Books

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Platinum member
Default Books

Has anyone read Casserole Parade and Casserole Surprise by Lorraine M Harris who lives in The Villages? These are great books. I'm reading Casserole Surprise (which is the 2nd of the 2) now. The story takes place in The Villages or nearby.
Tampa, FL
Old 02-25-2008, 02:51 AM
Gold member
Default Re: Books

Avista, I love reading books that are indigenous to an area that I am interested in...ie TV in this case. So I looked up the the author and the books locally. So sad, no luck here in Minnesota. We will be in TV the beginning of April. Could you please tell me where to get these books? Also in my research I think I discovered another book by this author that you did not mention...Sunday Golf.
Susan
Old 02-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Platinum member

Sunday Golf is another good one. It's about 8 men that take golf lessons on Sunday mornings. The author goes into each of their lives. One of the men is married to a woman who is physically abusive to him.. Each man has his own private life. Secrets unfold. It's a good read.

It too mentions many places in The Villages.
I got one of my books on Amazon. Also, if Barnes and Noble doesn't have them in stock, they will order them. Since the auther lives in The Villages, I got a couple books directly from her.
Tampa, FL
Old 02-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Gold member

Hi Avista,

Thanks for the info on the books. I like reading about specific areas around the world. Do not mean travel guides. The areas take on another dimension that way.

If any one knows of other authors who write about specific areas please let me know.

I think I have read all of Donna Leon's books about Venice, Italy. I enjoyed Venice more after reading her books and recalling the different crimes that took place in Venice.

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 02-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Platinum member

HB Anther series I've enjoyed is written by Beverly Lewis. She writes about the Amish in Lancaster County PA. I've really learned a lot about the Amish and Mennonite people.
Tampa, FL
Old 02-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Gold member

Hi Avista,

I will get these books. Presently I am reading a mystery during Victorian English times. Similar to Miss Marple.

HB
Old 02-26-2008, 01:10 AM

Maybe a TOTV book club is in the making................ :bigthumbsup: I'd love that - when I finally get to TV permanently.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:23 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Lots of authors write about the areas of the world they know best. One of my favorites is Wilbur Smith who writes about the history of Africa. From ancient Egypt to modern day South Africa. He is a prolific writer with over 40 books on this subject.

James Clavell writes mostly about Asia. His last one was in the Middle East. Also an excellent writer.

Carl Hiassen writes about Miami. Lawrence Sanders about Southern Florida. Steve Marttini about Northern California. John Grissom bases a lot of his books in Memphis. Collen McCullough places most of her books in Australia. Nelson Demille places a lot of his books on Long Island. They all depart from home sometimes, but if you read all of their books, you will see a common set of locations.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:38 AM
Gold member

Thanks, appreciate the info. When I worked in the city (NYC) would go to a Travellers Book Store and would find these books. This store subsequently closed.

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 02-27-2008, 04:57 AM
Gold member

Avista and other book lovers... A few really good authors that make you feel like you live in their book, are Armistad Maupin's Tales of the City..San Francisco (makes me homesick), Alexander Mc Call Smith's...44 Scotland Street, and Lorna Landvik's book club series (novels about the members of a book club) starting with Patty Jane's House of Curl.
Enjoy.
The Villages Florida
Old 02-29-2008, 12:30 AM

Alexander McCall Smith's other series is the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, and its a great series as well. I've fallen in love with all the charactars.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:57 AM
Gold member

Me too!
The Villages Florida
Old 03-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Sage

Hi, don't know if anyone tried The New Earth yet, but it's fascinating. It's not a novel, it's an awakening. It really gets you thinking. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Old 03-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea24
Hi, don't know if anyone tried The New Earth yet, but it's fascinating. It's not a novel, it's an awakening. It really gets you thinking. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Who is this book by?
Old 03-04-2008, 11:47 PM
Gold member

Thanks Chelsea, I have ordered it from my library...#52 on the waiting list. Must be a popular book.
This is what the library blurp said about the book...
"Eckhart Tolle takes us beyond our own lives to show that we now have an opportunity to birth a new, more loving world. This involves a radical inner leap of consciousness from the current identification with our ego to an entirely new way of thinking about who we are. For this to happen, the very structures of the human mind would need to undergo an evolutionary transformation." --cover.
So Tal, for you, the author is Eckhart Tolle.
The Villages Florida
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.