Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2016, 04:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
If you enjoy Frankie & Grace, the second series is now available on Netflix.
Love this series!
Old 05-14-2016, 04:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
Love this series!
I especially like Frankie & Grace because Lily Tomlin is 76. And Jane Fonda is 78. Remarkable!
Old 05-14-2016, 06:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I especially like Frankie & Grace because Lily Tomlin is 76. And Jane Fonda is 78. Remarkable!
I think all the characters are so funny, even the daughters and sons.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
I think all the characters are so funny, even the daughters and sons.
I like all the characters also.
If you haven't seen Frankie & Grace, try this light-hearted spoof on Netflix.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:51 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Good morning,

Often here we talk about hair: Haircuts. Hair Color. Hair Stylists. Hair Products. Hair Angst.

I am among those aging boomers who cannot go gently into white hair -- even though I think white hair looks beautiful on friends and strangers. Gray hair looks beautiful, too.........Sometimes I think if mine could go through the transitioning in that lovely salt and pepper way, I would be fine........

But nooooooo, my roots grow in white. And those roots come in fast.

I have decided to try to give up on the darker base-color retouch and to highlight more heavily at the roots, lighter and lighter, while hoping to gradually blend in the white.

I am one of the abominable snowbirds.......sort of, although we are in our TV house more often than just winter. That means I am going through this process in two states.

Last winter, I found Myra at Urban Hair Studio, which is a Wella Salon. I really like Myra. She listens and communicates and understands the complexity that coloring hair can be. With bleaching, knowing how and when to use a toner is really important. Myra did mine just right. A good colorist has to be a good chemist. Myra also gives a good haircut.

Although not going gently into my real white hair is a big commitment, I do like the fact that bleach (done right) gives hair more oomph. And my hair needs all the oomph it can get.

This Girl Talk thread was started by Barefoot many years ago. And if you go back to the first page, you will see the very first topic was......you guessed it! Hair! And I am still here. A little embarrassing actually. Have I stayed too long? Agonizing over my hair color?

Any thoughts and suggestions on how to make this transition into reality? Or the best way not to?

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 05-25-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Good morning,

Often here we talk about hair: Haircuts. Hair Color. Hair Stylists. Hair Products. Hair Angst.

I am among those aging boomers who cannot go gently into white hair -- even though I think white hair looks beautiful on friends and strangers. Gray hair looks beautiful, too.........Sometimes I think if mine could go through the transitioning in that lovely salt and pepper way, I would be fine........

I have decided to try to give up on the darker base-color retouch and to highlight more heavily at the roots, lighter and lighter, while hoping to gradually blend in the white.

I am one of the abominable snowbirds.......sort of, although we are in our TV house more often than just winter. That means I am going through this process in two states.

Last winter, I found Myra at Urban Hair Studio, which is a Wella Salon. I really like Myra. She listens and communicates and understands the complexity that coloring hair can be. With bleaching, knowing how and when to use a toner is really important. Myra did mine just right. A good colorist has to be a good chemist. Myra also gives a good haircut.

Although not going gently into my real white hair is a big commitment, I do like the fact that bleach (done right) gives hair more oomph. And my hair needs all the oomph it can get.

This Girl Talk thread was started by Barefoot many years ago. And if you go back to the first page, you will see the very first topic was......you guessed it! Hair! And I am still here. A little embarrassing actually. Have I stayed too long? Agonizing over my hair color?

Any thoughts and suggestions on how to make this transition into reality? Or the best way not to?

Boomer
At least here in TV, I think you have gone to the right place, Urban Hair. When I was there last week, Sam the owner said Wella has come out with several more shades, and she chose one of them for me. They are very good with color at Urban Hair. Good luck with your transition. I have the same problems with my gray roots, plus skin tone that looks horrible with my hair's shade of gray. I know this because my hair started graying in my 30s, and I tried to let it go then. The result was not good, to say the least. So I am chicken to try this again. My feeling is if I ended up having to color it to change the shade of gray, I might as well stick with coloring it dark blonde.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:31 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Hi CFrance,

I know what you mean about skin tone. I have to figure out how to keep some kind of dimension in the color or my whole head will fade into one big blah. I am thinking about shades of dark blonde with my white blending in. It is sure a process in more ways than one.........

Now, CFrance, I hope you will join me in a smile based upon looking at your avatar in juxtaposition to your post. -- I can't help picturing the writer being the one in the avatar and as a result of my wandering imagination, I must say....... I think your shades of blonde in your picture are just beautiful with your gray.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 05-25-2016 at 11:41 AM. Reason: I changed 'blond' to 'blonde'. - 'twas a quandary.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Boomer
I share your angst.
I go to Urban Hair for six months in the winter; all the sylists there seem to be excellent.
But --- I haven't yet found anyone in Canada that can cut my hair similar to Urban Hair!
The last hairdresser that I liked in Canada moved away; and it took me years to find her.
I am booked with someone new on Saturday, wish me luck.
I followed the advice of the owner of Urban Hair and picked a hair cutter who has worked in the same shop for 30 years. We'll see.

I transitioned about a year ago. No, not gender, going grey.
I developed allergies to hair dye so I had no choice.
I always thought my hair would be a gorgeous icy white color.
But no, it's salt and pepper with more pepper than salt, especially at the back.
Which makes me look somewhat like a zebra.
But now I've gotten used to it; I don't mind my hair color at all.
One problem with transitioning is now I need a new wardrobe.
My old orange-reds don't look jazzy at all with grey hair.

So Boomer, my advice to you is TRANSITION.
You'll be glad you did.

I was a slave to hair color for many years.
Now the freedom from dying and highlighting - priceless.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Hi CFrance,

I know what you mean about skin tone. I have to figure out how to keep some kind of dimension in the color or my whole head will fade into one big blah. I am thinking about shades of dark blonde with my white blending in. It is sure a process in more ways than one.........

Now, CFrance, I hope you will join me in a smile based upon looking at your avatar in juxtaposition to your post. -- I can't help picturing the writer being the one in the avatar and as a result of my wandering imagination, I must say....... I think your shades of blonde in your picture are just beautiful with your gray.

Boomer
Ha ha! I wish I had his hair--but not his snout...
Old 05-31-2016, 10:48 AM

Does anyone know anything about Meghan at Cals Barber and Beauty in Brownwood? Looking for a new stylist
Old 05-31-2016, 03:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina51898 View Post
Does anyone know anything about Meghan at Cals Barber and Beauty in Brownwood? Looking for a new stylist
Tina, I see you are new to TOTV, welcome!

You are surely welcome to ask any question here.
However I thought you might not know about the search button.
Did you know you can do a search on Meghan by pushing the search button above and typing in Meghan's name?
You will get any thread mentioning the name Meghan, like the one below.
Hair Cuttery at Pinellas
Old 05-31-2016, 05:38 PM

Thank you so much for that, it's very helpful
Old 05-31-2016, 05:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina51898 View Post
Thank you so much for that, it's very helpful
You're welcome Tina. I hope you keep posting!
Old 06-03-2016, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default New experience

Many of you will think I am crazy, but yesterday I had a new experience in my life ........... I had a pedicure! I don't like people touching me so I have always done my own finger and toe nails, but due to a weird fatty deposit which is growing around my waist I am having difficulty in reaching the toe nails! I also have a deformed nail which is unsightly and I hate people to see it.

Yesterday I allowed myself to be dragged to Nails and I am completely addicted. It takes me an hour to do what this beautiful young Asian woman did in about six minutes and then she followed up with an incredible foot and leg massage - I was in heaven.

I am still in love with my feet, the deformed nail looks almost normal and I love the color I chose. Cannot wait to go back!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-03-2016, 10:38 AM
Sage

Weird fatty deposit...LOL
You are too funny!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.