Decorating advice

Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2020, 10:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

My decorating advise would be to hang up one of these in every room in the house, but I guess that's why my wife does most of the decorating?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	3s.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	84589  
Old 06-13-2020, 06:38 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
My decorating advise would be to hang up one of these in every room in the house, but I guess that's why my wife does most of the decorating?
My husbands plaque with his 6 hole in one's from here in The Villages looks perfect in his bathroom. All the colors are a perfect match.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,705 Posts

A Thomas Darnell piece of art:
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	F0130D4B-7796-4451-8616-8647671AB482.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	84630  
Old 06-14-2020, 04:37 PM

I would leave one room in the dark shade and repaint the others. Thats too much of the same thing. "Greige" tones are popular now; warmer grey. And much more interesting than Brownwood Beige! Eggshell is the perfect sheen! Boomer is right; the focal point of the picture/photo should be eye level to the shorter homeowner (unless they are super short, then a compromise) Items hung over a headboard or sofa need to have the lower edge just 6-8 inches above the top of the sofa/headboard/etc, not centered vertically in the remaining space. The current trend is to put curtain rods almost up to the ceiling/crown molding to elongate the windows.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:20 PM

Boomer
Yes I have been looking at Goodwills and such. Funny you should mention that....when my mother was alive she loved going to all those places. She found 2 small 8x8 pictures at a Goodwill in CT where she lived. Wouldnt you know, she investigated and found they were from some little known but sought after artist and sold them for $10,000! I kid you not! Was the down payment on a house for her
Old 06-15-2020, 05:22 PM

Awesome, I will look. I used to watch that show many years ago
Old 06-15-2020, 05:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

That color looks like the exact color that my granddaughter painted one wall in her bedroom as an accent wall. The other three walls were painted the lightest purple on that color card, and it looked really good. Sometimes it’s not either/or; sometimes maybe it’s a little of this, and more of that?
Old 06-16-2020, 01:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
and what's wrong with that?
Old 06-16-2020, 03:17 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
For any other guys reading this who are impressed with this guy’s decorating advice, well, you do not have to remain green with envy.

Just go to art.com and type ‘three stooges’ into ‘search’ and there you will find a very tasteful selection of posters of The Three Stooges.

This elegant and curated collection of artwork includes one titled “Dizzy Pilots” and a particularly lovely one titled “Drink Yerself Stoopid.”

You surely will be convinced that you have found something appropriate for each room in the house.

You’re welcome,
Boomer
Old 06-17-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Oooooohhhhhhh! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!!
Old 06-17-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake57 View Post
I would leave one room in the dark shade and repaint the others. Thats too much of the same thing. "Greige" tones are popular now; warmer grey. And much more interesting than Brownwood Beige! Eggshell is the perfect sheen! Boomer is right; the focal point of the picture/photo should be eye level to the shorter homeowner (unless they are super short, then a compromise) Items hung over a headboard or sofa need to have the lower edge just 6-8 inches above the top of the sofa/headboard/etc, not centered vertically in the remaining space. The current trend is to put curtain rods almost up to the ceiling/crown molding to elongate the windows.
Yes, I was just reading about how high curtain rods should be. I like valences instead of drapes and my windows have moulding only on top ( my husband is going to put it all around eventually but I was wondering where the rod should go...above the moulding and cover it, or below. Thanks for the tips.
This forum has been great! I have gotten a lot of excellent tips and advice. Now if someone could buy me that Thimas Darnell art that Velvet posted hehe
Old 06-17-2020, 08:17 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Thank you, Velvet.

Beautiful painting. I looked him up and learned a new word — Pulchrism.

One click led to another and I found a site thomasdarnellprints.com where signed prints are sold in limited edition of 100.

He must be a big deal because even the prints are expensive. I scrolled through the site and found my favorite, titled “Max’s Flowers.” That one is available in 2 sizes, the biggest one is 35x60 and costs $2200. (I won’t be buying it, but I do like it a lot.) I also like the sunflowers you showed us.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:53 AM

Actually you have a lot to work with. You could repaint 3 of the walls and have this color as an accent wall - or, you can go with the flow. I am a jewelry designer and love to mix two strong colors but only if you had one neutral to soften the look. Yellow works wonderfully with purple hues. If the 'purple' is intense in real light your second could match in intensity but only in small doses. I would use a creamy white as your neutral color. Accessories with the three colors would blend everything together and make it all cohesive. Have fun with color
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, purple, tan, good, coffee

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.