Sweetgum Executive Course Closing

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2020, 08:56 AM
Default Sweetgum Executive Course Closing

I heard yesterday from the staff that Sweetgum Exec course will be closing tomorrow due to green conditions. They also inquired about the conditions yesterday on their sister course Mangrove showing it might be next. Having played there a couple of times in the past two weeks I can attest to the fact they are once again bordering on unplayable. Unfortunately this story is beginning to look a lot like the movie Groundhog Day. This is the third or forth time the course has closed due to poor green conditions. My recommendation is for them to rip out greens and replace turf with the new grass found at Tierra Del Sole and a couple of others I believe. Sad to see because it’s a great layout. Also because it will put more demand on Mangrove and Palmetto which are seeing heavy traffic anyway.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Shutting it down isn't the problem they have done that repeatedly past few years ...End result.....Opens back up just as bad
Old 02-22-2020, 09:03 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

So true it seems to be every year. Love these courses, but Sweetgum has always had sad greens from the 1st week they opened.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:39 AM

Would really like to know what the plan is for this course to try and reverse the turf problems on the greens. There is no mention of how long the most recent shut down will be for.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGolf View Post
Would really like to know what the plan is for this course to try and reverse the turf problems on the greens. There is no mention of how long the most recent shut down will be for.
No turf sand and seed hope it grows approach
Old 02-29-2020, 01:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
I heard yesterday from the staff that Sweetgum Exec course will be closing tomorrow due to green conditions. They also inquired about the conditions yesterday on their sister course Mangrove showing it might be next. Having played there a couple of times in the past two weeks I can attest to the fact they are once again bordering on unplayable. Unfortunately this story is beginning to look a lot like the movie Groundhog Day. This is the third or forth time the course has closed due to poor green conditions. My recommendation is for them to rip out greens and replace turf with the new grass found at Tierra Del Sole and a couple of others I believe. Sad to see because it’s a great layout. Also because it will put more demand on Mangrove and Palmetto which are seeing heavy traffic anyway.
This is normal routine for TV. They'll be 10 or 15 or more course closed for maintenance. You should know golf course all over the U.S. close down for one reason or another! They won't tear it up it'll be like new for the full time residents.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:58 AM
Veteran member

I disagree. I live in Pinellas near the course. It opened about the time we moved here. It opened before it was ready (as did Mangrove) and never has had a chance to recover. It has been closed for long periods at least three times before now and looks good for about a month when it reopens and then reverts to its current state.

What is needed is to shut it down for a season, tear out the greens and start over.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:02 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Golf course

Should close Bacall too.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:01 AM

That is the proper way to address a reoccurring problem. Unfortunately that is not going to happen. I have a feeling by this time next year we will be witnessing the course being closed for the third time since this post. One more go round in July for a couple of months and the again in Feb or March. Sad because it’s a great layout. Maybe during one of the closings they could stretch the third hole out by an additional 50-60 yards as well.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:39 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Golf course

if you have concerns or questions about the exec courses, send a email to Mitch.Leininger@DistrictGov.org, he is responsible for the maintenance
Old 03-03-2020, 08:33 AM

That has been done
Old 03-03-2020, 12:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
go play palmento, greens are dirt no grass at all
Old 03-05-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
if you have concerns or questions about the exec courses, send a email to Mitch.Leininger@DistrictGov.org, he is responsible for the maintenance
The gentleman responded that he has held the position since last May and that they are now analyzing soil samples and green drainage to determine what necessary steps might need be taken. My question is why has it taken almost 10 months to decide to do this. Given the fact that this is a reoccurring problem and the probable reason Mr Leininger was hired, one would think that soil testing and drainage would have taken place when he came on board. No, the problem isn’t foot traffic caused by the high season golfers (sorry Gracie). All exec courses south of 466 receive approximately the same amount of play. Just ask those trying to book tee times and being shut out. Some exec greens are in very good shape. Unfortunately the trio of courses, Palmetto, Mangrove and Sweetgum can’t be counted among them
Old 03-05-2020, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

But hey, at least...they're free to play.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:07 AM
Veteran member

Did anyone move here for the golf?? I moved for the line dancing...
Closed Thread

Tags
conditions, sweetgum, mangrove, couple, green

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.