Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 11-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Do you know about the web site PaulaYoung.com?....(I think).I bought several wigs from Paula Young on line, not expensive and not bad. (After looking like Mr. Clean without them a few years back. I would wear hoop earrings around the house with my orange skin from adriamicin(sp?) and my bald noggin and my family would tease me...) The wigs are hot. Some are more "airy" than others.

Glad to be here. Glad my hair has returned from vacation. This is so much fun. So fun to talk about anything.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-05-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

GG,

I bought a clip-on hair piece from Paula Young and it is really nice. Problem? My hair is so fine (when it's humid), that the clip doesn't stay in my hair. It works fine when there is no humidity.

Ronda & Susan, lunch sounds great!

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 11-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Gold member

See, that is what I think will happen to me Shirlee. I'll walk out on the dance floor with a full head of well coiffed hair and minutes later return a wet cat that got caught in a lawn mower.

Lunch for all of us who are trying to hold on to "remember when".
Old 11-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Susan View Post
See, that is what I think will happen to me Shirlee. I'll walk out on the dance floor with a full head of well coiffed hair and minutes later return a wet cat that got caught in a lawn mower.

Lunch for all of us who are trying to hold on to "remember when".
Almost everyone gets all sweaty and a bit bedraggled except that danged Rhonda. I believe she is a droid. She is always lookin' great out there, a boppin' and a groovin'. If I didn't like her so much....................
Old 11-05-2008, 03:24 PM
Sage

Susan, wet cat caught in a lawn mower, very descriptive.

I find that the longer I'm in TV, the less concerned I am about having my hair look good! I highly recommend baseball caps and golf visors .. I always use them for bad hair days.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Gold member

Brown paper bags work well too, or so I have heard!
Old 11-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Susan View Post
Brown paper bags work well too, or so I have heard!

They're especially good if you haven't had enough sleep and want to hide the dark circles. Multi purpose.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Gold member

...and when it is dark enough, that no one can see you, you can use the paper bag to carry your stuff home from the Square. Very versatile.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Sage
Default Smooth Away

There is a product advertised on television for hair removal called Smooth Away.
www.getsmoothaway.com
It looks like a good product and I'm planning to order it. Just wondering if any girls out there have tried it?

P.S. I'm still loving my gel nails.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Sage
Talking Nailed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
There is a product advertised on television for hair removal called Smooth Away.
www.getsmoothaway.com
It looks like a good product and I'm planning to order it. Just wondering if any girls out there have tried it?

P.S. I'm still loving my gel nails.
Hahaha! You're getting a lot of traction out of those nails, GF!

I have not tried getsmoothaway, but I love, LOVE, my Pedegg. I think that's what it's called. Hope I'm not naming a sex toy of any kind?
Old 11-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
BAD, Barefoot, BAD, BAD, BAD...

I will try to resist this thread.

But you know that - like my screen name says - I will, in fact, be back.

OK. I must confess. One of my biggest fears about living in TV for long periods of time is that I will have to leave my hairdresser. She is one heck of a chemist. She is so good that people are surprised that it is a dye job. The problem is that parts of my hair are snow white (prematurely, of course) and she can make all that go away. But she has to use Wella, in addition to another step or two in the process. Nobody in TV uses Wella. At least, I could not find a place when I was there.

Well, that didn't take long did it?
I'm a hairdresser and I use Wella, you can get it at Sally's.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Sage

I'm still looking for information on "Smoothaway". I just know someone out there has watched the infomercial on television and fallen under its spell.

Also, the motorized nail cutters for pets they've been advertising, anyone tried those?

And don't tell me I'm watching too much television. I know that already. I never thought I'd be a little old grey-haired lady watching commercials and ordering stuff over the internet.

Well, I guess I'm a little old dark-haired lady (thanks to Wella) with lovely gel nails watching commercials.

Chels, what is a Pedegg? It sounds slightly obscene. And yes, I'm getting a lot of mileage out of my new nails.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Gold member

Haven't tried Smoothaway never saw the infomercial til just now on line. I think it sounds like sandpaper or a nail file on a pad. Not so sure about that. Is it exfoilation or a good saning that you would get in addition to the hair removal. Skin is more delicate as we age...I don't know...

I use an Epilady http://www.epilady.com/ Have for years. Same results as those claimed for the Smoothaway. Plus no refills to buy.

Now if you still want to try it, I wonder if they might have a booth at the Marion County Markets for TV infomercial items. They do at the Flea Market in Ft. Myers.

Let me know.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Well, I guess I'm a little old dark-haired lady (thanks to Wella) with lovely gel nails watching commercials.:
Hi Barefoot,

Wella, huh.

Wella Rulz!!!!!!

It is absolutely the only thing that will cover my white hair. Anything else gives it a lovely pink tone because the white is so resistant. I have been springing for Wella for years. When my hair turned pink, or was it mahogany, I broke up with my hairdresser and whatever the heck she used on me. It was in that stage where you need to leave semi-permanent color for permanent color. She kept trying to fix it, but I ran away finally. I hated to do that. I liked her very much as a person, but she failed me as a hairdresser. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, you know.

In fact, Barefoot, I think Wella was one of the very first discussions we ever had in the Girl Talk thread when it started months ago.

For me, it's Wella of a certain kind (the name looks like the word 'cholesterol' but I can't remember what it is) and some highlights and a Goldwell clear over all of it and I can look like my hair is not a dye-job.

Of course, it costs me a blue fortune, and my hair grows so fast, I am there all the time. Maybe I should just go with blue hair instead of spending a blue fortune every month.

It sure is a pain to try to look like you have done absolutely nothing to your hair.

I think maybe I need to get over it. But that transition period is so hard to go through. I will probably be an old, old, old lady, shriveled up beyond recognition, but still thinking my hair looks so naturally young. (I am so pathetic sometimes. Oh well, at least I know that about myself.)

I got an email the other day from a friend who is making the changeover. And guess what. -- I am supposed to tell her if it looks like Like I'm going to do that. Uh huh. One time I had somebody ask me to let her know if her black, black dye-job started to look like shoe polish. Oh Barefoot, I just cannot tell all these people the truth. Even if they ask me to. They would not speak to me ever again. That's just the way Girl Talk works sometimes.

So anyway, there I went again, singing the praises of Wella. But once you have been saved from pink, or was it mahogany hair, you are eternally grateful to that which rescued you.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 11-11-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Sage

Bad news for dark hair dye users. Good medical research has recently concluded that dark hair color is indeed a carcinogen and the occurence of lymphoma is increased by 28% in those woman who have used dark dyes since 1981. Helene colors her hair and we just discussed yesterday her going blonde.

When she came off chemo the oncologist said to NOT dye her hair for two years after and I was so frightened I didn't ask any questions. Now I am concerned again.

Has anyone else read that paper? It was published recently.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/578427

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-11-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.