottom line is should they close these courses for longer periods of time to allow them to be properly repaired, spend more money to repair them properly or find people who really know how to properly repair the courses? The answers to all of those questions should be "YES"; however, the end result will be less availability and/or potentially higher costs to play golf. I think management has chosen to let more people play at the lowest cost. In the end, you get what you pay for.

None of those problems are caused by the players. I agree that many players don't rake traps, but I also know from experience that there are not enough rakes in many traps. Having one or two rakes in some of the very large traps makes it time consuming to go a long way just to get a rake and it just slows down play. During a recent round, we found that the sand in some traps had just been replaced with new sand of a different type and color than sand that had not been newly replaced in the other traps, making it difficult to play out of the traps due to lack of consistency. That is not a player problem, but strictly a maintenance problem.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Just played Volusia (near the Sarasota Driving Range). Entire course in very good condition - greens, close to excellent. Of course I may be biased - played pretty well today too...
Old 04-08-2019, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Something I think the superintendents should investigate, is the feasibility of closing a couple of greens at a time to try and get them healthy...and set up 'temporary greens.'

Most of us who have played where there is a winter, have played courses in early spring...where this was done.

A small discount could be offered, allowing time to remediate some problem greens without closing the entire course, while still bringing in revenue...and could turn out to be a win-win.

Of course, an 'automatic two putt rule'...needs to apply.

As long as not too many greens were so designated on a specific 9...I personally would still play them.

BTW - You can still post scores to GHIN...with temporary greens.

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/hom...my-score-.html

Old 04-08-2019, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stujake View Post
The greens north of 466 are in better condition because they get less play. They get less play because the average age of residents north of 466 is greater than the average age of residents south of 466 and the older residents either don't play as much or maybe no longer play at all. For those of us who live south (almost to SR44), it is too long of a ride in a golf cart to play a nine hole course north of 466. Also, many residents south of SR44 are playing the courses north of SR44 and south of 466. That will get to be a bigger problem once the bridges over SR44 have been completed.
If you check available tee times at the northern courses you will see this is not true.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Again this year, the Executive course greens are in deplorable condition. An embarrassment and one that could have been corrected. No this is not caused by excessive footsteps but by management opting to not overseed and elect to have residents instead putt on green dirt. Come on folks. Too late for this year but invest in our courses next year and give us something to play on. Heads need to roll.
Agree 100%. Played Sandhill Sunday: like putting in my back yard.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:50 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Emerging Alternative to Overseeding

Overseeding a golf course requires time, labor and money, and inconveniences golfers during the grow-in times. Is there a better alternative? There might be one emerging.

Some golf courses have experimented over the years with coloring, or painting, their dormant turfgrass, rather than overseeding it. It sounds kind of silly, but as the quality of the "turf colorants" has improved, and best-practices for doing it have been shared among greenskeepers, coloring (at least of the dormant greens) is catching on with more golf courses. Overseeding is still more common for now.

A case study of the use of turf colorants published by the USGA Green Section concluded:

"The majority of golfers could not tell the difference between fairways treated with turf colorants and the conventional overseeding practices. Low-handicap players at the course especially preferred the colorant-treated playing surfaces. Turf colorants provide excellent visual definition during the winter and eliminate the poor playing conditions during the overseed transition periods. Of course, there were some golfers who were not happy with the change and preferred the overseeded fairways, but for the most part the reaction has been extremely positive."
Old 04-08-2019, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

For me, as long as there is a vestige of grass in the fairways and I'm not hitting off of bare dirt...the condition of the green is the most important.

Even if the greens are not all that fast (which I personally prefer), as long as they're fairly consistent without large bare/sodded sections...I'm reasonably satisfied.

These days, I've actually been hoping to get in the rough instead of the fairway though...because it's usually a better lie.

On the positive side though, even topped shots or smothered hooks (the primary bane of my game ) can run forever, and if the ball is lucky enough to stay in play...can make you feel like a hero after your tee shot.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:49 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paporter View Post
Here goes 90% of the problem in The Villages, the developer allowing people to buy investment home(s) to rent out during the “season”. And people moving out of their homes and renting them out during season, just to make money! The renters are the problem, they have no vested interest in keeping the courses, picking up dog poop, allowing children to drive golf carts and, respecting our way of life! People can not be allowed to rent their homes out less than 6 months! I see advertising for weekly and biweekly rentals, what we have is a vacation club, not a retirement village(s)!
So it's "The Developer's" fault that people buy investment homes (because The Developer would know that when they sell them). Can't you just say "The problem is that people that buy homes to rent don't have a vested interest...". Not that I agree or not. But why is it always the Developer's problem???
Closed Thread

Tags
year, executive, greens, deplorable, condition

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.