Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2015, 06:40 PM
Gold member
Default might be getting off the thread topic, but . . .

one of our new favorite series (actually an old one, I guess - we're watching on Netflix) is New Tricks, a British series bringing 3 old detectives (all with quirks) out of retirement to work under a woman chief superintendent on Cold Cases. We really like it.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:52 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Hello and thank you, Barefoot and Ohiogirl, for your Netflix suggestions. I tend to be overwhelmed by the number of choices on Netflix. Lots of them I have never heard of so I always like suggestions.

Ohiogirl, I saw what you wrote on top of your post about thinking maybe you were going off topic. Certainly not. Not at all. You were not even close to straying from the topic and besides, I think it is fun to expand on a topic. I call it conversation.

The "Girl Talk" thread has a history. The purpose of this thread is to allow for conversation about things that interest women. And to allow for topics to meander and jump. Just like dinner conversation in a group of women. We all know we have a remarkable ability to follow several conversations at once -- so here in "Girl Talk" we can do just that.......

More than seven years ago, Barefoot started the "Girl Talk" thread, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that we women could carry on our conversation in our own way. And through more than 2500 posts and tons of topics and passing a quarter million hits and for almost 8 years, "Girl Talk" has endured.

And I cannot remember a single time when anyone in "Girl Talk" was rude or suspicious.

Boomerang Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 09-27-2015 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:43 AM
Soaring Parsley

I like the show Madam Secretary but what's with her wearing jackets with 3/4 sleeves with long-sleeved blouses. Last night it was a 3/4 sleeved sweater over a long-sleeved blouse with cuffs that looked like they had been caught in a shredder. (Maybe some secret documents had to be shredded and she did not have time to change.)

I wore a lot of jackets to work but I never would have worn them with 8 inches of blouse sleeve hanging out.

Oh well, I guess I am hopelessly out of it. At least Madam Secretary is not going around with her bra straps showing. That is a "look" that I really do not get.

I try not to miss the show. But I do find that sleeve combo disconcerting.

Last edited by Boomer; 10-19-2015 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:57 AM

Boomer... I love the show Madame Secretary but last night I kept being distracted by the terrible clothes that Tea Leone wears in every episode. I really hate it when men talk about the looks of politicians so I feel a bit badly saying that but seriously, she's a nice looking woman and is always in bad "man" clothes!
Old 10-19-2015, 08:28 AM
Veteran member

I also found that blouse, sleeves and colors, totally distracting.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:34 AM
Soaring Parsley

I am hoping someone can tell me what I am doing wrong.....

I am so aggravated at having brand new black pants turn a noncommittal shade of charcoal gray after just two or three washings.

The pants are cotton, mostly capris. Some of them from L. L. Bean and Lands End.

I wash them in cold water. I turn them inside-out. I use Woolite. Sometimes I use Cheer. Both of those promise to guard my colors. But that is not happening.

I am spending my life-savings replacing capris because the ones in my closet look like 50 shades of charcoal.

Any laundry tips that can put me back in black?

Last edited by Boomer; 10-21-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I am hoping someone can tell me what I am doing wrong.....

I am so aggravated at having brand new black pants turn a noncommittal shade of charcoal gray after just two or three washings.

The pants are cotton, mostly capris. Some of them from L. L. Bean and Lands End.

I wash them in cold water. I turn them inside-out. I use Woolite. Sometimes I use Cheer. Both of those promise to guard my colors. But that is not happening.

I am spending my life-savings replacing capris because the ones in my closet look like 50 shades of charcoal.

Any laundry tips that can put me back in black?
I have heard a couple of things down through the years. I don't have any proof. One was to soak the items in vinegar and water before the first wash to "set" the color. The second thing I heard was that the dryer does as much to fade the color as the washer.

I just dyed three black shirts that are old, I love, and can't replace. It was a pain in the neck as we don't have a stainless sink and I was afraid of staining the sink. I used the plastic laundry sink but was very careful. It turned out well, but I probably won't do that again.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:37 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I have heard a couple of things down through the years. I don't have any proof. One was to soak the items in vinegar and water before the first wash to "set" the color. The second thing I heard was that the dryer does as much to fade the color as the washer.

I just dyed three black shirts that are old, I love, and can't replace. It was a pain in the neck as we don't have a stainless sink and I was afraid of staining the sink. I used the plastic laundry sink but was very careful. It turned out well, but I probably won't do that again.

I have thought about trying to dye them, but I know I would turn it into a rigmarole that would ruin something and/or I would end up with the dye not properly setting and getting all over me when I wore the pants.

I had not heard the vinegar thing but I think I did hear something about salt in the water.

I do understand what you mean though about being willing to try dye with shirts you really like. Pants are at least usually replaceable but shirts don't seem to be.

I also would like to know if anyone has bought a brand of black pants with color that holds.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Oh, and here's another thing. But you may be unwilling to do this. I send all black pants, of any material, to the dry cleaner. It's mainly because I am lousy at ironing pants. but they don't fade.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:24 PM

Boomer, there is a type of Woolite for use on black clothes only, which is in a black container. I use that type on all my black clothes, including tops, blouses, bras and even trouser socks. I even use it on dark blue jeans. I wash in cold water and hang everything to dry; however, then I usually have to steam iron all the clothes. The ironing is annoying but the clothes do last longer so I indulge in "junk" TV while ironing.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:56 PM
Gold member

I do agree that the dryer is very hard on colors. I hang almost all of my clothes but when I mistakenly put some into the dryer there was a major difference.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
I do agree that the dryer is very hard on colors. I hang almost all of my clothes but when I mistakenly put some into the dryer there was a major difference.
I also hang all my clothes to dry. Otherwise they shrink.
Actually I've noticed lately that even clothes I haven't washed are shrinking. yikes.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:19 AM
Sage

I was at a public beach recently. Most men had on roomy bathing suits down to their knees.
I noticed that most women were jammed into little suits with their cellulite bottoms hanging out.
So ... Who decided the proper "bathing costume" for women
Old 11-02-2015, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I also hang all my clothes to dry. Otherwise they shrink.
Actually I've noticed lately that even clothes I haven't washed are shrinking. yikes.

Mine are shrinking too. I think it's the Kettle Chips.

Please carry on about the black dye fading in clothes. It is amazing how much you can learn on this forum.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:39 PM
Gold member

I have found that my cotton and cotton blend blacks fade from the sun exposure here. I don't know how to change that!

The only pants I have that don't fade, machine wash and dry beautifully, don't wrinkle and are great in the hot weather here is the Zenergy Neema pants and shorts from Chico's. They are a super light weight, synthetic blend that are very comfy. Same type of fabric as my Hubby's golf shorts. They are truly colorfast.

I bought 5 different colors and they hold up great. The Blacks do not fade. All my other fabrics have since I have been here.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.