Executive Course Ratings "Friendly" to "Challenging"

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2015, 08:12 PM
Default Executive Course Ratings "Friendly" to "Challenging"

Newby asking: where can I find a listing of all courses' ratings? I remember seeing this, but can't locate it now. As I recall the ratings are 1-4. We found the number 3 we played on during the preview week somewhat more than a pitch and put. That was on Mallory Hill I believe, are all #3s created equal? That's why I would like to have a course rating list so we can make notes as we play around The Villages. Thanks so much for any guidance you can give.

Last edited by Ad poster; 06-22-2015 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:05 PM

The follwing is from the Good Golf Guide. You can see the entire guide on the Golf The Villages website.

Executive Courses Playability Ratings
The executive courses have been rated for difficulty on a scale of 1–4, with 1 being the friendliest and 4 being the most challenging.

Level 1
• Chula Vista
• El Santiago
• Turtle Mound

Level 2
• Bogart
• De La Vista
• Hawkes Bay
• Hill Top Pimlico
• Saddlebrook
• Sandhill
• Silver Lake

Level 3
• Bacall
• Briarwood
• Bonita Pass
• Churchill Greens El Diablo
• Heron
• Mira Mesa
• Oakleigh Redfish Run
• Southern Star
• Tarpon Boil Walnut Grove
• Yankee Clipper
• Palmetto
• Sweetgum
• Volusia

Level 4
• Amberwood
• Belmont
• Pelican Roosevelt
• Truman
• Mangrove

Last edited by Ad poster; 06-25-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:31 AM
Default Course Rating List (w/Bullets Corrected)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan View Post
The follwing is from the Good Golf Guide. You can see the entire guide on the Golf The Villages website.

Executive Courses Playability Ratings
The executive courses have been rated for difficulty on a scale of 1–4, with 1 being the friendliest and 4 being the most challenging.

Level 1
• Chula Vista
• El Santiago
• Turtle Mound

Level 2
• Bogart
• De La Vista
• Hawkes Bay
• Hill Top
• Pimlico
• Saddlebrook
• Sandhill
• Silver Lake

Level 3
• Bacall
• Briarwood
• Bonita Pass
• Churchill Greens
• El Diablo
• Heron
• Mira Mesa
• Oakleigh
• Redfish Run
• Southern Star
• Tarpon Boil
• Walnut Grove
• Yankee Clipper
• Palmetto
• Sweetgum
• Volusia

Level 4
• Amberwood
• Belmont
• Pelican Roosevelt
• Truman
• Mangrove
A few of the bullets were missing from the original post making for some unusual course names.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:14 AM
Sage

There are three tees on each hole on each course. So a level 4 course can easily be a level 1 course by playing the most forward tees or going to the drop zone.

If you are new to the game don't get cought up on "golf rules". For example "golf rules" say that if you start out on the hardest tees, the black tees, you have to hit from the black tees for the entire round. You do need to pay attention to "golf etiquette". Etiquette is a social rule, like not holding up the line.

Go to any course, any rating and play from the tees comfortable for you. Etiquette dictates you don't spend any more than 8-10 minutes on any hole or you are holding up the line. After 8 minutes pick up the ball and go to the next hole if it's open.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:21 AM
Veteran member

Another social golf rule of thumb - double par.

Once your strokes on a hole are double the par for the hole pick up and go on.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:18 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,299 Times in 536 Posts

Stop talking and play golf---unless you are being "held up" by the group in front of you.

The levels are a guide not meant for a USGA handicap. What I have observed in TV that contributes to a lot of slow play is playing from the wrong set of tees for a golfers skill level.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:48 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcdonald View Post
Another social golf rule of thumb - double par.

Once your strokes on a hole are double the par for the hole pick up and go on.
its called the Callaway rule here in TV
Old 06-26-2015, 01:58 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Stop talking and play golf---unless you are being "held up" by the group in front of you.

The levels are a guide not meant for a USGA handicap. What I have observed in TV that contributes to a lot of slow play is playing from the wrong set of tees for a golfers skill level.
so your advocating that unless you can be consistent in hitting the green from the black tees you need to move up? accuracy on a second shot means nothing? Standing over a putt for 30+ seconds doesn't slow the game down? In the pocket isn't a consideration?
Let's not even discuss those guys that hawk balls

I can play any tees on the executive course and get done in the same amount of time as do many of the guys I play with and score about the same when i bother scoring. I completed 9 holes with three other guys in an hour the other day from the black tees because we all played ready golf

I agree with the useless talk and I especially agree that some folks will never understand ready golf

Essentially the "your playing from the wrong tees"is a catch-all to explain slow play but slow play has many fathers

The Golf Industry is pushing faster golf because they lost over 5 million people who stopped playing. But they ignore a bad economy where people just can't afford golf or its expensive equipment , lessons, clothes etc. And those, unlike many of us,
understood that they never would be able to beat golf

So i do my part to move the game along on the executive courses but some days I want to play black other gold, heck i may want to work on my short game and play green and white suits me fine for championship.

Personal Best Regards:
Old 06-26-2015, 02:01 PM
Gold member
Default " Etiquette is a social rule, like not holding up the line."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
There are three tees on each hole on each course. So a level 4 course can easily be a level 1 course by playing the most forward tees or going to the drop zone.

If you are new to the game don't get cought up on "golf rules". For example "golf rules" say that if you start out on the hardest tees, the black tees, you have to hit from the black tees for the entire round. You do need to pay attention to "golf etiquette". Etiquette is a social rule, like not holding up the line.

Go to any course, any rating and play from the tees comfortable for you. Etiquette dictates you don't spend any more than 8-10 minutes on any hole or you are holding up the line. After 8 minutes pick up the ball and go to the next hole if it's open.
Not just social as there is no penalty for not raking the sand trap you go in, or stepping on an opponents ball...etiquette is how you behave while playing and things you should not(or should-ie: tend the pin if you're the first to hole out)do.

As to your time limits...while you're idea may appeal to you it isn't realistic in any round of golf...9x8=72 and preferred playing time is 1.5 to 1.75hours....just try not to dawdle as best you can.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
Not just social as there is no penalty for not raking the sand trap you go in, or stepping on an opponents ball...etiquette is how you behave while playing and things you should not(or should-ie: tend the pin if you're the first to hole out)do.

As to your time limits...while you're idea may appeal to you it isn't realistic in any round of golf...9x8=72 and preferred playing time is 1.5 to 1.75hours....just try not to dawdle as best you can.
Since there is no golf penalty or course rule---etiquette is a social rule.
The tee off times are 9 minutes apart. Eight to ten minutes a hole is reasonable and something a beginner can measure. How many minutes does dawdling take?
Old 09-15-2015, 06:30 AM

Have they published the course ratings of the 3 new Executive Courses that are opening October 5th?
Old 09-15-2015, 06:36 AM
Sage

The starter told me that Volusia will be the easiest of the 3. From the gold tees it is pretty short.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:03 AM
Sage

Sarasota will be a level 1.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:49 PM
Gold member
Default So I take it when you play "easy"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
The starter told me that Volusia will be the easiest of the 3. From the gold tees it is pretty short.
courses you hit every green and sink every putt? A course is only easy if you're hitting the ball exceptionally well...if you aren't then it's not easy....
Old 10-03-2015, 08:51 AM

Xxx

Last edited by Old Mil; 10-03-2015 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Duplicate
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.