Pelican

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2020, 08:48 PM
Default Pelican

I played my first round here this afternoon and must say...it is one of the most challenging courses I've played here in The Villages. Greens maintained and balls rolled nicely across the contoured slopes.

Tee boxes and all approaches well manicured and watered adequately. What a great round and the weather and wind cooperated for the most part. Overall course condition is great.

Sidebar,...bring a few extra balls if your first visit, as numerous environmentally sensitive ecosystems adjacent the course & impede typical hook & slice recovery.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,604 Times in 942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogme480 View Post
I played my first round here this afternoon and must say...it is one of the most challenging courses I've played here in The Villages. Greens maintained and balls rolled nicely across the contoured slopes.

Tee boxes and all approaches well manicured and watered adequately. What a great round and the weather and wind cooperated for the most part. Overall course condition is great.

Sidebar,...bring a few extra balls if your first visit, as numerous environmentally sensitive ecosystems adjacent the course & impede typical hook & slice recovery.
I enjoy playing it. Agree on the extra balls. First time i played it, I figure an executive course, I will be fine with one sleeve - boy was I wrong.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,067 Times in 2,743 Posts

Best executive in the Villages, hands down!
Old 11-25-2020, 06:24 AM

Very good course but somewhat challenging.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:13 AM

I played it yesterday too. Looking forward to them getting hole 4 dried-up so they could move the tee markers back to their normal positions.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:54 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

My Sunday go to after church. You either hate it or love it, my favorite.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:41 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

I like it, but it doesn’t always like me. If you don’t get the ball in the air you may want to avoid it.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:29 AM

For intermediate players that play this course the first time, bring a dozen balls. Beginners, go play Turtle Mound, Sandhill or Sarasota.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanst View Post
For intermediate players that play this course the first time, bring a dozen balls. Beginners, go play Turtle Mound, Sandhill or Sarasota.
Pelican is not for the faint of heart.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Possibly the most poorly designed course I've ever seen.

When I played it a few years ago it was in horrible condition. Evidently that has changed.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
...You either hate it or love it, my favorite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Possibly the most poorly designed course I've ever seen...
Wow. Is Bay Kid ever on the nose. This might be my favorite exec course in TV also. Not for the feint of heart though.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Wow. Is Bay Kid ever on the nose. This might be my favorite exec course in TV also. Not for the feint of heart though.
I don't like holes, especially par three holes where you cannot see where you are going. On some holes they have grown vegetation up in front of the tees to block your view of the hole. That, to me, is silly.

When I played it, I came to a par four and had no idea where to hit the ball. A guy I was playing with tried to show me the line and I hit it reasonably close to where he recommended. I couldn't see my ball land but a few seconds later two gold cart appeared from where my ball had landed. Not only is it annoying to have to play a hole like that, it is dangerous.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I don't like holes, especially par three holes where you cannot see where you are going. On some holes they have grown vegetation up in front of the tees to block your view of the hole. That, to me, is silly.

When I played it, I came to a par four and had no idea where to hit the ball. A guy I was playing with tried to show me the line and I hit it reasonably close to where he recommended. I couldn't see my ball land but a few seconds later two gold cart appeared from where my ball had landed. Not only is it annoying to have to play a hole like that, it is dangerous.
I can see where I'm going on every hole on the course. It may take a bit of study in a couple spots for somebody who has never played the course, but even that need is minimal imo.
There's only one par 4. It's tees are greatly varied and each can give the hole a different look. But from the ones I use, it is clear and safe.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:39 PM

I've been playing mostly champ courses, may have to check this place out.

Any other recommendations for exec courses?

I've done Truman, Roosevelt, Belmont, Bogart and Amberwood
Old 12-07-2020, 08:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I can see where I'm going on every hole on the course. It may take a bit of study in a couple spots for somebody who has never played the course, but even that need is minimal imo.
There's only one par 4. It's tees are greatly varied and each can give the hole a different look. But from the ones I use, it is clear and safe.
I believe there are 2 par 4s, holes 4 and 6. A real challenge from the tips. Over 200 yd. par 3. A blind shot is great if you know where the green is located. No need to look up!
Closed Thread

Tags
balls, round, great, played, weather

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.