Executive Course Maintenance Information

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2021, 09:29 AM
Default Executive Course Maintenance Information

Everyone that golfs our Executive courses have experienced poor to terrible conditions on one course or another. We have to complain to the right people. Here is the name and email for Mitch Leininger, who is the Director of Executive Golf Maintenance. His name and email were published in todays Daily Sun newspaper, but if you did not see it here it is. mitch.leininger@districtgov.org. Or, his phone is 352-674-1885. As well as complaining on line, let Mitch know what you are experiencing and your frustration. Maybe we can make a difference!
Old 02-11-2021, 09:52 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Good luck there.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arickis View Post
Everyone that golfs our Executive courses have experienced poor to terrible conditions on one course or another. We have to complain to the right people. Here is the name and email for Mitch Leininger, who is the Director of Executive Golf Maintenance. His name and email were published in todays Daily Sun newspaper, but if you did not see it here it is. mitch.leininger@districtgov.org. Or, his phone is 352-674-1885. As well as complaining on line, let Mitch know what you are experiencing and your frustration. Maybe we can make a difference!
Our Director of Executive golf maintenance spent the first 12 years of his working career in the airline industry. His field was information and logistics. Though he "transitioned" as they say into high end golf course maintenance, in my opinion he is in way over his head trying to manage our dozens of Executive courses. Somehow our District decision makers settled for this hire. I'm not optimistic about many of our execs staying open for the late spring and summer months. Time will tell.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:

And "if you did not see it here it is"

2.6 million rounds of golf played on our executive courses last year. That was in the same story on page C-4 today's Daily Sun

I think that may have been worth mentioning.
Old 02-12-2021, 06:01 AM
Default Executive course conditions

Maybe it's not Mitch we should reach out to. Perhaps it is better to reach his boss. Anyone know who that would be?
If Mitch is in over his head, he may not share our concerns , but ditch them.

One trip to Baseline golf course will tell you all you need to know about keeping courses looking good, especially the greens. And they get tons of play up there in Belleview.
Mitch, I'm sure your a nice guy, but these courses need some love.
Is it money? Know-how? Apathy??
Old 02-12-2021, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebee007 View Post
Maybe it's not Mitch we should reach out to. Perhaps it is better to reach his boss. Anyone know who that would be?

One trip to Baseline golf course will tell you all you need to know about keeping courses looking good, especially the greens. And they get tons of play up there in Belleview.
You don't know? https://www.districtgov.org/images/O...pdf?v=20210104

Last edited by CWGUY; 02-12-2021 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:29 AM
Default Exec courses

Quote:
IMHO, if you don't have good greens, you don't have a golf course. I've not played every Exec course, but enough of them to know if they were a stand alone 9 hole they would never survive financially.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:56 PM

I know 5hat the staff of every championship course are responsible for various 3xecutive courses around them. One would think that this would solve the problems.

It used to be that all the courses were overseeded in the winter wit rye which will grow like crazy and about at the right time in the spring it will die as the regular grass becomes active. It was really nice. That had long been stopped so we now play almost off dirt.

The championship get in my opinion only the first go around for maintenance and time left to executive. The execs are so abused, greens not cut every day, holes not moved every day, etc. Way down south I don't see or platy. There isn't a championship course down there to take care of the execs. So I don't know what they do.

We certainly could use some experienced motivated mgmt team. From the top down
Old 02-12-2021, 06:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebee007 View Post

What is tons of play?
Old 02-13-2021, 02:01 AM
Default Havana Golf Course

Havana is in horrible shape. The greens are ridiculous.
Bunkers are not maintained and the tee boxes are clearly pasture material.
Fairways are ok for this time of year.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:13 PM

While I agree that much is to be desired from our maintenance crew, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out the abuse these courses take from our friendly neighbors. You know who you are - you "sneak"onto the courses after the starters leave, drive your carts everywhere and anywhere, never fix a divot or a ball mark and use the course as your private practice course. Can you go into any of the recreation centers after hours? Are you able to dip into any of the pools for a "midnight swim"? Why, then, do you presume to feel the golf courses are fair game? If there is no starter to check you in, verify that you are a resident and not a guest and that your trail fee is paid, the course is closed. No matter what you believe is "tradition", if you are using the facilities after supervision is gone, you are trespassing and are guilty of "theft of services". While no one can actually prosecute you and you are, obviously, able to get away with this deplorable behavior, you are contributing to the deterioration of our communally owned asset. The behavior of some golfers during legitimate play is bad enough, but you add insult to injury and the maintenance crew has all it can do to keep up with In hours damage.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:26 PM

You have hit the nail on the head. we see it daily. People riding the greens looking for balls. They should learn to walk a bit and get some exercise. After hours is worse.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:14 AM
Veteran member

Three years ago they replaced the 5 dead Palm trees on one of the holes at Yankee Clipper. A year later one died and they took it out. Two months later another died and it has been sitting there dead for 2 years. I don't blame the maintenance staff, but the dead tree should have been replaced by the company that put them in. Shabby.
Closed Thread

Tags
executive, email, mitch, maintenance, phone

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.