Silver Lake

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2020, 09:00 AM
Default Silver Lake

Played this course as second round of a double-header yesterday afternoon in The Villages historic part. Only second time I ever played this one and enjoyed the afternoon outing with my wife.

I observed a lot of play in progress during our round. Several tight fairways exist with numerous large trees to sharpen your trajectory off the tee boxes. Green sizes were larger than what I observed at Hill Top, reasonably flat, & in better shape. Balls rolled a little fast on the greens. Tee boxes showing their frequent use & several fairways lacked turf, as were under repair & cordoned off with rope. Overall course in average condition.

The course is a must to play a round on the first executive course actually built for such in The Villages in the late 80's. It'll be a truly memorable round.

Note: I learned that a course renovation is forthcoming in the near future and the required work will close it down for an uncertain period of time while repairs are made. Act quickly if interested in taking this one in before project begins.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogme480 View Post
Played this course as second round of a double-header yesterday afternoon in The Villages historic part. Only second time I ever played this one and enjoyed the afternoon outing with my wife.

I observed a lot of play in progress during our round. Several tight fairways exist with numerous large trees to sharpen your trajectory off the tee boxes. Green sizes were larger than what I observed at Hill Top, reasonably flat, & in better shape. Balls rolled a little fast on the greens. Tee boxes showing their frequent use & several fairways lacked turf, as were under repair & cordoned off with rope. Overall course in average condition.

The course is a must to play a round on the first executive course actually built for such in The Villages in the late 80's. It'll be a truly memorable round.

Note: I learned that a course renovation is forthcoming in the near future and the required work will close it down for an uncertain period of time while repairs are made. Act quickly if interested in taking this one in before project begins.
I'm hoping that this will be a total renovation. Silver Lake might have been nice when it was built but the layout of several holes is awful. What they need to do it completely bulldozed this course and design a new one from scratch.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,047 Times in 2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogme480 View Post

Thanks for the review. Before we bought in the Villages, we rented a house about right in between Hill Top and Silver Lake. We like both courses and both are still on our rotation of courses we play. I was very happy to learn the course would be renovated rather than turned into some kind of glorified mini golf course, which was under consideration. I suspect the renovations won’t be started until the spring, given both the need for executive golf opportunities in that area during the busy season and since renovations would be difficult when not in the growing season. Golf on!
Old 12-08-2020, 07:02 AM

You gotta be joking. That course is the worst course in the Villages it sucks
Old 12-08-2020, 07:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONKEY10 View Post
That's why I'm hoping for a total redesign and rebuild.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,369 Times in 2,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONKEY10 View Post
Had some bad rounds and scores there then?
Old 12-08-2020, 07:36 AM

One of our favorites, tree limbs, dog legs, elevation change make it a fun challenge. Renovation starts in June for 4 months with new tee boxes, fairways, greens and irrigation should be even better.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:53 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

There are a few holes that you hope the other guy doesn't pull a shot. A little work and it could be more enjoyable and safer.

This is TVs and we are all about golf, so golf course reviews are cool.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattan View Post
One of our favorites, tree limbs, dog legs, elevation change make it a fun challenge. Renovation starts in June for 4 months with new tee boxes, fairways, greens and irrigation should be even better.
Where did you get this information? Does this mean that they're not going to change the layout?

They are never going to be able to maintain that second fairway. The same goes for the ninth green at Hilltop.

I hope this is not another "throw a bit of lipstick on it" renovation that The Villages usually does. I don't know what they spent on Mira Mesa a few years ago, but a few greens needed total redesign, which they didn't do and the greens are all in horrendous condition again.

If all they do at Silver Lake is to re-sod it, it will be a dump within a year.

Old 01-07-2021, 09:03 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Just for everyone's general info

https://www.districtgov.org/departme...Renovation.pdf
Closed Thread

Tags
round, fairways, boxes, observed, play

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.