Sarasota

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2021, 08:21 AM
Default Sarasota

I’ve played a couple rounds at Sarasota in the last few days with my visiting grandson. I want to comment on the overall conditions noted. Greens are in excellent shape from the recent rains & aeration work. They provide that plush “carpet” texture, especially noted during divot repairs. Fairways in great shape as well. Tee boxes show some typical wear & tear but nothing to complain about. He always requests playing Sarasota, so it’s been a pleasure to oblige the request this trip.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:57 AM
Veteran member

Nice to know this. Played Bogart Saturday and wish I could say the same about the conditions there. Meanwhile, can someone tell me why Sandhill and Turtle Mound are both closed. Compared to Bogart, I'd say they were both in pretty good shape.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Nice to know this. Played Bogart Saturday and wish I could say the same about the conditions there. Meanwhile, can someone tell me why Sandhill and Turtle Mound are both closed. Compared to Bogart, I'd say they were both in pretty good shape.
They are completely rebuilding all of the greens.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
nice to know this. Played bogart saturday and wish i could say the same about the conditions there. Meanwhile, can someone tell me why sandhill and turtle mound are both closed. Compared to bogart, i'd say they were both in pretty good shape.
rain
Old 06-21-2021, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Bob View Post
They are completely rebuilding all of the greens.
When The Villages says that they are "rebuilding" greens, what they actually mean is that they are stripping the sod off and re-sodding them. If they were constructed properly in the first place this wouldn't be necessary every few years.

I was so happy to hear that they are "completely" redoing Silver Lake until I heard that they are making no changes except re-sodding the entire golf course.

What a wast of money. That course was terribly built and is a bad layout. Numerous trees need to be removed and many holes need to be re-designed. If they don't do that, they're going to be redoing it in another few years.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:58 AM
Veteran member

For once a positive review. A breath of fresh air given the usual negativity

Old 06-22-2021, 07:10 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
When The Villages says that they are "rebuilding" greens, what they actually mean is that they are stripping the sod off and re-sodding them. If they were constructed properly in the first place this wouldn't be necessary every few years.

I was so happy to hear that they are "completely" redoing Silver Lake until I heard that they are making no changes except re-sodding the entire golf course.

What a wast of money. That course was terribly built and is a bad layout. Numerous trees need to be removed and many holes need to be re-designed. If they don't do that, they're going to be redoing it in another few years.
Well here's a hole by hole at Silver Lake for everyone's look-see

https://www.districtgov.org/departme...HoleSheets.pdf

Last edited by stanley; 06-22-2021 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:50 AM

Flooded from the excessive rain.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:06 AM

Perhaps the doubters should go to these courses and see what they are doing. They are totally replacing the greens at Sandhill and Sweetgum!!!
Old 07-07-2021, 02:16 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Par 3's don't have "fairways". Aprons yes.

Just a picky clarification.
Old 07-11-2021, 04:56 PM
Default Break a few eggs…..

Quote:
And so goes maintenance. It always takes a while to get there then we complain because they are doing it. Relax it will get done.
Think of us in the Historic area of Silver Lake. They completely dug out the entire course, no grass snd dug the greens down like a foot or two deep pool.
Then our other Executive course, Hilltop, the closed it to allow healing and recovery.
They will reopen, not soon enough, but the wait will be worth it.
Closed Thread

Tags
sarasota, shape, noted, request, wear

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.