Sweetgum Executive Course

Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2015, 10:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
they aren't FREE!...
Yes. They are. To me anyway.

I knew exactly what I was getting when I moved here. And I know I pay an amenities fee and all that. But once I decided to move here and accept the various costs involved...and since I get a lot of value from my amenities fee even if I don't play executive golf...and since I don't pay one cent more or less whether I play executive golf or not...to me the executive golf courses are FREE to play!!

Last edited by Polar Bear; 09-28-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:05 PM
Sage

///
Old 09-28-2015, 10:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post

I knew exactly what I was getting when I moved here. And I know I pay an amenities fee and all that. But once I decided to move here and accept the various costs involved...and since I get a lot of value from my amenities fee even if I don't play executive golf...and since I don't pay one cent more or less whether I play executive golf or not...to me the executive golf courses are FREE to play!!
I don't know if I buy that argument. Is your irrigation and potable water "free" because you knew about it? I think there is a difference between "free" and consenting to the cost
Old 09-28-2015, 10:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I don't know if I buy that argument. Is your irrigation and potable water "free" because you knew about it? I think there is a difference between "free" and consenting to the cost
I don't think all the people who think of executive golf as "free" are ignorant of the costs involved. I just don't think they're averse to calling it free since they don't have to pay anything "extra" to play. And since people who will never play a round of golf in TV pay the exact same fees, I think a lot of people are comfortable calling it free. Maybe it's semantics, but I just don't think it's a big deal, or a denial of any facts, to call it free.

And as far as your water example...I pay for what I use. How's that even similar?

Last edited by Polar Bear; 10-11-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
I don't think all the people who think of executive golf as "free" are ignorant of the costs involved. I just don't think they're averse to calling it free since they don't have to pay anything "extra" to play. And since people who will never play a round of golf in TV pay the exact same fees, I think a lot of people are comfortable calling it free. Maybe it's semantics, but I just don't think it's a big deal, or a denial of any facts, to call it free.

And as far as your water example...I pay for what I use. How's that even similar?
Fair enough, I think most people(at least those who worked for a living) understand that nothing is free
Water, bad example, sorry. But then again, you pay a base service for water and electricity, even if you use zero
Old 09-28-2015, 11:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Fair enough, I think most people(at least those who worked for a living) understand that nothing is free

Water, bad example, sorry. But then again, you pay a base service for water and electricity, even if you use zero
I know what you're saying, believe me. It's just easier (I think) to talk about it being free...as opposed to playing golf anywhere else. I would hope most everybody knows the actual details.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:21 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I hit on this thread because I am playing Sweetgum tomorrow 9/30. It appears the course is improving. But given the amount of rain this year and the amount of play its not surprising that the conditions of the courses are not worse.

The number of golfers here only increases even in so called off season so it is no surprise that the Golf Administration keeps courses open longer than perhaps they should . Now with full season in play the need for all courses to be opened is indeed going to strain them.

The only comment I have concerning "free golf" is nothing is free because in the logical sense of it who in their right mind would bear all of the cost to maintain 30+ executive courses for the benefit of thousands of golfers. No one way or another revealed or hidden golfer or golfer not residents pay for these courses.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:20 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Free? Cheap, good golf!
Old 10-08-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:

I just watched the news, and the meteorologist informed me of the upcoming weather---he must be complaining
But then again I watched for free---oops, forgot the cable bill

And then there could be a secondary gain---If people reading TOTV stay away from a course with poor conditions, it may get less play and a chance to recover
OKAY guys - as has been pointed out I worked with TOTV staff to create this forum - "The Villages Golf Course Conditions" - as a way to aid we golfers who wish to know the current playing condition of various courses as described by your fellow golfers. Going forward, please limit your post in this forum to golf course conditions and help me keep this entire forum from jumping off the tracks like so often seems to happen on other TOTV forums.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:32 PM
Gold member
Default That's all well and good....

Quote:

pretty much the same as thinking that when the gov't funds something it doesn't cost you anything because you pay taxes...a fairly naive point of view, but if it keeps your head in the sand and that's where you like it then it's all good...

personally it bothers me not knowing the execs cost me a very small amount...but telling anyone else it's free is a lie...plain and simple...
Old 10-10-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:

I just watched the news, and the meteorologist informed me of the upcoming weather---he must be complaining
But then again I watched for free---oops, forgot the cable bill

And then there could be a secondary gain---If people reading TOTV stay away from a course with poor conditions, it may get less play and a chance to recover
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
pretty much the same as thinking that when the gov't funds something it doesn't cost you anything because you pay taxes...a fairly naive point of view, but if it keeps your head in the sand and that's where you like it then it's all good...

personally it bothers me not knowing the execs cost me a very small amount...but telling anyone else it's free is a lie...plain and simple...
I will say it one more time!! These sorts of post are not appropriate for this Forum. This Forum, as previously stated, was created for posting Golf Course Conditions. Continuation of what is/isn't free, references to gov't taxes, etc. will result in your post being moved and/or deleted.

Tags
sweetgum, horrible, conditins, maintenance, extended, note, re-opened, volusia, positive, greens, today, played, ambassador, closing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.