Palmetto greens in sad shape

Closed Thread
Old 02-29-2020, 09:56 AM
Default Palmetto greens in sad shape

Played Palmetto yesterday and the greens are in terrible condition. Very similar to Sweetgum which is now closed and Mangrove which is on the verge. A trend is developing here which is not a good one. In comparison to other exec courses south of 466 these three fit into the bottom 10% in terms of course, and specifically green conditioning. The course supervisor needs to own up to why they are this bad.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:43 AM
Veteran member
Default Palmetto

I don't think it is a trend so much as it is an annual event. New head course superintendent, same results. An explanation about why this happens every year would be appreciated. Ditto with the championship courses having problems. Prices go up, population increases, quality and access decline. Disappointed to say the least.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:48 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
I don't think it is a trend so much as it is an annual event.

An explanation about why this happens every year

Prices go up, population increases, quality and access decline.
Hmmmmmmm
Steve

Last edited by anothersteve; 02-29-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:16 PM

This is getting a bit scary. Lots of negative news about The condition of the courses. I understand if it’s temporary, but after the Hacienda country club closing, is that what is in our future? One course, one club, after another? And the fact that Mallory golf course is closed is another negative.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Just left LobLolly
Old 03-03-2020, 07:11 AM

Hacienda Hills golf course is not closed????
Old 03-03-2020, 06:01 PM
Veteran member
Default ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwahlstrom View Post
This is getting a bit scary. Lots of negative news about The condition of the courses. I understand if it’s temporary, but after the Hacienda country club closing, is that what is in our future? One course, one club, after another? And the fact that Mallory golf course is closed is another negative.
Hacienda is NOT closed !! Where does this BS come from ??? 😱
Old 03-03-2020, 07:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,055 Times in 2,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwahlstrom View Post
The golf at Hacienda is very good, are you referring to the restaurant? Very different topic indeed.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post
Hacienda is NOT closed !! Where does this BS come from ??? 😱
Perhaps you should read the post again.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Listen to me.

This is March. Third month of many feet. MANY feet. Happens every year in March. Lots of people, four after four, using the courses, day after day, week after week.

Greens and fairways will improve after much walking and messing by not very experienced golfers who also don't repair divits and heavens knows what all. And by the feet of many golfers who do know the rules. March. Golf courses have feet on them during most hours of light.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:06 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Lots of golf...not always good golf....
Old 03-04-2020, 09:25 AM
Default Conditions of Greens

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Listen to me.

This is March. Third month of many feet. MANY feet. Happens every year in March. Lots of people, four after four, using the courses, day after day, week after week.

Greens and fairways will improve after much walking and messing by not very experienced golfers who also don't repair divits and heavens knows what all. And by the feet of many golfers who do know the rules. March. Golf courses have feet on them during most hours of light.
I've been a resident of TV for seven years, and this year I've found the greens on some of the courses to surely have been damaged by other means than overuse. It's difficult to understand why the greens on Yankee Clipper are in top notch condition, while others (Churchhill for example) have large bare spots, and areas that appear to show some type of mold destruction. Are all courses maintained by the same people/company, or is the maintenance farmed out to a variety of golf maintenance businesses? Perhaps the greens keeper at Yankee should be hired to take care of the courses that need some work done.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie1 View Post
I've been a resident of TV for seven years, and this year I've found the greens on some of the courses to surely have been damaged by other means than overuse. It's difficult to understand why the greens on Yankee Clipper are in top notch condition, while others (Churchhill for example) have large bare spots, and areas that appear to show some type of mold destruction. Are all courses maintained by the same people/company, or is the maintenance farmed out to a variety of golf maintenance businesses? Perhaps the greens keeper at Yankee should be hired to take care of the courses that need some work done.
The starter at Yankee said the gang that look after Yankee Clipper and Southern Star also look after Redfish Run, Tarpon Boil, and Bonita Pass.
All of those courses were very good condition, so there maybe some truth that some green keeping teams are a lot better than others.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:05 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie1 View Post
You ask a good question about maintenance. Sorry I don’t know the answer but those in “charge” should know and should have the larger picture of executive courses in TV. I agree much play is a factor in course condition but not the only factor as all the executive courses are played very heavily during “the season”. My group played Palmetto yesterday. True the greens were not in the best of shape. Only the executive course management could tell us what happen to the greens at Palmetto that didn’t happen at other courses (where the greens are in good shape) that we have recently played such as: Yankee Clipper, Okeechobee, Escambia, and Red Fox.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:00 AM
Veteran member

Played several Championship courses outside The Villages that also get a lot of play this time of year. Much better greens, better fairways, better tees than anything we have here. Much more interesting course layouts and at around half the price. Yes, you need to get in your car and drive somewhat, but the change is well worth it IMO.
Closed Thread

Tags
greens, palmetto, fit, 10%, bottom

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.