Has anyone played the Silver Lake course lately?

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2021, 07:03 AM
Default Has anyone played the Silver Lake course lately?

Planning to return soon to TV and wonder if the work on the Silver Lake course has been completed yet and, if so, how is the course now?
Old 09-18-2021, 08:23 AM
Gold member

Work not completed yet
Old 09-18-2021, 08:32 PM

scheduled to open around November 1st
Old 09-20-2021, 05:31 AM

Still closed
Old 09-20-2021, 07:38 AM
Veteran member

As it gets close to the “official “ opening, you can go on the tee time system to see if it’s available. If it is, it’s open ….
Old 09-29-2021, 05:25 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarinet View Post
Planning to return soon to TV and wonder if the work on the Silver Lake course has been completed yet and, if so, how is the course now?
Just played Silver Lake. I was wondering why there were no tee markers or flags
Old 10-02-2021, 08:30 AM
Thumbs down Disappointed in the "new" Silver Lake Course

I walked around the "new and improved" Silver Lake course last week. I was very disappointed in what I saw. With the budget they had to work with I expected to see some real improvements. The cart paths are still bad. They didn't do anything to improve the two bad holes, #2 & #8. All they needed to do was to put in a couple new tee boxes. It looked like they still have a couple drainage issues. Maybe they are going to do more in the next couple weeks but as of now I would say it looks like we got ripped off.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmers View Post
I walked around the "new and improved" Silver Lake course last week. I was very disappointed in what I saw. With the budget they had to work with I expected to see some real improvements. The cart paths are still bad. They didn't do anything to improve the two bad holes, #2 & #8. All they needed to do was to put in a couple new tee boxes. It looked like they still have a couple drainage issues. Maybe they are going to do more in the next couple weeks but as of now I would say it looks like we got ripped off.
They hardly ever do anything when they "improve" golf courses. Mostly they just take up the turf and re-sod which is what it looks like they've done to Silver Lake. It also appears that they added a couple of beautification sandy areas which have nothing to do with golf.

A few years back I saw piles of sod over there and was hoping that they'd do something with the second fairway. Instead, they laid all the sod up against the cart paths.

It's a shame but it's not a very good layout and it has some terrible holes (Number two might be the worst hole I've ever seen in my life.) and it's always been in terrible condition. Although I will say that at one point it had the best greens in The Villages.

They had an opportunity to make it a decent little golf course but all they did was waste money.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
What was the budget? I also didn't see much of an improvement. On the ninth hole, they planted bushes to the left to keep people from hitting that way. Maybe the other option "Pitch and Putt" would've been a better deal?
Old 10-05-2021, 05:38 AM

I play Silver lake a lot. There will never be grass on the 2nd or 8th fairways until the huge trees that line both fairways are removed. The roots from those trees are so long they run out under the fairways and suck up all the water. Also, you need SUN to grow grass and those trees shade the areas where they’re trying to grow grass.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:25 AM

Isn't this one of the reasons why they're redoing the whole course????????????
Old 10-14-2021, 09:23 AM
Gold member

I'm in full agreement with this post. I happened to see the latest drone flyover video of Silver Lake (and other courses) by Golfwingnut on Youtube, and saw no real changes in the layout. Agree that #2 and #8 are ridiculous designs. Whoever was in charge of this "improvement" probably never played the course.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:24 AM
Gold member

Quote:
I'm in full agreement with this post. I happened to see the latest drone flyover video of Silver Lake (and other courses) by Golfwingnut on Youtube, and saw no real changes in the layout. Agree that #2 and #8 are ridiculous designs. Whoever was in charge of this "improvement" probably never played the course.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Popeye! View Post
What was the budget? I also didn't see much of an improvement. On the ninth hole, they planted bushes to the left to keep people from hitting that way. Maybe the other option "Pitch and Putt" would've been a better deal?
Just saw the Silver Lake EGC drone flyover video. Still looks like ****.
No wonder no one posted the cost of the upgrade to this year-long mess, they are too embarrassed to do so.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:38 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Popeye! View Post
Just saw the Silver Lake EGC drone flyover video. Still looks like ****.
No wonder no one posted the cost of the upgrade to this year-long mess, they are too embarrassed to do so.

It was never a secret what the renovation would entail;

Village Community Development Districts

And for the approved cost from the AAC of $329,234.00, what did anyone expect?
I personally can't wait to play it.
Closed Thread

Tags
silver, lake, completed, work, return

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.