Golf Etiquette - Cigarette Butts

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2021, 06:18 AM

Funny you address this as the players being the ones smoking. I have noticed a LOT of Starters smoking while standing out front of check in area and Ambassadors driving around in carts.
You have to practice what you preach.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
I thought the only thing ambassador’s do was ride around. I have never seen an ambassador doing the things u say u r supposed to do
Sorry, you are very wrong about that. Now, if people cleaned up after themselves and fixed their divots (at the tee box and on the green) there might be less for them to do.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:11 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceygolf View Post
Funny you address this as the players being the ones smoking. I have noticed a LOT of Starters smoking while standing out front of check in area and Ambassadors driving around in carts.
You have to practice what you preach.
That's a bunch of crap and you know it. Smoking in view of public while on whatever shift is not allowed. I know a few guys that have gotten reprimanded for it. Some people need to STFU when it comes to talking crap, and believing they know what the staff's duties are.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:28 AM

I agree with you! They do it because they have no respect or consideration for the players, nor the employees who work hard to keep our courses clean.
If they can’t wait until they are finished playing, then they should carry an ashtray with them.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:40 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I don't know what goes on at an executives, maybe the ambassadors are too busy with water and sand because I haven't played one in at least five years. However, the championship courses, I haven't played a round in ten years where I didn't see an ambassador picking up broken tees, or filling divots on the tees.
Same on the executive courses. The ambassadors do the best they can but we need to help. If you see someone drop a cig ask them to please pick that up. Or pick it and give it back to them. Respect.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I am speaking from my experience SA
Well maybe you should open your eyes and you're experiences would be expanded.

Also, ambassadors normally clean up the course at the end of the day before they go in to the cart barn. There is not as many golfers to watch them at that time. If you were there you would see them putting rakes back in the traps that are left out by golfers that don't know the right procedure. Picking up trash including cigarettes and nasty cigars. Cleaning tee boxes. Repairing divots. Repairing ball marks......yeah they do a lot more than riding around.

Also regarding just riding around,,,,,when ambassadors do try to advise golfers that they are out of position and ask that they pick up their pace they are some times verbally (and on more than one occasion physically)abused. It seems some of the golfers out there are so much more experienced about how a golf course should be run that they always know better.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:45 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1921 View Post
Well maybe you should open your eyes and you're experiences would be expanded.

Also, ambassadors normally clean up the course at the end of the day before they go in to the cart barn. There is not as many golfers to watch them at that time. If you were there you would see them putting rakes back in the traps that are left out by golfers that don't know the right procedure. Picking up trash including cigarettes and nasty cigars. Cleaning tee boxes. Repairing divots. Repairing ball marks......yeah they do a lot more than riding around.

Also regarding just riding around,,,,,when ambassadors do try to advise golfers that they are out of position and ask that they pick up their pace they are some times verbally (and on more than one occasion physically)abused. It seems some of the golfers out there are so much more experienced about how a golf course should be run that they always know better.
Thank you! Also with a full tee sheet there is no way an Ambassador can perform all their duties, yes DUTIES, we would just get in the way of play and **** more of you off than we normally do.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I thought the only thing ambassador’s do was ride around. I have never seen an ambassador doing the things u say u r supposed to do
As a former ambassador I have picked up orange peels, banana peels, apple cores. Animals or birds don't eat these. The worst is pistachio shells at the tee box.
Ambassadors also fill divots that players don't. Fix ball marks that players don't.
Treat the golf course like you own it...you kinda do on the execs, not like some who feel entitled to do what they want because someone else will do it.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:02 AM

Golf etiquette is certainly nothing new - and there are many who are not aware that they should care for the courses they play or feel that their fees include someone cleaning up after them.

By the way - Replacing divots is mentioned in the golf rules of 1891.

Finally, “Respect for the rules, the golf course and the player ensures a consistent future for a pastime that has endured for more than 500 years” - Ben Crenshaw, Forward, Golf Etiquette

Bottom line: the course isn't a trash bin. If you smoke carry out your butts. Replace or fix your divots and ball marks. If you do not know how, google it.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:27 AM

It is really aggravating when I see discarded butts anywhere on the courses. Some people are inconsiderate and lazy. I used to pick them up and put them in the next tee trash can but with covid, I stopped doing that. They sell those those little butt can/ashtrays that will fit in beverage holders for a buck or so. I wish they could require them on the courses if you are a smoker.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:28 AM

I have often seen ambassadors clean up tee boxes and repair ball marks on the green. I even had one stop to warn of a Snake near the walking path on an executive course (I usually walk). Cigarette butts can carry the virus. Please dispose of them properly.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne19335 View Post
As an ambassador who works executive and championship courses, I frequently find cigarette butts (some still burning) on tee boxes and around the greens. Part of my job is to clear away the broken tees, trash that may have blown onto the tee boxes and greens and filling divots as well as fixing fresh ball marks on the greens. I have noticed that over the past year, the number of cigarette butts discarded on the tee boxes has increased significantly. Besides being a health issue, this type of unnecessary trash is disgusting. Is it too much to ask that smokers buy a small ashtray to put in their carts and not discard their butts on the course? Ambassadors are responsible for regular "clean-up" before and after the golfers play. Please be considerate, not only to your fellow golfers, but to the workers and maintenance staff. We want your golf experience to be enjoyable for everyone.
Totally agree. No one should be allowed to golf in The Villages unless they have attended "good golf school." Things like ready golf and fixing divots would make everyone's experience better.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:42 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,557 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
Probably the same people that throw their butts out when driving in their car. I believe most cars come with ashtrays.
Cars have not come with ash trays for years or cigarette lighters. What year is your car?
Old 02-22-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Ash trays was where you put your change. I just wish they hadn't phased out CD players.
I miss my 8-Track.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:50 AM

I have also noticed many butts at tee boxes. Do these smokers toss their butts in their own yards near their front doors? I would guess not. Some smokers are very considerate of others, but seeing the number of butts leads me to believe that most smokers are not. This trash does NOT recycle or decompose contrary to what some smokers claim.
Closed Thread

Tags
butts, boxes, greens, tee, cigarette

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.