Mira Mesa

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2020, 10:08 PM
Default Mira Mesa

Played course for 1st time today. Narrow fairways is a distinct characteristic to others I've played in The Villages. Smaller greens that all rolled slow as looked to be left high or not mowed recently. Some bare patches on a few. Newly re-planted tee boxes evident with virgin grass atop most. Nice course with marginal greens.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:39 AM
Veteran member

Never liked Mira Mesa. I feel like I am playing in someone's backyard (Which I am)
Old 11-17-2020, 08:47 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Great little target course. Some real tough holes, especially from the back tees. Always enjoy my play there.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:34 PM
Veteran member

One of the more interesting exec nines. Parklike setting, unlike the wide open waste areas many of the other execs are built on.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

They redid the greens about two years ago and they are just as bad now as they were before.

The layout is pretty bad. The first and third greens are ridiculous the way the back of the green slopes away. It makes the green about 1/3 smaller than they actually are. Not a big problem on 3 where you're hitting a short shot into it, but number one plays about 160 from the back. Number two is almost a dogleg left par three with a very difficult green. I don't like it when you have to curve a ball around a tree on a par three. Four and five are short shots to big flat greens. Those are the kind of greens that should be on the longer holes. Six is another hole where, depending on where the tees are located, trees can block a straight shot to the green. Again on one of he longest holes on the course, one of the most difficult greens. Seven in a nice little par four and eight is a lengthy par three with a well designed green. The comes nine. I was really hoping that when they redid the greens a few years ago that they would have redesigned this green. From the back tee, the hole plays at about 180 yards. The smallish green is perched on a little hill and the entire green slopes away from you. Unless you are a tour player hitting a seven iron from 180, it is almost impossible to stop the ball on this green. I've hit many very good shots on that hole only to find myself chipping from beyond the green.

It seems like the most difficult greens are on the longest holes and the easiest greens to hit and to putt are on the shortest holes. That is exactly backward from good golf course design. Because of that and the dogleg par threes it's not one of my favorites.

In addition, I've never seen it in good condition.

Please keep in mind that these is only my opinions. I understand that we are all allowed to have them.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:47 AM
Sage

Still a fun course!
Old 11-19-2020, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Still a fun course!
I don't find anything fun about hitting good shots and ending up in bad places or having a tree in front of you on a par three.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:07 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I don't find anything fun about hitting good shots and ending up in bad places or having a tree in front of you on a par three.
I like the course because you better hit good and straight or you are in trouble. I've always had a difficult time with that course. I play it every time I get a chance. I'm weird anyway!
Old 11-20-2020, 06:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Great target course. Great practice. If your ball rolls off the green, still great practice. Lucky we have other choices.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:26 AM
Veteran member

Pelican, Heron, Mira Mesa. The rest are all boring-looking, wide open, back-and-forth executive 9's built on left over drainage land or next to power grid right-of ways.
Closed Thread

Tags
played, greens, mowed, recently, bare

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.