Golf course watering

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2020, 08:01 PM
Default Golf course watering

I recently heard that this courses in the southern area are not in as good condition as the ones up north. Specifically Belle Glade, Evans Prairie, Bonifay and Havana. The reason given was water restrictions. Any truth ?
Old 06-17-2020, 09:16 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

play the courses and you decide.

Old 06-18-2020, 05:26 AM
Veteran member

No true IMO
Old 06-18-2020, 06:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

that's just hearsay

don't believe everything that you hear from some self proclaimed know-it-all in the locker room...he's just blowing smoke

and so what if that's the case...would you let that ruin a chance to get out on the links and enjoy chasing that
little white ball around with 3 other folks....well I guess you could if you choose to let it

keep it in perspective, it's a big field that they mow, with bumps in it and sandy spots, straight shots and dog legs...don't worry be happy that you are playing

there's a guy in our neighborhood that is very unhappy about the way his lawn looks...he keeps changing his lawn mowing service because someone told him that another guy does a better job...it's just grass, and his lawn doesn't look any better than everyone else's

keep ya head down
Old 06-18-2020, 09:24 AM
Sage

Every championship course has a water quota set by swfmd. It is often adjusted based on rain conditions.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

I heard d from a waitress, who heard from the bartender , who heard from his barber that there are 4 foot moles eating the grass on the courses out here. I’m thankful that we have feral pigs( I’m still hoping to see one) to combat the moles . Thank God for this site or I would never know how bad things were down here in South without it
Old 06-19-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peddieace View Post
I recently heard that this courses in the southern area are not in as good condition as the ones up north. Specifically Belle Glade, Evans Prairie, Bonifay and Havana. The reason given was water restrictions. Any truth ?
Evans Prairie was closed for a couple of days a week ago after the heavy rains, and Belle Glade for a day, plus had rough only some days after.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:26 AM
Send a message via AIM to Grill Meister Send a message via Yahoo to Grill Meister

I used to work for GMS, which managed all of the golf courses, and we habitually griped about Palmer getting more water than any of the other courses. We were told that the amount of water any course received was based on the number of home-sites on that particular course. All of that is controlled by the county water department. As far as I know, the water department has total control of the golf course watering.....no other entity is involved.

Last edited by Grill Meister; 06-19-2020 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-19-2020, 08:57 AM
Sage

One fact is that the Villages golf courses in Marion and Lake counties are in a different water management district than those in Sumter county.

I have "heard" that the water restrictions are different, that the Villages golf courses in Marion and Lake can use more water than in Sumter.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:59 AM

it is true but I do not know the reason why. I assumed it was because the courses were not as established as the older, northern courses.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:15 PM
Sage

When I was a member of a group that met with the district director of executive course maintenance and GMS regarding course maintenance it was explained this way. Courses above 466 were allocated water independent of the allocation for homes and it was sufficient for all uses. When TV moved south it was given an allocation that included both golf course, common areas, and homes with golf courses the lowest priority. So the more water from the system takes to augment the reclaimed water for home irrigation, the less water was available for golf courses, both executive and championship. However, when a new course is constructed, they get an exemption for a period for grow in.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
When I was a member of a group that met with the district director of executive course maintenance and GMS regarding course maintenance it was explained this way. Courses above 466 were allocated water independent of the allocation for homes and it was sufficient for all uses. When TV moved south it was given an allocation that included both golf course, common areas, and homes with golf courses the lowest priority. So the more water from the system takes to augment the reclaimed water for home irrigation, the less water was available for golf courses, both executive and championship. However, when a new course is constructed, they get an exemption for a period for grow in.
Makes sense but what doesn’t make sense is the difference of conditions among courses south of 466. For example, Cane Garden’s courses are in much better shape than Bonifay for example. Don’t know if the same maintenance group manages both courses but there is a difference. One other reason which I have personally witnessed is the irrigation patterns. Makes no sense to me that the spray and distance are not adjusted properly as I have seen water being sprayed into retention basins rather than being adjusted to spray just on areas that require. They can be adjusted, replaced or new heads put in a different location. I know the maintenance people see this as I have seen them watching the arc of spray pattern.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:18 AM
Veteran member

One of the biggest issues that I see is that the maintenance folks mow , better yet SCALP the grass they are mowing. As a result, the incessant hard pan all over the courses. No or little grass around the greens so it’s difficult to hit a nice chip .

Not all of the courses are the same in that some are better than others in that respect as others have pointed out .

If the maintenance crew were to raise their mowers , you would see a dramatic improvement in a very short time .....
Old 07-01-2020, 06:34 AM

Quote:
I played Evans Prairie last week and Bonifay yesterday. Both were in excellent shape. Watering does not take the place of rain. We have had virtually no rain this year.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Havana is north of 466A and isn't subject to those same water restrictions as south of 466A. I just played Bonifay yesterday and it is in great shape, both fairways and greens. I'm playing Havana tomorrow and it never seems to be in great shape, albeit adequate. With all this rain, I can't imagine any course here not being in great shape right now. Our main problem has been getting in 18 holes before it rains. Life is just so tough here.
Closed Thread

Tags
belle, glade, evans, prairie, bonifay

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.