Pelican Executive Golf Course

Closed Thread
Old 11-05-2021, 09:42 AM
Default Pelican Executive Golf Course

Pelican Executive Golf Course has continued to decline each time that I play it, sadly it could be a great course however whoever is in control of this course it's worse or nothing more than cow pasture pool. Yesterday the greens had so much crab grass ,weeds, and ball marks it should needs so much work. The fairways lacked grass because for some reason the managers elect to mow them into the ground. Even the. cart paths had water over them and. mud. Who ever is managing this course needs to go back to basics and learn to maintain a course. Why are our executive courses quality declining so much. When you contact the Managers they have one excuse after another. It seams like they are only concerned about how many holes we have here in The Villages. Maybe they need to start adding the sink holes also.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3214 View Post
Pelican Executive Golf Course has continued to decline each time that I play it, sadly it could be a great course however whoever is in control of this course it's worse or nothing more than cow pasture pool. Yesterday the greens had so much crab grass ,weeds, and ball marks it should needs so much work. The fairways lacked grass because for some reason the managers elect to mow them into the ground. Even the. cart paths had water over them and. mud. Who ever is managing this course needs to go back to basics and learn to maintain a course. Why are our executive courses quality declining so much. When you contact the Managers they have one excuse after another. It seams like they are only concerned about how many holes we have here in The Villages. Maybe they need to start adding the sink holes also.
Sounds like the are getting the course ready for the Snowbirds, LOL
Old 11-06-2021, 06:21 AM

All courses should be in at least decent shape. I don’t understand if that’s your job, why the conditions are so bad
Old 11-06-2021, 08:09 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

So sad.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:41 PM

This course needs better drainage for sure.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:49 AM
Default Heron Hole #4 Deplorable Conditions

For those who golf, can you please help the residents adjacent to Hole #4 Heron. Have you all seen/experienced the conditions of Heron Hole #4? The constant flooding, mosquitoes (potentially carrying West Nile Virus and others), stench and dangerous conditions when the golf carts are diverted from the flooded out cart path up along the steep embankment of a so-called drain along the property line? The golf cart path gets covered with up to 2 feet of water sometimes. Reaching over 300 feet long and 150 feet wide. I have the Photos to prove it.

My wife and I purchased the house (2020) and spent $120k in renovations over the course of the Covid year and finally moved into our house in April 2021. We have since documented 7 incidents where this area turns into a lake. It never dries out. We thought with a storm drain there would be no water problem. It is not clogged. It is a French drain and it does not work! IT HAS BEEN WET SINCE April 11, 2021. Hole #4 is the ONLY hole on Heron that DOES NOT drain to a retention pond. All the water from the tee to the green goes to this narrow area (approximately 70 ft.) between the golf cart path and the property line, up as high as 10-15 feet from the line.

We can not sit on our lanai's or open windows in the evenings because of the stench. We, along with our neighbors, have begun the arduous task of battling with TV to address and correct this issue.

We need your help! Please only positive comments because negative ones do no good! If You feel inclined to express your disgust with the conditions of Hole #4 Heron please contact:

Mitch Leininger
Director of Executive Golf Course Maintenance
Ph# 352-674-1885
Email -- Mitch.Leininger@DistrictGov.Org

Thank you all for your support with this issue!!!!!
Old 11-07-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
What is worse is that they have trimmed back all of the lovely grasses that made this a beautiful course. The realtors talk about the natural look down south of Rt. 44. Pelican used to have that look too, but now it looks like a desert. Please re-plant the grasses, and let the ones that are there grow again.
Old 11-07-2021, 07:17 PM
Default Do those who read these articles practice ''Good Golf''

Does everyone practice good golf?
Do you fix your divots ?
Do you fix your ball marks on the greens?
Do you ride your Golf Cart right up tp the fringe of the Greens?
I play a lot of Golf here in TVs..and I mean 200 rounds a year.
Always have sand and always a ball mark repair tool with me..!!!

If you're one of those who constantly complain about conditions understand this
You have a lot to do with it. some are out of your control but there is a lot you can do to help

The Irishman
Old 11-07-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2468 View Post
Does everyone practice good golf?
Do you fix your divots ?
Do you fix your ball marks on the greens?
Do you ride your Golf Cart right up tp the fringe of the Greens?
I play a lot of Golf here in TVs..and I mean 200 rounds a year.
Always have sand and always a ball mark repair tool with me..!!!

If you're one of those who constantly complain about conditions understand this
You have a lot to do with it. some are out of your control but there is a lot you can do to help

The Irishman
I totally agree with practicing good golf. But that has nothing to do with cutting down environmentally protected areas to nothing.
Old 11-07-2021, 09:11 PM
Sage

Pelican has been a little rough around the edges since I have been here (2014). The first half of the fairway on the first par 4 is often wet. A good drive, however, puts you well past the wet area. The tee box is sometimes moved up near the fairways bunkers to apparently keep people out of the wet fairway and perhaps speed up play. It will probably take some major surgery to address this issue. The area near the cart path adjacent to the tee box on #8 is often wet. Many of the executives have very short grass on the par 4s - this is nothing unique to Pelican. Regarding ballmarks on the greens, what can I say, they are ubiquitous. I have just come to accept that Pelican is not a manicured course. It is one of my favorites, however, and is fun to play from the black tees.

Quote:

Last edited by biker1; 11-08-2021 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:04 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedleman View Post
What is worse is that they have trimmed back all of the lovely grasses that made this a beautiful course. The realtors talk about the natural look down south of Rt. 44. Pelican used to have that look too, but now it looks like a desert. Please re-plant the grasses, and let the ones that are there grow again.
The grasses will grow back. They butcher them at least once a year just so you can see all the lost golf balls.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:57 AM

I am an ambassador and see the disrespect and disregard to simple golf rules and golfer responsibilities.
Permanent residents and Snowbirds alike.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
The grasses will grow back. They butcher them at least once a year just so you can see all the lost golf balls.
Yup! That's where all of those "slightly used" golf ball bargains come from...

-Tom Petty
Old 11-08-2021, 09:37 AM

Sorry to hear Pelican is in such bad condition. I haven’t played it in a couple years but it’ used to be one of my favorite executives. As far as the grass being short, I found it’s just one of the things one has to get used to get used to in Florida, due to the Bermuda grass. I have lost quite a few balls on the fairway or just off the fairways. Bermuda grass withstands heat, can be mowed low and is drought resistant, but if it’s too long, your ball will sink down in it and be hard to find.

The courses up north use a different type of grass which is thicker and the ball sits up better in it. In Florida, I’ve had to adjust my swing to be able to sweep the ball more rather than hit down on it. For me, the shorter the shot the harder that is to do.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
The grasses will not grow back. They did not receive just an annual trim. They actually removed them from the islands around the trees, as well as around “Lake Pelican.” They need to replant. It was beautiful when it opened in 2004, now a desert. As far as maintenance, the workers spend a lot of time, but when you have disrespectful golfers, who use stands to protect their precious club grips from laying down in the moisture, but then drive right up to the green, so that the grass around the green is in constant wear, the greenskeepers’ job is almost impossible. It’s 15 feet away from the greens people, even with the handicap tag!!
Closed Thread

Tags
executive, grass, managers, pelican, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.