Gentle Exercise Classes for Women Who Hate to Jump Around

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Sage
Default Re: Gentle Exercise Classes for Women Who Hate to Jump Around

Seems like golf and pickleball are the primary "free" amenities. Sadly, I am so unco-ordinated I can't manage them. They do offer intermediate yoga and line dancing free, but for the beginners/dummy introduction to yoga and line dancing, you have to go to the lifelong learning college and pay.

Also, all fitness centers have a charge. I stuck my head in the one at Laurel Manor, and saw a bunch of people working very hard on treadmills and stairs. Made me so tired I had to go home and have a nap.

Alas, most activities are in the morning, which lets me out as I don't function at the mornings. However I've found something gentle to do almost every afternoon. Just need to experiment. I've also found walking at the Dog Park to be delightful, as well as swimming on the really hot days.

Loving it in the Villages
Dreading the time I have to snowbird back to Canada
BF
Old 03-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

OK, I admit to reading AARP and have subscribed since they first hit me up on my 50th birthday.

This month's issue has a piece about Brain Yoga. I had never heard of Brain Yoga, but I thought it sure could not hurt to find out more.

I went into the website and found a link to the article so I could share it with you. If you are interested, just scroll down to where it talks about "Mental Muscle" and try to follow the directions. I can grab my earlobes fine, but those deep knee bends can get pretty tricky with nothing to hang on to except your own earlobes.

But I am going to keep trying and thought you might like to join me. I guess you will know that it is working for me if I suddenly begin to use really big words or something.

Here's the link: http://www.aarpmagazine.org/health/y..._exercise.html

Are any of you using those exercise balls as desk chairs? I have been wondering if Barefoot ever got the one she bought blown up.

Boomer
Old 03-06-2008, 01:57 AM
Veteran member

I'm here in TV now but have been bursting at the seams with company. When I get a breather, I'll call the graduate student who works in my office about sitting on the exercise ball. In the meantime, it is wonderful here!

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 03-06-2008, 02:02 AM
Sage

Another Linda,

When you get some free time give me a call, we can try that slow and easy bike ride thru the villages. We have Village Kid and Red to join us,in the meantime enjoy your company! ;D

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:28 AM

I love Leslie Sansons's walking tapes. They give you some toning exercises along with "walking." Best of all you can do it at home when it's raining. (no snow in TV).

I have one that has a belt with stretchy bands on it. It's good for the abs.

This is the first exercise I've ever done in years.

Here's one of the websites for her tapes.

http://www.lesliesansonevideos.com/
New Jersey
Old 03-09-2008, 02:06 AM
Veteran member

I loved reading this page. Made me laugh alot. I, also, am not a morning person, also looked into the Laurel Manor Fitness Center--know what you are talking about---am "line danced" challenged--only know The Electric Slide----still trying to find my "niche" in the villages. Just moved in permanently first of November---have had non-stopped company so my exercise has been mostly cooking, cleaning, eating and entertaining but what a glorious place to do everything, anything and nothing!!!!
Old 03-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Sage

More girl talk:

I thank everyone for their input regarding tapes and CDs which you can do at home. Unfortunately I am not motivated to do anything at home which doesn't involve sleeping or eating (hmmm, could that be one of my problems?) I find it motivating to have to show up at an activity and be in a roomful of women all doing the same exercises. Also, I don't want a "heavy" workout like you get at the Fitness Centers.

I've found QiGong, Yoga, Stretch & Tone, and Synergetics to be wonderful activites offered locally. I showed up for Body Sculpting but dancing around with weights just doesn't do it for me. Just wondering if anyone is enjoying an easy, fun and beneficial activity at a local recreation center?

P.S. I've now spent over nine days on TOTV. If I'd spent that amount of time exercising, I'd now weigh 97 lbs.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Gold member

Hi BF,

I know all to well what you mean by having Cd's and David's to exercise with. I think they all went in the last yard sale.

It seems as if I am only motivated when either I buy the items or make a commitment to do something with someone else.

I wonder if many of us have all of these excellent materials in our homes to exercise or relax with. Mine become dust collectors.

I will have to try some of the things that you do. I am physically unable to do yoga or certain other maneuvers.

I circled all the aqua aerobic classes and am now waiting for warmer weather or water temperature of the pools to be similar to the Caribbean.

I will admit, like all of you, my fingers get the most exercise as I am addicted to TOTV.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Platinum member

I have a 1979 Jane Fonda workout video my darling husband bought me >that I swear by and still use on occasion. Starts off with stretching and has mostly isometric exercises. From 1979-1998 I would do the 25 minute low impact routine 3 days a week with my girlfriend, starting April fools day, and be ready for swimwear by the end of May. (We lived at the beach) After almost 20 years of my yearly ritual I quit. It shows!! I do feel better when I exercise. In Nov. when I noticed my great grandma's arms in the mirror I started to do some of the routine again,10 minutes here and there and it does do the trick for some firming up. Maybe we can start our own club (GIRLS ONLY and please not on the 4th tee at OB!! sorry guys :redface and we could all contribute something as I would love to learn some yoga or other stretching and firming techniques.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:40 PM

Got one of those exercise balls to use at the computer.
Had to get the 65 cm size for desk height.

I think it improves posture and I bounce and roll a bit when I get tired of sitting in the same position. I hope it improves the muscles in the lower spine. It seems like it would.

It is quite refreshing.
Thanks for your suggestion.

:bigthumbsup:
Old 03-09-2008, 11:40 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqrstar
Got one of those exercise balls to use at the computer.
Had to get the 65 cm size for desk height.

I think it improves posture and I bounce and roll a bit when I get tired of sitting in the same position. I hope it improves the muscles in the lower spine. It seems like it would.

It is quite refreshing.
Thanks for your suggestion.

:bigthumbsup:
-glad you like the exercise ball. I think it's fun. It's also good to use while watching television. Actually, at this very moment, I am sitting on the exercise ball, typing, scratching my dog's ears, AND watching television. --- oh I am such a multi-tasker.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:03 AM

I have been looking for a plain ole bicycle, or maybe a beach cruiser, without hand brakes.
Just the old fashioned kind where you push the petals backwards to stop.
Anyone have any ideas of the best place to find one?
The best ones like that I've seen are always mens. I guess I'm tall enough that I Could straddle that bar on a mens if I Had to. But I'd sure prefer not to.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:51 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintjulep
I have been looking for a plain ole bicycle, or maybe a beach cruiser, without hand brakes.
Just the old fashioned kind where you push the petals backwards to stop.
Anyone have any ideas of the best place to find one?
The best ones like that I've seen are always mens. I guess I'm tall enough that I Could straddle that bar on a mens if I Had to. But I'd sure prefer not to.
Hi MintJ,

You just described my bike. I am extremely uncoordinated and I absolutely cannot get used to handbrakes. Several years ago I went on a quest for a bike without them. I found a Schwinn. It has the old-fashioned kind of brakes, but it does have a few, though not too many, gears which make hills better. The tires are fatter and it is a girls' style.

I bought it at a bicycle store. It was new. I remember at the time I was so thrilled to know such a bike existed.

I just now went out into the garage to see if there was any more to the name than just Schwinn. There should be a model. But the bike is hanging from the ceiling so I can't get a close look right now. For some reason I think it may be called The Cruiser, but I may have just made that up.

I am embarrassed to say how long it has been since I have ridden it. But I do love it. Maybe I can move it to TV someday.

Good luck on your search.

Boomer
Old 03-10-2008, 02:58 AM

Thanx Boomer,
Hey, maybe it can replace your exercise ball when you're in TV. Then you could get out and see stuff and exercise at the same time,,, multitask!!!

I'll check the Schwinn website, see what they have. And where I can buy it.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.