Hill Top

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2020, 08:35 AM
Default Hill Top

Played this course as part of a double-header yesterday afternoon in The Villages historic part. Only second time I ever played this one and enjoyed the afternoon outing with my wife.

I observed a lot of play in progress during our round. Green sizes were notably smaller and flatter than accustomed to seeing on other courses in The Villages with evidence of weeds on some greens. Balls rolled a little fast on the greens. Fairways & tee boxes in reasonable shape. Elevated locations around the course provided some spectacular views and challenging entry angles to several greens. Overall course in average condition.

The course is a must to play a round on to see the first executive course in The Villages where everything evolved from since its humble beginnings in the 80's. (My error in stating it was the first...as truly was a practice facility revamped later into an executive course. Silver Lake was 1st)

Last edited by ogme480; 12-07-2020 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Correct a statement made on origination
Old 12-07-2020, 08:46 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogme480 View Post

The course is a must to play a round on to see the first executive course in The Villages where everything evolved from since its humble beginnings in the 80's.
Yep cool little course, but Silver lake was the first exec course.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Hilltop was a big improvement over Silver Lake. I only wish that they would do something about the ninth hole.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,051 Times in 2,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogme480 View Post
Played this course as part of a double-header yesterday afternoon in The Villages historic part. Only second time I ever played this one and enjoyed the afternoon outing with my wife.

I observed a lot of play in progress during our round. Green sizes were notably smaller and flatter than accustomed to seeing on other courses in The Villages with evidence of weeds on some greens. Balls rolled a little fast on the greens. Fairways & tee boxes in reasonable shape. Elevated locations around the course provided some spectacular views and challenging entry angles to several greens. Overall course in average condition.

The course is a must to play a round on to see the first executive course in The Villages where everything evolved from since its humble beginnings in the 80's. (My error in stating it was the first...as truly was a practice facility revamped later into an executive course. Silver Lake was 1st)
Did the Parrots in the bird cage between the 8th green and the 9th T box converse with you. My wife always says hello to them and that starts a strange dialogue.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:49 PM

We’re not out
Old 12-08-2020, 08:01 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

I'm still trying to stick the ball on the 1st green. One of these days Alice!
Old 12-08-2020, 08:55 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Hilltop was a big improvement over Silver Lake. I only wish that they would do something about the ninth hole.
Amen. The ninth hole on Hilltop is simply awful. The tee box is situated way left, the green tilts way right, and there is a large tree on the left side that has grown so wide that anyone who hits the ball straight will have little chance of keeping their tee shot on the green. Simply moving the tee box 30 yards to the right would fix 90% of the problem. I have always enjoyed playing Hilltop, but the nine hole is a bad design.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:24 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
Amen. The ninth hole on Hilltop is simply awful. The tee box is situated way left, the green tilts way right, and there is a large tree on the left side that has grown so wide that anyone who hits the ball straight will have little chance of keeping their tee shot on the green. Simply moving the tee box 30 yards to the right would fix 90% of the problem. I have always enjoyed playing Hilltop, but the nine hole is a bad design.
For me two ways to play that hole, full swing high or punch low. I opt for high. I move back from the tee markers as much as allowable, tee up as far right as possible, ball forward and full swing with the 9. Works most of the time. I have more of a problem with the fourth hole, especially when the wind is blowing.....like it does all the time!
Closed Thread

Tags
greens, villages, round, play, afternoon

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.