Pet Peeves

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2020, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Pet Peeves

I'm having a difficult time enjoying myself on the golf course due to the behavior of people I play with. I usually sign up as a single and get paired with different people. Most of them are very nice and I'm sure that I'd have no problem with them off the course. But too many of them have no idea about golf etiquette.
I played with two guys today who just wouldn't stop talking. They had no idea where anyone's ball was and generally didn't understand the need to keep quiet, not walk on other player's lines, not let there shadows go where they can break a player's concentration.
Now I understand that a lot of people, especially those that play executive courses are out for fun, sunshine and exercise. But there are some of us that are trying to hit good shots and shoot a score.
When I play golf, my concentration begins when I start to line up my shot. I stand behind the ball pick out an aiming point and envision the shot that I'm going to hit.
Today on the first hole, these two guys are talking and I was getting ready to hit. I got over my ball and they didn't stop so I back away and gave them a look. They finally shut up but just as I'm about to take the club away the two of them walked behind me and cast their shadows over my ball. I backed away again and they didn't get it.
They did this over and over for nine holes. On one hole, the fourth member of the group was standing over a four foot putt for par and one of them starts talking in the middle of his backswing.
On another hole, one of them dropped two clubs on my ball marker and walked up my line. That not bad enough but the guy must have weighed close to 300 pounds.
If you haven't played golf before, or you're a casual golfer, I understand that these things may not be important to you, but you need to learn to be considerate of other people. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, go to the good golf school and read a bit about golf etiquette. It will make for better relationships and make golf much more pleasant for everyone.
I feel bad that I went out to have an enjoyable day and come home and have to write something like this.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Oh my I’m so sad for you . Please call the family I’m sure it’s there fault .
Old 05-30-2020, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
...I feel bad that I went out to have an enjoyable day and come home and have to write something like this.
Not that "Good Golf School" is the be-all to end-all, in fact a little more could be included about the etiquette problems you bring up. They do discuss raking traps, where to park your cart, and the intent of the beacons in front of the greens, and then mostly about how to make a reservation.

To improve that program and then to make it mandatory for a residents to have taken the three hour class before playing is something that TV should consider. I took the class about two months after moving here. I've been playing since 1962, so there wasn't much new for me, but I did learn some of local procedures, such as how to return the rake to the bunker. That's the place where we can start in educating the public.

Good Golf School - The Villages
Old 05-30-2020, 10:40 AM

I play in a group of about 20 mon wed and fri. If you see us run run for the hills. We really don't keep score. We improve lives. Talk and make fun of each other constantly. Take group brides shots and fun is our main motivation. I hope you dont expect all of us to change our behavior for a single. In my opinion if you join a group it's your responsibility to adapt not the other way around.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:59 AM

The good golf class should have been a mandatory requirement prior to being allowed to make a tee time. I can't count how much poor etiquette I witness every time I play. We were playing yesterday and talk about a slow group. These clowns were sometimes taking 3 tee offs each and it didn't help the person trying to tee off was constantly interrupted by the other giving a biblical speech so loud we could hear them a hole away. They then had to shout their scores across the green rather than waiting to group back at the tee boxes since two were walking. We held it together thou.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Print this out and hand out to people you play with, or ask to leave at starter shack.
10 Rules for Good Golf Etiquette

1. Don't be a distraction.

Don't move or make noise when someone close to you is setting up or swinging. The slightest movement or noise can distract the golfer.

2. Have your own clubs.

Players should take their own clubs on the course instead of borrowing from someone else. Purchase some cheap clubs if needed so you don't have to borrow any.

3. Don't make people wait for you to swing.

Keep an eye on the action and step up to the ball when it is your turn.

4. Keep the course looking nice.

Repair divots and ball marks, and rake sand bunkers when you play.

5. Don't walk on putting lines.

Putting lines are the imaginary lines that connect the hole and the ball. Avoid walking on them at all costs.

6. Only spend five minutes looking for lost balls.

If you can't find your ball, you have five minutes before declaring it lost. Then, hit your provisional ball.

7. Be a grownup.

You have probably seen people throw clubs, swear, or yell during a missed shot. That is bad etiquette and should be avoided.

8. Play in the right order.

The person who is furthest away from the pin should hit first. In addition, whoever wins the hole gets to tee off first at the next one.

9. Follow cart rules.

Each course has its own set of rules governing golf carts, and rules might change at a moment's notice. Pay attention to cart path only and 90-degree rules.

10. Get there early.

If you schedule a tee time, you need to get there early so you can get your equipment ready. Then, you need to tee off on time.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:59 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,609 Times in 1,760 Posts

Some of what you mention, OP, is plain common sense. Even an inexperienced golfer should get it.

I run into lack of gym etiquette as well. Usually it is people who have never worked out in a gym before.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-30-2020, 12:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,025 Times in 5,324 Posts

Do not think I will take up golf again, people do take it too seriously, think if you do not know the others in the group a one minute conversation is in order
Old 05-30-2020, 12:19 PM

What tickles me are the ones who don't spend any time preparing ahead of the tee time and only worry about when they can get out and their game ends up sucking!

Last edited by BamaBoy451; 05-30-2020 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

We usually get...what we pay for.

Since executive courses are free (if you walk), I wouldn't expect the level of clientele...to change much.

And since so many people who have never played show up on the exec's, maybe figure out a way to speak up (instead of posting here, where no one will see themselves as being part of the problem) and politely tell them what you expect...and what good golf etiquette entails?

Maybe even get a bunch of "good golf" pamphlets...and hand them out to your group?
Old 05-30-2020, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Print this out and hand out to people you play with, or ask to leave at starter shack.
10 Rules for Good Golf Etiquette

1. Don't be a distraction.

Don't move or make noise when someone close to you is setting up or swinging. The slightest movement or noise can distract the golfer.

2. Have your own clubs.

Players should take their own clubs on the course instead of borrowing from someone else. Purchase some cheap clubs if needed so you don't have to borrow any.

3. Don't make people wait for you to swing.

Keep an eye on the action and step up to the ball when it is your turn.

4. Keep the course looking nice.

Repair divots and ball marks, and rake sand bunkers when you play.

5. Don't walk on putting lines.

Putting lines are the imaginary lines that connect the hole and the ball. Avoid walking on them at all costs.

6. Only spend five minutes looking for lost balls.

If you can't find your ball, you have five minutes before declaring it lost. Then, hit your provisional ball.

7. Be a grownup.

You have probably seen people throw clubs, swear, or yell during a missed shot. That is bad etiquette and should be avoided.

8. Play in the right order.

The person who is furthest away from the pin should hit first. In addition, whoever wins the hole gets to tee off first at the next one.

9. Follow cart rules.

Each course has its own set of rules governing golf carts, and rules might change at a moment's notice. Pay attention to cart path only and 90-degree rules.

10. Get there early.

If you schedule a tee time, you need to get there early so you can get your equipment ready. Then, you need to tee off on time.
Excellent idea.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timinthevillages View Post
I play in a group of about 20 mon wed and fri. If you see us run run for the hills. We really don't keep score. We improve lives. Talk and make fun of each other constantly. Take group brides shots and fun is our main motivation. I hope you dont expect all of us to change our behavior for a single. In my opinion if you join a group it's your responsibility to adapt not the other way around.
If it's your group and a single joins it would be great if you told the single that is how your group plays, they then would have the option to drop out. Having a good time is what it's all about and if the game isn't important to you then make sure those that join you know that. Of course I guess that means that when any of your group is putting or getting ready to hit that single player can break out in song and you are ok with that right?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-30-2020, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,126 Times in 2,240 Posts

I am just starting to golf, so what is a 90 degree rule?
Old 05-30-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
If it's your group and a single joins it would be great if you told the single that is how your group plays, they then would have the option to drop out. Having a good time is what it's all about and if the game isn't important to you then make sure those that join you know that. Of course I guess that means that when any of your group is putting or getting ready to hit that single player can break out in song and you are ok with that right?
Yes to both. But you'd better have a good voice and pick a good song or you'll be fun of. That's just how it is.

Last edited by timinthevillages; 05-30-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I am just starting to golf, so what is a 90 degree rule?
After hitting, drive your cart in the rough to the point of your ball, turn 90 degrees onto the fairway. This save wear on the fairways.

What Is the 90-Degree Rule for Golf Carts?

Tags
golf, ball, people, hit, hole

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.