Pet Peeves

Closed Thread
Old 06-10-2020, 07:37 AM

I understand I’m new and when I get paired up with someone I tell them I new and tell me if I’m doing something wrong when it comes to etiquette. This way everyone has a good day. I will joke around if all are in for it but I do respect others play
Old 07-06-2020, 12:04 PM

For the 2nd time in two weeks my group of 4 four-somes were all on the same tee on Hacienda Hills Palms course. One last week it was 4 groups on the 14th tee and today it was 4 groups on the 16th tee. Both times we were unable to finish due to a downpour on the 17th and 18th holes. We would have easily finished our game without getting rained out had it not been for the log jam we experienced. I only want to know why the ambassadors don't do their job and move slower groups along. They make play miserable for people waiting every hole for them and in our case, cause us not to be able to finish. Now the ambassadors don't even carry water so what the heck are they doing except waving to us when they pass.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:41 AM

I'll tell you a good one. It seems you almost can go to the Lopez short game area without having a local pro provide unsolicited advice on your game. We're not short of experts here in the villages are we?
Old 07-25-2020, 11:38 AM

First of all I am definitely not a scratch golfer, and not at all the type that prances around like a PGA pro, but I did learn to play politely and respectfully. The ethics of golf, as well as the rules, were always emphasized. When I moved to the villages a long time ago now, I was completely unprepared for the behavior of the golf courses of The Villages ! I too was paired with folks who seemed friendly enough, but the first time I saw someone drive a golf cart right up to the green and PARK with the wheels on the apron, I was stunned. The first time someone walked up behind me chatting as I was in full swing on the tee I was frightened to death ! I thought it was just some kind of "newbie" experience, something I'd never encounter again, but now, years later, I've seen it all, and I mean ALL. You name it, it happens here on the golf course. Within the first few months an ambassador, who I mistook for a marshal not ever having heard of an "ambassador", who offered me cool water. We chatted since there was an open hole behind me, and I told him I was not trying to be a tattle tale but I was concerned about the folks ahead who habitually seemed to hit into every trap (and I sure do that too !) but they never entered at the lowest point, and worse yet, would stand of the high cut edge of the traps and completely destroy the turf cut.... even having grass and soil come down into the white sand. I'd never seen anything like this happen on a public course. He shrugged his shoulders and said, "well, welcome to the Villages" in a friendly way, not snide at all. He then explained "ambassador" versus "marshal" to me, and added that many ambassadors do try to GENTLY remind golfers but that they are asked to "follow a fine line" since they are not "golf police". Over the years now I understand perfectly, I think ! At no other golf courses in the world (I believe) would you find people who, with no instruction what so ever (or only from a spouse or friend...LOL) go to a golf course and simply play without having any idea of the many innuendos of golf etiquette. They laugh and chat away without any thought to who can hear, stand behind a person about to swing, played with one lady who put her ball on a tee ON THE FAIRWAY and said the "pro" at a country club here (she named the club and pro) had told her to do "what ever makes her feel comfortable" as a beginner ? So, I learned to relax, my score one stroke or another is not my concern, I only hope to get a par here and there, but destructive habits to the condition (have you EVER seen a resort, public course, or real country club where members pay a fee with so many ball marks left unfixed ?) of the course; stepping on the lips of traps and crushing them, driving ON greens and then OVER them, and for the most part, not one word is said to such folks. People who have never played golf in their lives (until they moved here) decide "hey, I'm paying for it I'm going to take advantage", and that's GREAT to see people pick up new things late in life (me too, took up all kinds of new interests in retirement so I fully understand), but I honestly believe people who take up shuffle board or bocce or pickle-ball spend more time LEARNING the of those games than the more complex etiquette of the game when they take up golf. Frankly, I don't think it is going to change ! ? And as you say, most of these folks would be great to go have a cup of coffee or a drink with later. On the course, it's really hard to learn to live with this.... but I sure have.

Last edited by Ladygolfer93; 07-25-2020 at 11:44 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-25-2020, 11:51 AM

I certainly second that, none of us like rules, rules, rules, but what would life be like here IF people MUST take instruction in GOLF etiquette AND how to properly use TRAFFIC circles, never "cure" them all (too many one and two week vacationers only here, not referring to snowbirds and second home folks, just the folks who have caught on to what a nice resort this is for the per night price) and would NEVER go play golf at Champion's Gate, or a Disney resort where they vacation, but take the "might as well" frame of mind here... that makes it really hard on the maintenance of the courses.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:55 AM

First of all I am definitely not a scratch golfer, and not at all the type that prances around like a PGA pro, but I did learn to play politely and respectfully. The ethics of golf, as well as the rules, were always emphasized. When I moved to the villages a long time ago now, I was completely unprepared for the behavior of the golf courses of The Villages ! I too was paired with folks who seemed friendly enough, but the first time I saw someone drive a golf cart right up to the green and PARK with the wheels on the apron, I was stunned. The first time someone walked up behind me chatting as I was in full swing on the tee I was frightened to death ! I thought it was just some kind of "newbie" experience, something I'd never encounter again, but now, years later, I've seen it all, and I mean ALL. You name it, it happens here on the golf course. Within the first few months an ambassador, who I mistook for a marshal not ever having heard of an "ambassador", who offered me cool water. We chatted since there was an open hole behind me, and I told him I was not trying to be a tattle tale but I was concerned about the folks ahead who habitually seemed to hit into every trap (and I sure do that too !) but they never entered at the lowest point, and worse yet, would stand of the high cut edge of the traps and completely destroy the turf cut.... even having grass and soil come down into the white sand. I'd never seen anything like this happen on a public course. He shrugged his shoulders and said, "well, welcome to the Villages" in a friendly way, not snide at all. He then explained "ambassador" versus "marshal" to me, and added that many ambassadors do try to GENTLY remind golfers but that they are asked to "follow a fine line" since they are not "golf police". Over the years now I understand perfectly, I think ! At no other golf courses in the world (I believe) would you find people who, with no instruction what so ever (or only from a spouse or friend...LOL) go to a golf course and simply play without having any idea of the many innuendos of golf etiquette. They laugh and chat away without any thought to who can hear, stand behind a person about to swing, played with one lady who put her ball on a tee ON THE FAIRWAY and said the "pro" at a country club here (she named the club and pro) had told her to do "what ever makes her feel comfortable" as a beginner ? So, I learned to relax, my score one stroke or another is not my concern, I only hope to get a par here and there, but destructive habits to the condition (have you EVER seen a resort, public course, or real country club where members pay a fee with so many ball marks left unfixed ?) of the course; stepping on the lips of traps and crushing them, driving ON greens and then OVER them, and for the most part, not one word is said to such folks. People who have never played golf in their lives (until they moved here) decide "hey, I'm paying for it I'm going to take advantage", and that's GREAT to see people pick up new things late in life (me too, took up all kinds of new interests in retirement so I fully understand), but I honestly believe people who take up shuffle board or bocce or pickle-ball spend more time LEARNING the not only the rules, but the etiquette of the game then they do when they take up golf. Frankly, I don't think it is going to change ! ? And as you say, most of these folks would be great to go have a cup of coffee or a drink with later. On the course, it's really hard to learn to live with this.... but I sure have.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'm having a difficult time enjoying myself on the golf course due to the behavior of people I play with. I usually sign up as a single and get paired with different people. Most of them are very nice and I'm sure that I'd have no problem with them off the course. But too many of them have no idea about golf etiquette.
I played with two guys today who just wouldn't stop talking. They had no idea where anyone's ball was and generally didn't understand the need to keep quiet, not walk on other player's lines, not let there shadows go where they can break a player's concentration.
Now I understand that a lot of people, especially those that play executive courses are out for fun, sunshine and exercise. But there are some of us that are trying to hit good shots and shoot a score.
When I play golf, my concentration begins when I start to line up my shot. I stand behind the ball pick out an aiming point and envision the shot that I'm going to hit.
Today on the first hole, these two guys are talking and I was getting ready to hit. I got over my ball and they didn't stop so I back away and gave them a look. They finally shut up but just as I'm about to take the club away the two of them walked behind me and cast their shadows over my ball. I backed away again and they didn't get it.
They did this over and over for nine holes. On one hole, the fourth member of the group was standing over a four foot putt for par and one of them starts talking in the middle of his backswing.
On another hole, one of them dropped two clubs on my ball marker and walked up my line. That not bad enough but the guy must have weighed close to 300 pounds.
If you haven't played golf before, or you're a casual golfer, I understand that these things may not be important to you, but you need to learn to be considerate of other people. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, go to the good golf school and read a bit about golf etiquette. It will make for better relationships and make golf much more pleasant for everyone.
I feel bad that I went out to have an enjoyable day and come home and have to write something like this.
I have found very few (I know this is hard to believe with the number of people who moved here JUST for golf, but very few people, even experienced golfers, seem to understand "walking on someones lie"; is this due to our very hard greens ? ? ?
Old 07-25-2020, 12:12 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBoy451 View Post
I'll tell you a good one. It seems you almost can go to the Lopez short game area without having a local pro provide unsolicited advice on your game. We're not short of experts here in the villages are we?
Happened to me yesterday. Uninvited solicited advice.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBoy451 View Post
It happened to me as I was hitting balls into a net. I play with four guys every week and we are all decent players. One of them was struggling and after hitting a bad shot on the last hole, one of the others went up to him and tried to give him a "pointer". The instructor walked away and my friend muttered to me, "Just what I need. Lessons on the golf course."

I taught golf for 35 years and would never offer unsolicited advice to anyone. And I'll tell that it's difficult not to say something. I have a trained eye and can spot faults. In fact I usually see many faults and have the ability to decide which is the most important to work on. But I would never point out anything specific without being asked.

I have a friend that I play a lot with and he knows my background. He's really been struggling. A few times I've told him that his downswing is very steep and if he'd like we can go to the range and I'd be happy to help him with it.

But here is another point. Seeing a fault is one thing. Being able to give advice on how to correct it is another and the player's willingness to go out and work on that specific point is the third and possibly most important step to improving. One of the great teachers in history once said to me that we cannot really teach people how to play golf. We can only show them how to learn.

And that is the biggest point. In order to improve a player has to work on specific movements in a swing. That has to be done at a range and will take many hours to get down. This idea that you're going to point out some little thing in a players motion (and most of the time it's irrelevant to what's causing the problem) and suddenly all his problems will be over is ludicrous.

I find it amusing to go to a range and see a husband trying to teach his wife to play. I played behind a foursome last week where one guy was standing in front of the other three teaching them how to play. Watching the "instructor" I got the impression that was about an 18 handicapper who was trying attempting to teach some 30 handicappers.

Everyone thinks that they're a teacher. Teaching golf involves a lot more than simply seeing something that you think might be wrong and telling the person. And just because a person is a good player doesn't mean that he/she is a good teacher. Not all of the great teachers in history were tour players and of those who were, were not hugely successful on tour. Most of the tour players coaches today were not tour caliber players. I've taught players that were much better than I. In most cases, players play and teachers teach. Bill Belichick never played in the NFL.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie jr; 07-26-2020 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:19 AM

Should I run into this person again I shall pop every ball into the surrounding bushes and yell, " thanks for the tips " quite proudly as I wave.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, ball, people, hit, hole

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.