Pet Peeves

Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2020, 06:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedalton View Post
everyone should be required to attend good golf school before being allowed to play golf here.
Disagree with the term "everyone". I can only speak for myself, but I've played golf for 51 years. I played on my HS team and my college team. I've played amateur tours and pro-ams. At my (younger) best, I was a +2 handicap. I pretty much know all the rules of golf and all the etiquette. I've played in TV for 6 years now. So tell me why I should be REQUIRED to sit in a class with those that are new to the game and don't know the difference between a club and a ball???? I would be better off practicing putting. I'm sure there are many others who have similar golf experience and would be wasting their time in "good golf" class. (BTW, is this the same class that tells you it is OK to move your ball out of a bunker, improve your lie in the fairway or rough, or take 5 foot gimmes ? If so, they should change the name from "good golf" to good "whatever the heck game you are playing"
Old 05-31-2020, 06:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Not that "Good Golf School" is the be-all to end-all, in fact a little more could be included about the etiquette problems you bring up. They do discuss raking traps, where to park your cart, and the intent of the beacons in front of the greens, and then mostly about how to make a reservation.

To improve that program and then to make it mandatory for a residents to have taken the three hour class before playing is something that TV should consider. I took the class about two months after moving here. I've been playing since 1962, so there wasn't much new for me, but I did learn some of local procedures, such as how to return the rake to the bunker. That's the place where we can start in educating the public.

Good Golf School - The Villages
I would be willing to take the class and I can safely say that I don't need to.

I haven't taken it but I've heard, as you say that it is mostly about how to make tee times.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by timinthevillages View Post
I play in a group of about 20 mon wed and fri. If you see us run run for the hills. We really don't keep score. We improve lives. Talk and make fun of each other constantly. Take group brides shots and fun is our main motivation. I hope you dont expect all of us to change our behavior for a single. In my opinion if you join a group it's your responsibility to adapt not the other way around.
While that's certainly fine when you're with like minded people, there is a code of etiquette that has been around golf for centuries and is accepted by almost all golfers. In fact there are even a few pages in the rule book about it.

It's not about one person adapting to a group or the group adapting to one person. It's about people having respect for one another. It's about adapting to long standing customs that have been around the game of golf for centuries.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
Oh my I’m so sad for you . Please call the family I’m sure it’s there fault .
Ahh.... a note of sarcasm from someone that I'm sure has a long standing history playing golf.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I am just starting to golf, so what is a 90 degree rule?
When your ball is in play, you take your cart to a point where the ball is and drive 90 degrees to the direction of the hole to your ball. In other words, you are taking to shortest distance from the cart path to your ball in order to minimize the damage that a cart does to the golf course.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
If it's your group and a single joins it would be great if you told the single that is how your group plays, they then would have the option to drop out. Having a good time is what it's all about and if the game isn't important to you then make sure those that join you know that. Of course I guess that means that when any of your group is putting or getting ready to hit that single player can break out in song and you are ok with that right?
No one should have to drop out of a group because other people can't follow the rules.

If people want to talk and move while other's in their group are playing, that's all well and fine. They can also be respectful while a stranger is playing. It only takes 20 seconds or so to hit a ball. I don't think that it's too much to ask for people to be respectful for fifteen minutes 30 or so times in an hour and a half.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:07 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

good post on the 'golf school',,, i was ignorant of it til now but believe many won't bother - we shall attend,,, thanks !

exec courses - probably lots of hackers compared to champ courses so expect less boorish behavior on champs - execs are free so nothing invested

has never bothered me to advise gorillas of ill-mannered actions IF its true, annoying, or flagrant violation of golf rules,,, how many people now wear soft cleats because so many couldn't be bothered to pick up their feet when they walked on the greens ?
Old 05-31-2020, 07:17 AM
Smile I totally agree with original message.

I am trying to improve my game. Without golf etiquette, it is difficult to focus. With golf etiquette, you won’t be waiting to tee off as long and your game will improve which will make the round go faster and more people can play. I mostly would like to have people keep quiet when necessary. I can live with all the rest.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:19 AM
Sage

For people that are having trouble understanding this, for a golfer this is the same as having people talking and being loud in a movie theater while you're trying to watch a movie. If you complain about it, they respond, "This is the way that our group watches a movie. We talk about all throughout the movie and if that bothers you, leave".

Old 05-31-2020, 07:25 AM

Change to the Championship courses.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:34 AM
Veteran member

Totally agree. Good Golf school should be required.

Not shooting into those playing ahead of you is also a concern to me. Dangerous. See it quite a bit, especially in the winter months when those new to the game are on the courses more often
Old 05-31-2020, 07:34 AM
Default Why are you bothering to play golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by timinthevillages View Post
I play in a group of about 20 mon wed and fri. If you see us run run for the hills. We really don't keep score. We improve lives. Talk and make fun of each other constantly. Take group brides shots and fun is our main motivation. I hope you dont expect all of us to change our behavior for a single. In my opinion if you join a group it's your responsibility to adapt not the other way around.
Sounds like you have no interest in the game of golf. If just your group there's no issue as long as you do not hold up play for others, rake bunkers, repair ball marks and fix divots. If you're not going to respect the game or the course why play golf? Even a single outsider joining your group deserves the courtesy of your at least respecting his game and his right to enjoy the game in the manner prescribed by golf etiquette and the rules of golf.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:44 AM
Default You might still learn something

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Disagree with the term "everyone". I can only speak for myself, but I've played golf for 51 years. I played on my HS team and my college team. I've played amateur tours and pro-ams. At my (younger) best, I was a +2 handicap. I pretty much know all the rules of golf and all the etiquette. I've played in TV for 6 years now. So tell me why I should be REQUIRED to sit in a class with those that are new to the game and don't know the difference between a club and a ball???? I would be better off practicing putting. I'm sure there are many others who have similar golf experience and would be wasting their time in "good golf" class. (BTW, is this the same class that tells you it is OK to move your ball out of a bunker, improve your lie in the fairway or rough, or take 5 foot gimmes ? If so, they should change the name from "good golf" to good "whatever the heck game you are playing"
Because you might learn about local rules and customs? When you have a group of new golfers as the group ahead of you, you will appreciate the teaching of it being OK to improve you lie, and take gimmes. It speeds the play along so that experienced golfers like yourself won't have to wait as long for the group ahead.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:52 AM

Wait a minute...aren’t you the same guy who found the female announcers excitement extremely annoying (during Space X/NASA launch)
Old 05-31-2020, 08:21 AM

Ok, question here. I know we are supposed to play “ready golf” so in my understanding if someone is raking the bunker or looking for their ball, or overshot and had to walk a distance for their ball, other players who were ready were supposed to shoot, even if the delayed player was further away. Is that not the rule when “serious players” join your group?
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, ball, people, hit, hole

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.