Pet Peeves

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I am just starting to golf, so what is a 90 degree rule?
Stay on the cart path until your 90 degrees to your ball then you can drive on the course. We may play fast and loose with etiquette and the rules but always respect the course. And while I'm at it keep up with group in front of you and play from the tees that you can reach a par3 in one shot. Not that any cares or should care for that matter but those are my pet peeves.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Thank you, I have been doing this right, just did not recognize the term, now if I could just figure out how to hit the ball..........
Old 05-30-2020, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Thank you, I have been doing this right, just did not recognize the term, now if I could just figure out how to hit the ball..........
or use the foot club
Old 05-30-2020, 05:34 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I feel bad that I went out to have an enjoyable day and come home and have to write something like this.

mostly since it won't do any good.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov View Post
or use the foot club
No no no! Use the correct club! In this case, it would be the one-armed wedge!
Old 05-30-2020, 07:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
When we start getting more rain, you'll hear the starters give instructions like today is rough only, or we are cart path only. I always hate cart path only, especially when it's the entire 18 holes because the cart path is on just one side of the fairway. More often, it's used only on certain holes and they'll give you a cheat sheet or mark them on the score card, such as #6 is cart path only.

Rough only gives you the option of either side for parking. Those two you don't go on the fairway, you park and walk to your ball while carrying a couple of clubs. 90 degree rule you can go to your ball, but try and stay on the cart path as long as possible. Many times the normal fairway entry points from the cart path will little stakes to keep you from driving off the path too soon.

Rough only, park and walk to your ball

The Villages Florida

During the very dry seasons, some courses will make this a seasonal rule.

The Villages Florida
Old 05-30-2020, 07:28 PM

I go out as a single all the time, and have never run into something like this....It must have been ur unlucky day...You are a very good writer, if I may add..
Old 05-31-2020, 04:55 AM
Veteran member

Perhaps your groups should learn proper golf etiquette. Have fun yes, behave like you are on a golf course.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:04 AM

It's not about golf....it's all about lunch. TV golf courses are not for real golfers.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:05 AM

Hi Tiger. Could we please get your autograph??
Old 05-31-2020, 05:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,840 Times in 777 Posts

Quote:
I'm having a difficult time enjoying myself on the golf course due to the behavior of people I play with. I usually sign up as a single and get paired with different people. Most of them are very nice and I'm sure that I'd have no problem with them off the course. But too many of them have no idea about golf etiquette.
I played with two guys today who just wouldn't stop talking. They had no idea where anyone's ball was and generally didn't understand the need to keep quiet, not walk on other player's lines, not let there shadows go where they can break a player's concentration.
Now I understand that a lot of people, especially those that play executive courses are out for fun, sunshine and exercise. But there are some of us that are trying to hit good shots and shoot a score.
When I play golf, my concentration begins when I start to line up my shot. I stand behind the ball pick out an aiming point and envision the shot that I'm going to hit.
Today on the first hole, these two guys are talking and I was getting ready to hit. I got over my ball and they didn't stop so I back away and gave them a look. They finally shut up but just as I'm about to take the club away the two of them walked behind me and cast their shadows over my ball. I backed away again and they didn't get it.
They did this over and over for nine holes. On one hole, the fourth member of the group was standing over a four foot putt for par and one of them starts talking in the middle of his backswing.
On another hole, one of them dropped two clubs on my ball marker and walked up my line. That not bad enough but the guy must have weighed close to 300 pounds.
If you haven't played golf before, or you're a casual golfer, I understand that these things may not be important to you, but you need to learn to be considerate of other people. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, go to the good golf school and read a bit about golf etiquette. It will make for better relationships and make golf much more pleasant for everyone.
I feel bad that I went out to have an enjoyable day and come home and have to write something like this.
All good points. Sometimes you just have to explain it carefully to people. These are all things I learned before I even played my first game, just from reading about the game, but some people don’t read the directions and need things explained. If they just want to chat, they should lay on the lanai and hoist a few.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:38 AM

Quote:
I am just starting to golf, so what is a 90 degree rule?
This is usually a requirement for the golf cart to stay on the cart path, and only be driven onto the course 90 degrees from the path to your ball. This restriction is most often put in place if the course is wet, and subject to ruts made by cart tires. In those instances where the course is extremely wet, you might be limited to cart path only, and will need to walk to your ball from the path.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:51 AM
Default Don't drive on the rough!

The ninety degree rule is to stay on the cart path, not the rough, until you are abreast your ball and then go directly to your ball and return to the path after taking the shot. In practice, most players assume the 90 degree rule is equivalent to "scatter", which means you are allowed to drive on the grass.

You should be aware that carts are not allowed anywhere on the grass on any par three hole unless you are disabled and must drive to the ball.

On holes where you are allowed on the grass, there is usually a short green and white stake on the edge of the fairway near the cart path. That is where you are required to get off the grass.

Finally, I was a play manager at a country club for about seven years before coming to The Villages. The superintendent told me players should not ride in the rough. The fairway is tended with great care and is far healthier and stronger than the rough. If you have played on a lot of fine courses, you would discover many of them have designated entry points to the grass and require players to stay on the fairway, not the rough.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:06 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default good golf school

Quote:
I'm having a difficult time enjoying myself on the golf course due to the behavior of people I play with. I usually sign up as a single and get paired with different people. Most of them are very nice and I'm sure that I'd have no problem with them off the course. But too many of them have no idea about golf etiquette.
I played with two guys today who just wouldn't stop talking. They had no idea where anyone's ball was and generally didn't understand the need to keep quiet, not walk on other player's lines, not let there shadows go where they can break a player's concentration.
Now I understand that a lot of people, especially those that play executive courses are out for fun, sunshine and exercise. But there are some of us that are trying to hit good shots and shoot a score.
When I play golf, my concentration begins when I start to line up my shot. I stand behind the ball pick out an aiming point and envision the shot that I'm going to hit.
Today on the first hole, these two guys are talking and I was getting ready to hit. I got over my ball and they didn't stop so I back away and gave them a look. They finally shut up but just as I'm about to take the club away the two of them walked behind me and cast their shadows over my ball. I backed away again and they didn't get it.
They did this over and over for nine holes. On one hole, the fourth member of the group was standing over a four foot putt for par and one of them starts talking in the middle of his backswing.
On another hole, one of them dropped two clubs on my ball marker and walked up my line. That not bad enough but the guy must have weighed close to 300 pounds.
If you haven't played golf before, or you're a casual golfer, I understand that these things may not be important to you, but you need to learn to be considerate of other people. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, go to the good golf school and read a bit about golf etiquette. It will make for better relationships and make golf much more pleasant for everyone.
everyone should be required to attend good golf school before being allowed to play golf here.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timinthevillages View Post
I play in a group of about 20 mon wed and fri. If you see us run run for the hills. We really don't keep score. We improve lives. Talk and make fun of each other constantly. Take group brides shots and fun is our main motivation. I hope you dont expect all of us to change our behavior for a single. In my opinion if you join a group it's your responsibility to adapt not the other way around.
nobody says you have to play like you’re on tour, but you could at least observe some etiquette for the single when that person is playing their shots. After that enjoy
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, ball, people, hit, hole

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.