Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2019, 08:19 AM

Looking for a hairstylist to help me transition to gray.
Any recommendations?
Old 12-01-2019, 03:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmamma View Post
Looking for a hairstylist to help me transition to gray. Any recommendations?
I like Urban Hair in Oxford, by Bargains & Treasures.
All the stylists are very good. I recommend Denise or Sam.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:56 AM
Default Denise B. from Urban Hair is now at Beauty First (352) 748-3300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Denise Bellemeur, formerly at Urban Hair, is now at Beauty First in the plaza in front of Lowe's on 466-A.

Denise is the most skilled and perceptive (to YOUR goals) that I've ever had in 6 salons/8 stylists here and 5 states in which we've lived.

She specializes in European color techniques and she made my transition into my natural white/grey hair very easy and almost unnoticeable, using foil streaks of lighter/lightening shades of color and bleaching.

Beauty First is newly opened/run by Kevin who was at Cal's, and this salon's ambience is both professional and peaceful.

Be sure to ask for Denise *Bellemeur*, as there are two Denises working at Beauty First.

(352) 748-3300
Beauty First Ste 107, Wildwood | FL 34785

Old 12-02-2019, 12:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Unfortunately, Sam (Samanta, the owner) is not taking on new clients.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonitaB443162 View Post
Denise Bellemeur, formerly at Urban Hair, is now at Beauty First in the plaza in front of Lowe's on 466-A.
Denise is the most skilled and perceptive (to YOUR goals) that I've ever had in 6 salons/8 stylists here and 5 states in which we've lived.
She specializes in European color techniques and she made my transition into my natural white/grey hair very easy and almost unnoticeable, using foil streaks of lighter/lightening shades of color and bleaching.
Beauty First is newly opened/run by Kevin who was at Cal's, and this salon's ambience is both professional and peaceful.
Be sure to ask for Denise *Bellemeur*, as there are two Denises working at Beauty First.
(352) 748-3300
Beauty First Ste 107, Wildwood | FL 34785
I had NO IDEA that Denise Bellemeur moved from Urban Hair.
Thanks very much for that great information, and the telephone number for Beauty First.

Last edited by Barefoot; 12-21-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:21 AM
Default Hair stylist

Went to Denise Bellameur at Beauty First.
She did an absolute amazing job at transitioning my mostly brown hair to gray.
Denise will take time to explain the process and do what is best for your hair. Can’t sing her praises enough. 5 stars!
Old 12-15-2019, 11:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmamma View Post
Went to Denise Bellameur at Beauty First.
She did an absolute amazing job at transitioning my mostly brown hair to gray.
Denise will take time to explain the process and do what is best for your hair. Can’t sing her praises enough. 5 stars!
I'm glad you liked Denise Bellemeur.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:10 AM
Sage

CHEF'S KNIVES SHARPENED... I don't know where else to put this, so sorry if it's sexist to put it in the girl talk forum. My chef's knives needed sharpening badly. My husband went online and found knifeaid.com. For $49 they will sharpen four knives. They send you a mailer with complete instructions for packaging your knives. It includes heavy cardboard sheathes to put your individual knives in, and a very heavy cardboard envelope. I mean heavy. You take this to the post office or Fed Ex or whoever accepts postage-paid packages. There's a tracking number provided, plus they email you when they receive the knives. Complete turnaround--you get your knives back in one week. They email you with another tracking number when they send the knives.

My knives are wonderfully sharp, and I'm very pleased with the service.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
CHEF'S KNIVES SHARPENED... I don't know where else to put this, so sorry if it's sexist to put it in the girl talk forum. My chef's knives needed sharpening badly. My husband went online and found knifeaid.com. For $49 they will sharpen four knives. They send you a mailer with complete instructions for packaging your knives. It includes heavy cardboard sheathes to put your individual knives in, and a very heavy cardboard envelope. I mean heavy. You take this to the post office or Fed Ex or whoever accepts postage-paid packages. There's a tracking number provided, plus they email you when they receive the knives. Complete turnaround--you get your knives back in one week. They email you with another tracking number when they send the knives. My knives are wonderfully sharp, and I'm very pleased with the service.
I thought you were going to say that you never received your knives back.
I'm not sure why you put it in Girl Talk and not on the main Forum.
I know your husband doesn't like to cook and you do.
But some men actually like to cook, and could use your helpful hint.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
I thought you were going to say that you never received your knives back.
I'm not sure why you put it in Girl Talk and not on the main Forum.
I know your husband doesn't like to cook and you do.
But some men actually like to cook, and could use your helpful hint.
I put it here for you 'cause I know how much you love to cook!!!
Old 02-07-2020, 10:18 AM
Sage

I have a hair stylist now that I like.
Her name is Chandler and she is at Salon Jaylee in the Southern Trace Plaza which is golf-cart accessible.
352-259-6700.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:23 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts
Default A history lesson

This thread was started by Barefoot in February of 2008. The first post explains the reason it began.

The very first topic of discussion was hair color. Throughout more than a decade that topic has continued to show up here in our Girl Talk thread.

Before now, we always had a choice of whether we were ready to give in to gray or white hair. Now, here we are, with the decision being made for us — for now, at least.

So how is everybody doing?

Me? Oh my. My hair grows fast. I get (got) my roots done every month. Not a haircut each time but oh those roots, those roots had to be done.

But now I have a white star on top of my head — kind of reminds me of “My Friend Flicka.” And to heap insult upon injury, my haircut is growing out and making me look like that kid on the Dutch Boy paint can.

Then there are my eyebrows — starting to look like John L. Lewis. (You can find his picture on Google. Worst eyebrows ever.) Yes. I can trim them myself but they are coming in white and I cannot do anything about that.

I always admire friends who have made the leap and have gorgeous white or gray hair. But it is the getting from Point A to Point Z that has always seemed too hard, though I have (had) been having more platinum highlights threaded in, trying to see where that would take me.

Oh well, this is certainly the least of worries right now. I will just stay in my house and not look in the mirror.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
This thread was started by Barefoot in February of 2008. The first post explains the reason it began.

The very first topic of discussion was hair color. Throughout more than a decade that topic has continued to show up here in our Girl Talk thread.

Before now, we always had a choice of whether we were ready to give in to gray or white hair. Now, here we are, with the decision being made for us — for now, at least.

Me? Oh my. My hair grows fast. I get (got) my roots done every month. Not a haircut each time but oh those roots, those roots had to be done.

But now I have a white star on top of my head — kind of reminds me of “My Friend Flicka.” And to heap insult upon injury, my haircut is growing out and making me look like that kid on the Dutch Boy paint can.

Then there are my eyebrows — starting to look like John L. Lewis. (You can find his picture on Google. Worst eyebrows ever.) Yes. I can trim them myself but they are coming in white and I cannot do anything about that.

I always admire friends who have made the leap and have gorgeous white or gray hair. But it is the getting from Point A to Point Z that has always seemed too hard, though I have (had) been having more platinum highlights threaded in, trying to see where that would take me.

Oh well, this is certainly the least of worries right now. I will just stay in my house and not look in the mirror.
Boomer: Eyebrows: The best: Brow Gel - PureBrow™ Mineral Eyebrow Gel | jane iredale

My d-in-law gave me the clear to just keep the stray hairs in place, but the eye brow fairy has piled a load of long white hairs on my dark eye brows and this woman makes a great gel for covering the white hair. Nice line of skin care too. Great mascara.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-29-2020, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,951 Times in 1,706 Posts

A long long time ago I trusted my hairdressers in my northern city to color my hair. Then one day they fried my hair and I asked them for no ammonia from that time on. Well, they had their own formula etc etc. Since then I’ve colored my own hair in the bath tub using Natural Instincts no ammonia. This is for 20 plus years now. The color I use changes every few years to something a bit lighter every now and then.

Boomer, there is a powder spray for roots you can use L’Oréal Magic Root cover up - the dark blond has enough color the lighter blonds do not. A bit of spray and spread around with fingers - no white spots and you get a bit of hair volume too. Amazon has it etc. does not leave marks on pillow cases and stays on a week or so if you don’t wash it off.

Ever watch Young and the Restless? How do you suppose Nicky Newman (at her age) always has dark roots on the show.

Last edited by Velvet; 03-29-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Some people just don't have the skin tone for gray hair. My mother was one. My good friend in Michigan, the ceramicist, is another one, although she has decided to ignore that fact. I am yet another one. I would grab a paintbrush and go after my roots with brown paint before I would let my hair go gray.

I think I can go six weeks before becoming critical. My last root job was March 18. Fingers crossed!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.