Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2019, 08:31 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I nominate Vanity Fair from Amazon Prime for the best binge since Downton Abbey.

I think many of you will consider Vanity Fair to be binge-worthy. (I am not finished with it yet, up to the 3rd episode and trying hard to wait until tonight to turn on the television. But I know I can recommend it without hesitation.)
I watched all 7 episodes yesterday. Thank you for the recommendation (I think) LOL.

The sets, costumes and overall filming were spectacular and the story was engrossing. Loved the opening line, "Vanity Fair, a world where everyone is striving for what is not worth having". Now to get something done today.

Last edited by BK001; 01-02-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:58 PM
Sage

I was told by a friend that the new season of Grace and Frankie is available on Netflix on Friday.
I'm a big fan --- talk about aging well!

I tried watching Mrs. Maisel on Amazon Prime, but I couldn't get into it.
I liked Homecoming better, but it's weird. I haven't watched all the episodes yet.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:02 PM
Sage

Anyone have body sculpting?
If you don't want to talk about it on this thread, please send me a private message.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:46 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I was told by a friend that the new season of Grace and Frankie is available on Netflix on Friday.
I'm a big fan --- talk about aging well!

I tried watching Mrs. Maisel on Amazon Prime, but I couldn't get into it.
I liked Homecoming better, but it's weird. I haven't watched all the episodes yet.
I have not started the new season of Grace and Frankie yet but plan to soon.

Homecoming is weird but uncomfortably believable. The cynic in me guessed exactly what they were up to early on.

Loved Mrs. Maisel and her clothes.

Shameless confession: I have a shameless addiction to Shameless. Sometimes it is so raunchy it makes me cringe, and I thought the writing was getting a little lazy last season, but I can't resist wanting to check in to see how the Gallaghers are doing. William Macy, as Frank, is a terrible person, but fun to watch.

I think it is back on Showtime now, but we don't have Showtime. Might have to get it. Shameless brings out the prude in me sometimes but that does not stop me. (sigh) I guess that makes me shameless.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Shameless confession: I have a shameless addiction to Shameless. Sometimes it is so raunchy it makes me cringe, and I thought the writing was getting a little lazy last season, but I can't resist wanting to check in to see how the Gallaghers are doing. William Macy, as Frank, is a terrible person, but fun to watch.
Is Shameless on Netflix or Amazon Prime?
I want to watch a couple of episodes and perhaps I'll get hooked also.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Anyone have body sculpting?
If you don't want to talk about it on this thread, please send me a private message.
I've had one PM but she had it recently done so she hasn't seen the benefit YET.
Anyone else have it done in the past? If so, please send me a PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:13 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Is Shameless on Netflix or Amazon Prime?
I want to watch a couple of episodes and perhaps I'll get hooked also.

I think the old seasons are on Netflix.

I liked the earlier seasons better than the last one. But I will probably shamelessly, eventually subscribe to Showtime for a while to get the season that just started.

If you go to TOTV's Search and type in the word Shameless and ask it to search Threads Only, you will find 2 old threads that talk about the show. -- I had never heard of the show before reading about it here. -- Yes. (sigh) It was the OPs who started those threads who led me down the Shameless path. (blush)
Old 02-10-2019, 05:57 PM
Soaring Parsley

"Wild Oats" is a movie I just found on Netflix. It has Shirley MacLaine and Jessica Lang and that guy who was Dr. Johnny Fever on WKRP whose real name escapes me right now.

It is a sweet, light movie about people in later life.

The plot is unrealistic, but I did not care. It kept me amused for an hour and a half -- a bowl of popcorn, and a little red wine -- the perfect movie length for me. Some funny dialogue and some relatable moments.

It is a movie like "Boynton Beach Club" and "Quartet."

I thought maybe some of you might like this movie, too.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
"Wild Oats" is a movie I just found on Netflix. It has Shirley MacLaine and Jessica Lang and that guy who was Dr. Johnny Fever on WKRP whose real name escapes me right now. It is a sweet, light movie about people in later life.
Thanks Boomer - I've made a note to watch Wild Oats.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:05 PM
Soaring Parsley

Oh my! I just got a J. Peterman catalog and I can’t stop reading that hilariously over-the-top prose that is their trademark copy.

Remember, that was the guy parodied on Seinfeld. He was Elaine’s boss and he talked just like the catalog copy. Tickled the heck outa me.

I have never bought anything from J. Peterman. But I think I just might do that.

Has anyone here ever bought from J. Peterman?

If so, how is the quality and how are the sizes?

Is a 12 a 12 or is it a 16 or a 10?

(You know how it goes with sizes. Every clothing manufacturer does its thing — and then there is Chico’s — where you have to break their code. For years I was afraid to try anything on in Chico’s, fled the scene quickly, because I thought Chico’s was for sizes 1 and 2 only. I always thought that was a dumb marketing scheme but I guess it works for them.)

As far as quality goes, when I was still working, Coldwater Creek was my go to and then something changed with them and their fabrics and soon the stores went away. I still cannot part with some of my old Coldwater Creek jackets.

Anyway, anybody? Any advice on J. Peterman?

Last edited by Boomer; 02-26-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

A question for knitters: Do any dry cleaners in the area block knitted items? I was given a beautiful hand-knitted scarf, but it is not blocked and basically rolls into a long tube. Years ago you could have knits blocked at the cleaner's.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:19 PM

Love the topics! Thanks for starting this. We're still in VA; moving to TV next week, DeSoto! Can barely wait. I envision living in sandals and therefore want pedicures. Need recommendations for pedicure, hopefully south of 466A. Thanks, ladies. : )
Old 04-27-2019, 08:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinva View Post
Love the topics! Thanks for starting this. We're still in VA; moving to TV next week, DeSoto! Can barely wait. I envision living in sandals and therefore want pedicures. Need recommendations for pedicure, hopefully south of 466A. Thanks, ladies. : )
Chrisinva, welcome to The Villages. I think there is a new Angela's in the vicinity of Brownwood south of CR 466A. There is an existing Angela's in Buffalo Ridge Plaza across from Southern Trace on CR 466 and CR 101. I live mid-Villages, so it's the one I prefer. It's golf cart accessible and offers good prices and a quiet ambiance.

Boomer, I don't know about J. Peterman's products. However if it's not made in China (and everything seems to be made in China these days), I find the sizes are fairly consistent. I also find Chico's sizes confusing.

CFrance, knitting is definitely out of my league.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Chrisinva, welcome to The Villages. I think there is a new Angela's in the vicinity of Brownwood south of CR 466A. There is an existing Angela's in Buffalo Ridge Plaza across from Southern Trace on CR 466 and CR 101. I live mid-Villages, so it's the one I prefer. It's golf cart accessible and offers good prices and a quiet ambiance.

Boomer, I don't know about J. Peterman's products. However if it's not made in China (and everything seems to be made in China these days), I find the sizes are fairly consistent. I also find Chico's sizes confusing.

CFrance, knitting is definitely out of my league.
I think the new Angela's is in Trailwinds.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-27-2019, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Oh my! I just got a J. Peterman catalog and I can’t stop reading that hilariously over-the-top prose that is their trademark copy.

Remember, that was the guy parodied on Seinfeld. He was Elaine’s boss and he talked just like the catalog copy. Tickled the heck outa me.

I have never bought anything from J. Peterman. But I think I just might do that.

Has anyone here ever bought from J. Peterman?

If so, how is the quality and how are the sizes?

Is a 12 a 12 or is it a 16 or a 10?

(You know how it goes with sizes. Every clothing manufacturer does its thing — and then there is Chico’s — where you have to break their code. For years I was afraid to try anything on in Chico’s, fled the scene quickly, because I thought Chico’s was for sizes 1 and 2 only. I always thought that was a dumb marketing scheme but I guess it works for them.)

As far as quality goes, when I was still working, Coldwater Creek was my go to and then something changed with them and their fabrics and soon the stores went away. I still cannot part with some of my old Coldwater Creek jackets.

Anyway, anybody? Any advice on J. Peterman?
Hey Boomer, I have never heard of J. Peterman's, but I just looked at their catalog and some of their dresses look really interesting. Did you see the 1927 Beaded flapper dress # 2924.

As for Chico's - weird sizing. But, I had a great experience in there ... I was hunting through the racks and this lovely lady came up and said "There is nothing in here that would fit you dear, this is a fat ladies store" She obviously needed her eyes checked, but did I feel good for just a short while.

My go to store is Anne Taylor. I LOVE her stuff, and their sales are incredible. Right now she is unloading last year's dresses for about $30 to $40.

I also like the clothing in Soft Surroundings, under Katie Belles, but you have to be 8ft tall and built like a string bean to wear their styles. I used to really like Talbots, my go to place for business clothes when I was working, but they are quite awful now. My husband calls them Tall Butts ..... He's a prince

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.