Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2016, 07:57 PM
Sage

Wen hair products have been discussed on Girl Talk.
Interesting article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/16/us...0&ref=headline
Old 08-21-2016, 11:19 AM
Sage

Three excellent new books that I've recently read (from the Library).

"The Good House" by Ann Leary -
A story about a successful real estate broker living in a small town and struggling with addiction.

"We Never Asked for Wings" by Vanessa Diffenbaugh" -
Not the main plot, but this story gave me a new perspective on undocumented immigration.

"The Girls", by Lori Lansens -
A fascinating story about conjoined twins.
It's a work of fiction but it reads like a unique autobiography written by the twins,
two very unique, very distinct people.
I couldn't put this book down!
Old 08-21-2016, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Books

Thanks Bare for opening this discussion of books.....

We were in a rental cottage at a Cape Cod beach a week or so ago, and there were several "chick interest" books and I picked up one just for something to do one day. It was the story of "Me Before You" and I had not seen the movie so I was entranced with the story, so much so that I bought the sequel to it, "After You" ....... author Jojo Moyes. Absolutely could not put it down, and I guess she is going to write the third and make it a trilogy. Now I have to read the rest of her books!

I also read Joan Anderson's "An Unfinished Marriage", absolutely loved it, so relevant to mature women who have been married for many years and have those nagging doubts about there being more to life than ..... you get the idea.

I usually read mysteries, but these books held a certain fascination for me and I want to read more.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-27-2016, 06:08 AM

I realize that this is an old question, but all of the threads are dated and people change salons. So, does anyone know of a really good hairstyle? I looking for someone specifically who cuts precision hairstyles, as in no layering. Thanks so much for your help!
Old 08-27-2016, 06:10 AM

Sorry, so many mistakes!! 1) I would like a hairstylist 2) I'm looking for someone :>)
Old 08-27-2016, 06:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Lis View Post
Sorry, so many mistakes!! 1) I would like a hairstylist 2) I'm looking for someone :>)
The owner of Urban Hair Studio on 466, Samanta. She is a master hair stylist, does excellent work. There are some pictures here: urban hair studio - Google Search
Old 08-27-2016, 08:46 AM

Thank you so much, CFrance, appreciate the help. The pictures / examples are just what I am looking for!
Old 09-10-2016, 07:31 AM
Sage
Default Facial Recommendation

Ladies, need your input. I would like to have a facial. I have searched the local area and see that we have a good choice of spas. Would anyone care to recommend one that they feel does a really good job for mature skin?

I have looked at Tuscany, but their prices are way and far above all the other Spa's, so I have ruled them out.

Any others? Has anyone tried Ulta - their prices are probably the best I have found, but would you recommend them? I am interested in The Salt Room, has anyone used them?

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-10-2016, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Merle Norman in Colony Plaza offers a number of different facials.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
....It was the story of "Me Before You" and I had not seen the movie so I was entranced with the story, so much so that I bought the sequel to it, "After You" ....... author Jojo Moyes. Absolutely could not put it down, and I guess she is going to write the third and make it a trilogy. Now I have to read the rest of her books.
I was told by a friend to read "Me Before You" and I liked the book. I didn't know there was a sequel, thanks for that info. I usually don't enjoy movies if I've read the book first. Perhaps because they leave out details, not sure.

I just read two books by S.J. Watson, "Second Life" and "Before I Sleep". I wouldn't call them chick lit, but I loved both books. Easy reads, but VERY suspenseful. I didn't even guess the ending until the last few pages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
The owner of Urban Hair Studio on 466, Samanta. She is a master hair stylist, does excellent work.
Samantha is a good hair cutter. Word of warning -- she sometimes runs behind so there may be a wait.
Quote:
Has anyone tried Ulta - their prices are probably the best I have found, but would you recommend them? I am interested in The Salt Room, has anyone used them?
I've always been intrigued by The Salt Room. I think they also offer massages. Please let us know if you use them.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:12 AM
Sage
Default Books continued

On the subject of books, has anyone read Joan Anderson's books, they are all based on being married for many years and whether or not you should give in and have a mid-life crisis?

I started with "A Year by the Sea", followed that with "An Unfinished Marriage" (which I thought was excellent), then I read "A Walk on the Beach" (just OK) and I am now reading The Second Journey - The Road back to Yourself". These are books written specifically for middle aged women.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
On the subject of books, has anyone read Joan Anderson's books, they are all based on being married for many years and whether or not you should give in and have a mid-life crisis?
I started with "A Year by the Sea", followed that with "An Unfinished Marriage" (which I thought was excellent), then I read "A Walk on the Beach" (just OK) and I am now reading The Second Journey - The Road back to Yourself". These are books written specifically for middle aged women.
I have read "A Year By the Sea" and "An Unfinished Marriage".
It's too late for me to have a mid-life crisis - that ship sailed for me years ago.
And yes, I had a series of mid-life crises back in the day. I'm so glad that time of confusion is over.
The lesson I learned "The grass is not necessarily greener on the other side of the fence".
Old 09-20-2016, 07:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I have read "A Year By the Sea" and "An Unfinished Marriage".
It's too late for me to have a mid-life crisis - that ship sailed for me years ago.
And yes, I had a series of mid-life crises back in the day. I'm so glad that time of confusion is over.
The lesson I learned "The grass is not necessarily greener on the other side of the fence".
Bare: I just finished Joan Anderson's "A Second Journey", as far as I was concerned it was a journey she should not have bothered to take. The only one I really enjoyed was An Unfinished Marriage, after that it was all down hill!

Mid-Life Crises ........... never had time for that. I was working more hours than I should have been, with a husband who was traveling all over the world on business so when he got home it was like a "honeymoon" and then he was off again leaving me with the two children, two homes, a dog and a job - phew!

Today, Sept 21, 2016 - S.J. Watson, "Second Life" and "Before I Sleep"

On your recommendation, I just got these two books at the library. Could not put down "before I sleep", really really creepy. It reminded me a little of a Julia Robert's movie I saw sometime ago called Sleeping With the Enemy, it kept me on the edge of my seat for the whole movie. Now I cannot wait to read your other book by Watson called Second Life.

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 09-21-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:50 AM

Ladies, suggestions on adjusting to moving away from friends and family? We are in OO (TV family community) just my husband and I, we are in late 40's, no kids at home and both retired.

Last edited by Jakesmom208; 11-03-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonga View Post
Ladies, perhaps some of you may be interested in a group I started. We get together once a month for lunch and to meet new friends. We are called The Womans Do Nothing group mainly because that's what we do!!!!! We meet at The Waterfront Inn. Next month will be on September 2, 2016. You do not have to live in The Villages. No dues. You just pay for your own lunch. We have married woman, single woman, widows, and anyone else who wishes to have a good laugh!!!! Looking forward to hearing from you. Sharon
Hi Sharon, can you tell me when the next meeting is? We moved from Michigan in July and feeling pretty lonely leaving friends and family back home. Also, is your group a pretty good mix of ages? Thanks so much!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.