Decorating advice

Closed Thread
Old 06-10-2020, 06:04 AM
Default Decorating advice

Hi all. We just got our house painted and I let my husband pick out the color for all 3 bedrooms. He thought it was a deep blue but it's very purple. I kinda like the way it looks in the master but the small bedroom and his office is a little dark. I read online that brown, coffee, tan go good with purple. Any advice on how to decorate to lighten it up? No furniture in rooms yet. Please excuse the green valances. They are coming down Thanks for any advice!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20355.jpg
Views:	840
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	84519   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20200609_165625.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	84520  
Old 06-10-2020, 06:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,418 Times in 5,109 Posts

It looks like the paint has a unusually high gloss to it for a bedroom. I would repaint the two smaller rooms with a lighter color and use a lower gloss paint (eggshell) which should cover the darker paint with one coat.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:25 AM

It is eggshell. It used to be flat but the painter said that is hard to clean so he did eggshell
Old 06-10-2020, 06:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

I'd invite you to consider repainting before you bring the furniture in, as it doesn't sound like you're really pleased with this dark shade....and a lighter color will make the rooms look larger

we painted our guest room a light lilac color a couple of years ago...the 'off white' wicker bedroom set lightens up the room somewhat
Old 06-10-2020, 06:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,418 Times in 5,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinganimals View Post
It is eggshell. It used to be flat but the painter said that is hard to clean so he did eggshell
Sorry, it looks very shiny in the photo. But, I would definitely add a lighter coat. I think light colored furniture would provide too much contrast.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:11 AM

My husband just said he thinks maybe doing some kind of pattern or area a lighter color. Maybe just using the purple as a border or going over it with a rough roller in another shade. And yes it does look awfully shiny. Maybe it's my camera, not sure
Old 06-10-2020, 08:19 AM

If you are trying to lighten it up brown and coffee don’t sound like they will accomplish that. In my opinion, and I am not a decorator, you need a light tone of whatever color you choose. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2020, 08:31 AM

On the color wheel the complimentary color of purple is gold. If you are not 100% happy with the color now, you aren't going to be happy when the room is decorated. Repaint. Sherwin Williams has a color consultant that can come out and help.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 06-11-2020, 02:00 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Hi lovinganimals,

I understand. I have a few fast repaints in my past. But, in case you are still thinking about keeping the new colors, I am offering a suggestion that might help.

Think about what you would like to hang on the walls. Darker colors will draw attention to artwork.

Many years ago, we visited the Ringling Museum of Art in Sarasota. A docent there was talking not only about the paintings, she also talked about the colors of the walls where the paintings were hanging.

The museum’s wall colors had been carefully chosen to draw the eye to the artwork. Darker colors worked beautifully for exhibiting the paintings.

If you do not already have things you would like to use (and if you would also like to wile away an afternoon), I suggest looking at art.com where you will find thousands of prints.

The site, art.com, can seem overwhelming at first but it is organized by filters — subjects, colors, styles, etc. On art.com, you can find a picture of just about anything you can think of.

For instance, if you like flowers, you can search for a print of purple flowers, along with other colors, especially yellow, and, of course, green in the picture, too, on a white background, frame it in black, and you’ve got a happy, colorful picture for a purple guest room wall. If you like a more modern look, black and white would look really good on a purple wall. Sometimes I group pictures. When I do that, I always arrange them so that an invisible oval could be drawn around the entire group.

Also, and I bet you already know this — if your husband is hanging the pictures for you, please do not let him hang them too high. I always have to explain to Mr. Boomer and his hammer that there is a formula for picture-hanging height and it does not involve having to crane your neck to look at the picture. Oh well, I do appreciate the help.

When we bought our Florida house, I wanted a print that showed something from our hometown. I went to art.com, typed in the name of our city, and there I found a print of our beloved train terminal — now a museum — even better, it was a copy of an old postcard from the 1940s. Loved it. Had it professionally matted and framed and even sprung for the glass that protects from sunlight. Although the print was inexpensive, the framing was not, but I loved the picture and love it still. But I do not always frame like that.

I have also used ready-made frames from Michaels. Having prints dry-mount pressed works well, too. No frame, hangers on the back — a more casual look than framing. Looks good for big posters or maps and saves a lot of money — no framing or glass.

Anyway, I wish you the best with your decision. Just thought I would direct you to art.com for some inspiration to help you make those walls look like they were meant to be. But, again, I must warn you — once you start playing around with the art.com site, you will not know how your day got away so fast.

Boomer

PS: I almost forgot to tell you that if you want to have a little touch of Florida, and fun, in one of those rooms, art.com has flamingos, too. I have a small, rather modern looking drawing of a flamingo on a black background with touches of green in the picture with it. A flamingo would go perfectly on a purple wall, in Florida.

Last edited by Boomer; 06-11-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:18 PM

Boomer, WOW! That was a lot of info and exactly what I was looking for! I did go shopping today and I found some artwork that I think will go very well. A canvas off off white flowers with an ombre background with just the tiniest hint of lavender at the bottom, and a 3 canvas set of abstract that looks like lines of trees, some of which have a hint of grayish purple. Thank you very much for all this info and I appreciate your taking the time to relay it all. I am feeling very optimistic about these rooms now!
Old 06-11-2020, 08:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

Hubby said you can rent the house out for Barney Parties.

Actually it’s a lovely iris color - all the beautiful colors of irises would be ideal for your rooms.

I’d paint a 10” by 10” piece of cardboard with the wall paint color and take it with me when shopping to see how the item looks against it.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	B1DB87E8-AEC8-4502-B41E-38DF851244EC.jpeg
Views:	712
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	84558  

Last edited by Velvet; 06-11-2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:14 PM

And you let Hubby pick colors why?
Old 06-12-2020, 07:56 AM

ONTAP15: lol
VeLVET: good idea. I did see 2 very large pictures of up close iris at Bargains and treasures. I may go back!
Old 06-12-2020, 09:52 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Good morning, lovinganimals,

I appreciate your letting me know that my detailed post helped you. I smiled a big smile when I saw your post back to me.

A couple of years ago, I found a big canvas with the colors I wanted at Lowe’s on 441 — or was it Home Depot. I am pretty sure it was Lowe’s.

Anyway, there was a small section there, kind of in the area of the kitchen display — or was it the window shades — well, somewhere in that neck of the woods.

If I am remembering correctly, it cost less than 40 dollars. The beauty of that price though was that it was a stretched canvas which needed nothing else — no frame needed. Also, it was big and colorful and splashy.

I don’t know what made me even look at the big box store for artwork. But I am glad I did. It was not a big selection and maybe they don’t sell those anymore, but it still might be worth looking.

I have bought some paintings and photos from Villagers at the shows that were happening then. I also found some things at the art festival in Leesburg. But, of course, those things probably cannot happen again for a while.

There is some wonderful talent in TV. (I have also bought some beautiful pottery from Villagers.)

And don’t forget about Goodwill. At a Goodwill store back home, I bought a signed print for 4 dollars. I rescued it from its corner and its broken frame and had it custom matted and framed because it “sparked joy.”

Trust your eye, and you will find things that will “spark joy” for you.

Have fun.

Boomer
Old 06-12-2020, 10:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

I was watching “Young and the Restless” the TV show, and the living room at Victor Newman’s, a supposedly very wealthy man, the wall is a very similar color to what you posted. The set is beautifully and tastefully furnished and decorated. It might be of interest to you.
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, purple, tan, good, coffee

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.