Golf Etiquette - Cigarette Butts

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2021, 01:07 PM
Default Golf Etiquette - Cigarette Butts

As an ambassador who works executive and championship courses, I frequently find cigarette butts (some still burning) on tee boxes and around the greens. Part of my job is to clear away the broken tees, trash that may have blown onto the tee boxes and greens and filling divots as well as fixing fresh ball marks on the greens. I have noticed that over the past year, the number of cigarette butts discarded on the tee boxes has increased significantly. Besides being a health issue, this type of unnecessary trash is disgusting. Is it too much to ask that smokers buy a small ashtray to put in their carts and not discard their butts on the course? Ambassadors are responsible for regular "clean-up" before and after the golfers play. Please be considerate, not only to your fellow golfers, but to the workers and maintenance staff. We want your golf experience to be enjoyable for everyone.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:11 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

And the damn cigars! And watch your masks, they are as much of a problem as the cigars and cigarette butts! Disgusting!
Old 02-21-2021, 01:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,587 Times in 566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
You would think after decades of danger of smoking 🚬 the DS’s would of quit by now?
If they have smoked entire adult life, why quit now? It’s not like quitting will give them extra years, let them enjoy one of the lifelong habitats. But I agree pick up your butts, not just on the course, but around ponds, residents property, and the road
Old 02-21-2021, 02:19 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

I thought the only thing ambassador’s do was ride around. I have never seen an ambassador doing the things u say u r supposed to do
Old 02-21-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne19335 View Post
As an ambassador who works executive and championship courses, I frequently find cigarette butts (some still burning) on tee boxes and around the greens. Part of my job is to clear away the broken tees, trash that may have blown onto the tee boxes and greens and filling divots as well as fixing fresh ball marks on the greens. I have noticed that over the past year, the number of cigarette butts discarded on the tee boxes has increased significantly. Besides being a health issue, this type of unnecessary trash is disgusting. Is it too much to ask that smokers buy a small ashtray to put in their carts and not discard their butts on the course? Ambassadors are responsible for regular "clean-up" before and after the golfers play. Please be considerate, not only to your fellow golfers, but to the workers and maintenance staff. We want your golf experience to be enjoyable for everyone.
Probably the same people that throw their butts out when driving in their car. I believe most cars come with ashtrays.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:12 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
Probably the same people that throw their butts out when driving in their car. I believe most cars come with ashtrays.
Not anymore. Automakers started to silently phase them out sometime in the mid 90’s. By the 2000’s, most cars only offered them as optional features. Today, many cars don’t even do that.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
Not anymore. Automakers started to silently phase them out sometime in the mid 90’s. By the 2000’s, most cars only offered them as optional features. Today, many cars don’t even do that.
Ash trays was where you put your change. I just wish they hadn't phased out CD players.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
I thought the only thing ambassador’s do was ride around. I have never seen an ambassador doing the things u say u r supposed to do
Wrong,
Old 02-21-2021, 03:28 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbad1 View Post
Wrong,
agree - I've seen a share of butts, as well on our streets and MM paths. One thing haven't seen on courses yet - the infanous dog poop. Well, I 've had my share of crappy shots in TV, but I try to clean off my clubs really well after.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I don't know what goes on at an executives, maybe the ambassadors are too busy with water and sand because I haven't played one in at least five years. However, the championship courses, I haven't played a round in ten years where I didn't see an ambassador picking up broken tees, or filling divots on the tees.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:04 PM
Location: Newburgh NY, Berwick PA, Grand Forks ND, Tampa Fl, Wenatchee Wash, TN, OK, TX, NC, OH, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
If they have smoked entire adult life, why quit now? It’s not like quitting will give them extra years, let them enjoy one of the lifelong habitats. But I agree pick up your butts, not just on the course, but around ponds, residents property, and the road
This hits home for me. My mom n dad smoked for 60 years. Both had a list of health issues. Mom was an old roller derby gal and dad a boxer. Both were as tough as nails and neither backed down from a fight. As a boy I seen both in fists fights with their same sex. True story! One day mom’s doctor told her make preparations to die, he said only thing to help is quit smoking immediately and she did! A surprise for sure and she is alive yet. Dad’s doctor said you have smoked all these years, if you want to smoke then smoke. He lasted a few years and died. A man with 20” arms and powerful man was brought to a frail man in the hospital, that gasped for every breath. Hoses in nose, mouth and throat to gain another minute of life. The cigarette commercials always portrayed the smokers as cool and sexy but didn’t show a man like dad on his deathbed. Please if you smoke, then quit! It may give you a better quality of life later. You will smell better too
Old 02-21-2021, 11:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

Disgusting habit, after watching my beloved father die of lung cancer I will never understand how someone can knowingly kill them self?
Old 02-22-2021, 05:57 AM

No they don't.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:59 AM

Well then do your job and clean up.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:05 AM

Wife watched her father die from lung cancer took a long time and was not pretty to watch She had not been able to quit before but quit the day he died 20years ago hasn't smoked since
Closed Thread

Tags
butts, boxes, greens, tee, cigarette

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.