Pet Peeves

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2020, 07:14 AM

Maybe try to find a group that take golf as serious as you do and get regular games. I am in a group who knows that I am new at the game and I play for fun and so do they.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'm having a difficult time enjoying myself on the golf course due to the behavior of people I play with. I usually sign up as a single and get paired with different people. Most of them are very nice and I'm sure that I'd have no problem with them off the course. But too many of them have no idea about golf etiquette.
I played with two guys today who just wouldn't stop talking. They had no idea where anyone's ball was and generally didn't understand the need to keep quiet, not walk on other player's lines, not let there shadows go where they can break a player's concentration.
Now I understand that a lot of people, especially those that play executive courses are out for fun, sunshine and exercise. But there are some of us that are trying to hit good shots and shoot a score.
When I play golf, my concentration begins when I start to line up my shot. I stand behind the ball pick out an aiming point and envision the shot that I'm going to hit.
Today on the first hole, these two guys are talking and I was getting ready to hit. I got over my ball and they didn't stop so I back away and gave them a look. They finally shut up but just as I'm about to take the club away the two of them walked behind me and cast their shadows over my ball. I backed away again and they didn't get it.
They did this over and over for nine holes. On one hole, the fourth member of the group was standing over a four foot putt for par and one of them starts talking in the middle of his backswing.
On another hole, one of them dropped two clubs on my ball marker and walked up my line. That not bad enough but the guy must have weighed close to 300 pounds.
If you haven't played golf before, or you're a casual golfer, I understand that these things may not be important to you, but you need to learn to be considerate of other people. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, go to the good golf school and read a bit about golf etiquette. It will make for better relationships and make golf much more pleasant for everyone.
I feel bad that I went out to have an enjoyable day and come home and have to write something like this.
Thank you! From a new golfer.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsego58 View Post
Big time golfers is what most think they are. The villages is for everyone deal with it or move because you are the people that make this place Florida's worst home town.
I disagree. I do understand Mr. Boogies post. I also understand (kind of) the fact that ambassadors cannot really be marshals because of the policy here to all people who don't follow the rules or know golf etiquette. It ISN'T like golf anywhere else where people are directed to keep things moving and MOST people KNOW not to talk when someone is addressing the ball and not to shadow their putt or walk on the green between where any ball lies and the hole.

That conduct is part and parcel of the game. I have always loved golf for many reasons and enjoyed the etiquette.

I get so annoyed at the response...…..what's the hurry? I can see Arnold Palmers commercial where he yells out...………"while we're young".
Old 06-01-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancymiller217@yahoo.com View Post
Ok, question here. I know we are supposed to play “ready golf” so in my understanding if someone is raking the bunker or looking for their ball, or overshot and had to walk a distance for their ball, other players who were ready were supposed to shoot, even if the delayed player was further away. Is that not the rule when “serious players” join your group?
That's what is usually regarded as "ready golf". It just means that you needn't necessarily wait for the person that is actually farthest away; if waiting for them would delay play, whoever is ready first can generally go ahead and hit.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I am just starting to golf, so what is a 90 degree rule?
Oops. It looks like my friends back home lied to me. I was told that this meant that whenever the temperature reached 90° or more, I had to drink a beer per hole. Hydration is very important!
Old 06-02-2020, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
If it's your group and a single joins it would be great if you told the single that is how your group plays, they then would have the option to drop out. Having a good time is what it's all about and if the game isn't important to you then make sure those that join you know that. Of course I guess that means that when any of your group is putting or getting ready to hit that single player can break out in song and you are ok with that right?
No one should have to drop out of a group because people are rude.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:53 AM
John41

People who think it’s ok not to obey the rules of golf etiquette because they want to joke around with their friends probably are the ones who talk in movie theaters too or block the aisles at the supermarkets talking with their friends. Very self centered think the world revolves around them.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:11 AM
Default Very well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timinthevillages View Post
I play in a group of about 20 mon wed and fri. If you see us run run for the hills. We really don't keep score. We improve lives. Talk and make fun of each other constantly. Take group brides shots and fun is our main motivation. I hope you dont expect all of us to change our behavior for a single. In my opinion if you join a group it's your responsibility to adapt not the other way around.
We are at the other side of life and some people are worrying about shadows and fellow companions having fun. Life is too short to worry about mundane things.
Next time the OP should pick his companions to make sure they are "serious " golfers and not we old guys enjoying life.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Disagree with the term "everyone". I can only speak for myself, but I've played golf for 51 years. I played on my HS team and my college team. I've played amateur tours and pro-ams. At my (younger) best, I was a +2 handicap. I pretty much know all the rules of golf and all the etiquette. I've played in TV for 6 years now. So tell me why I should be REQUIRED to sit in a class with those that are new to the game and don't know the difference between a club and a ball???? I would be better off practicing putting. I'm sure there are many others who have similar golf experience and would be wasting their time in "good golf" class. (BTW, is this the same class that tells you it is OK to move your ball out of a bunker, improve your lie in the fairway or rough, or take 5 foot gimmes ? If so, they should change the name from "good golf" to good "whatever the heck game you are playing"
I'm a retired PGA professional and I would be willing to go for the greater good of the community. I used to teach things like the Good Golf School but I would be willing to spend a couple of hours if it meant that people who have never played the game and don't understand the rules of etiquette learn how to behave on a golf course.

As far as moving your ball in the rough, taking putts taking the ball out of a bunker, that doesn't affect me. If people want to do that because it helps them enjoy the game more, let them go ahead. It's the same as people who got all upset over all of the holes in one while we had PVC pipes sticking up out of the holes. Why would that upset anyone. If people want to lie to themselves or fool themselves into thinking that they holed a shot it only affects them.

In fact when people are learning the game improving their lie, tossing the ball from a bunker and all of the other things they do will help them move along more quickly. It's the same as the double par stroke limit. It's not as if they're playing tournament golf. They are not turning in scores for a handicap. They are simply out for fun, exercise, camaraderie and sunshine. I say let them do what they want as long as they don't intefere with other players.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie jr; 06-03-2020 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'm a retired PGA professional and I would be willing to go for the greater good of the community. I used to teach things like the Good Golf School but I would be willing to spend a couple of hours if it meant that people who have never played the game and don't understand the rules of etiquette learn how to behave on a golf course.

As far as moving your ball in the rough, taking putts taking the ball out of a bunker, that doesn't affect me. If people want to do that because it helps them enjoy the game more, let them go ahead. It's the same as people who got all upset over all of the holes in one while we had PVC pipes sticking up out of the holes. Why would that upset anyone. If people want to lie to themselves or fool themselves into thinking that they holed a shot it only affects them.

In fact when people are learning the game improving their lie, tossing the ball from a bunker and all of the other things they do will help them move along more quickly. It's the same as the double par stroke limit. It's not as if they're playing tournament golf. They are not turning in scores for a handicap. They are simply out for fun, exercise, camaraderie and sunshine. I say let them do what they want as long as they don't intefere with other players.
I agree 99% with you, the difference being that I am NOT willing to waste 2 hours on the class. Let those who need to go, go, but leave me out of it. Those people can take the class, it does not require my presence.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel 1952 View Post
We are at the other side of life and some people are worrying about shadows and fellow companions having fun. Life is too short to worry about mundane things.
Next time the OP should pick his companions to make sure they are "serious " golfers and not we old guys enjoying life.
Have you considered that you can "enjoy life" without ruining other peoples enjoyment???
Old 06-03-2020, 08:57 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I never played golf until we moved here. Bought a set of clubs at a yard sale that seemed comfortable for me. Attended the good golf school, took beginner's lessons. Got in as a single mostly at El Diablo or El Santiago with so many various people and pretty much always felt welcomed. The hardest part for me was playing with others of various golf experience and not knowing how they would react to my inexperience. I focused on just trying to keep pace which meant just pick up the ball and go sometimes. No problem. What I've found here in the villages is we have a lot of people playing with no respect for the course let alone other golfers or the game. During my playing time I'm the person I'll admit missing my ball mark and repair three others, raking out the bunker I've been in and others didn't bother. I've missed a divot or two maybe but I don't try to grind up chunks of real estate and leave it. Asking the starter if they ever press charges puts a puzzled look on their face. I'll also apologize in advance if I break wind when you swing your tee shot. Have a great day.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:34 PM

I think you need to join a league that is serious about the game. Unfortunately you don't know who tour going to get.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:16 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts
Default Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbone1 View Post
You need to just go play by yourself. You’re taking it way too seriously. I’m not surprised though! It seems that out on this ‘talk of the villages’ there are so many people that are just looking for reasons to be offended. I guess this gives them a venue to do that. Excessive whining every day! Yes I know, I have the option to just stop reading it!
OP is obviously a serious golfer and those he was playing with on this particular day were not at all serious golfers. That said, on TOTV we tend to criticize the OP’S that start a thread way more than we should for expressing their opinions or explaining their experience on the subject of their thread. I agree, my experience playing occasionaly as a single golfer with strangers, most are very cordial golfers but some know little about about golf etiquette. Shortly after becoming a resident in The Villages we attended “good golf school”. This was 12 years ago so I can’t speak about their current presentation. As I remember, there was very little about golf etiquette as described by the OP. In short, they (good golf school) could do better.

I started playing golf in my thirties but read a lot about golf and golf etiquette and hit the practice facilities before I ever went on a golf course. It’s pretty easy to educate yourself. When I play with my usual group of guys we play “ready up golf” and we certainly have fun but don’t talk while one of us are teeing off. Because of our age we might accidentally stumble into a players line or forget which way the sun is shining but we are still swinging and never plan to give up. Fore!

Last edited by justjim; 06-04-2020 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-04-2020, 06:20 PM
Platinum member
Default New golfers

A friend and I played an executive course on Tuesday.
We played with a couple that was new to The Villages and only played golf for a couple of months. They both insisted on playing from the back tees and hit several extra tee shots. By the time we were finished my nerves were raveled because we had people behind us waiting to hit on every hole.
Some people just don't have a clue.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, ball, people, hit, hole

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.