Dirty dishes

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Default Dirty dishes

hi ladies I have corell dishes (bowls, mugs, etc..) and I notice they get these black marks on them even though I just use bowls for cereal?? It is extremely difficult to get off. Have to really scrub with Brillo?? could it be the water here ? I don't remember this happening in the past when I lived elsewhere??
Old 07-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Gold member

I don't know the answer to your question. But, have you tried the Mr. Clean pads? They seem to work on everything!
Old 07-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulababy View Post
hi ladies I have corell dishes (bowls, mugs, etc..) and I notice they get these black marks on them even though I just use bowls for cereal?? It is extremely difficult to get off. Have to really scrub with Brillo?? could it be the water here ? I don't remember this happening in the past when I lived elsewhere??
I've been using Corelle here for about 2 years now with problems re: black marks. My friend about a year and she hasn't mentioned it either. For a year we had no water filter and no issues with the dishes; we did put an under the counter water filter in, still no problems. Good luck and I'll be interested in hearing other comments.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:49 PM

wow that is interesting as it is Corelle bowls I am using. The black stains appear on the outside of the bowl and basically like i said i just use for cereal in AM. hmm let's see what others say
Old 07-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

mine are 2 years old and no problems
Old 07-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Sage

Are marks from the dishwasher??? Quite a mystery for sure.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:14 AM
Default Corelle Stains

I've been using Corelle for about 35 years. When my dishes start getting black marks, I normally just soak them and pure bleach for a few hours. You might also try using a Mr. Clean magic eraser pad. They really are magic without being too abrasive.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulababy View Post
I used to have corelle dishes and used them for many years up north. Over time they would dark marks in the cups, on the plates etc. Corelle makes a cleaner much like Soft Scrub that will take the marks right off easy peasy. Soft Scrub works well also. I used to get the cleaner at Bed, Bath, and I am told the dark marks actually come from the silverware. That idea seems true in my case because the marks in the coffee cups were in a swirling pattern like using to spoon to stir the coffee. Anyway, I use 18/10 stainless I am now getting dark marks on my Fiesta Ware and will be getting out the cleaner. I may try the Mr. Clean Eraser. By the way, the Mr. Clean Eraser works well on the walls here with the builder grade paint. Hope this info helps. OOPS! I wasn't paying attention. This is an old post.

Last edited by JC and John; 11-23-2013 at 10:20 AM. Reason: noting old post
Old 11-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindaStarlin View Post
I've been using Corelle for about 35 years. When my dishes start getting black marks, I normally just soak them and pure bleach for a few hours. You might also try using a Mr. Clean magic eraser pad. They really are magic without being too abrasive.
I also think a trip to Target will net you new bowls, for about $2/3 each, if Magic Eraser doesn't work. I found Magic Eraser to be a marvelous product for many things, such as cleaning walls that that have dirt marks, as opposed to painting.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-23-2013, 06:04 PM
Veteran member

Strange as it may sound, toothpaste works wonders. Our daughter in law picked up a set at the thrift store and her grandmother passed on the info. Put a little toothpaste on the sport, rub in a circular motion, and then wash as you normally would. Her grandmother said it came form eating utensils coming in contact with the dishes.

This is all third party knowledge, but worth a try.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:10 PM
Sage
Default I think it's the water

I have the same problem. It's so weird. I think it's the water. We are going to get a water system shortly. I have stopped washing my silverware in the dishwasher because when I take them out it looks like I never washed them. Same with my plastic ware. I'm convinced it's the water because my friend has a water softener and purifier and her dishes sparkle!!! Also, my jet dry container seized up with gunk.....something accumulated in there, it looks like detergent, and broke it. I will let you know if there is any change after the water system.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.