Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Default to color or not to color

I think I am going to enjoy reading your posts. Just this morning I saw my mother in the bathroom mirror and thought it's time to color the hair again.

I hid my bathroom scale way in the back of the closet before Christmas so I could enjoy the butter cookies and fruit cakes. Pulled it out this morning and I didnt gain a thing! So maybe all the bending and stretching and putting decorations up and taking them down did some good. But what I am not revealing is just how much overweight I am. Tomorrow tomorrow I will diet and get on the exercise bike. Tomorrow i will go to the pool. Maybe.

Have you tried online researching on line whether you could oder the Wella product you like? Seems like you can do anything on line now.

Beautiful day in Louisiana but wishing I were in TV.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
Bare, I have a Roomba. It has good points and bad points. First, though, you should know that it is not a vacuum cleaner. It's more like a carpet sweeper. It has a brush that sweeps lint and debis into a little cup, but it doesn't vacuum. It works better on floors than it does on carpets. I have a huge kitchen floor in Utah, and it's wonderful for the kitchen and back hallway. It tends to get stuck on throw rugs, so you have to pick them up before you use it. You also have to make sure your electrical cords for lamps and computers are off the floor, or it can pull the lamp down. When it bumps into something it turns around and goes in another direction. If you have fragile vases and pots on the floor you should protect them. It's a lot louder than I expected it would be. I thought I could turn it on and go to bed and get up to a sparkling clean house. Believe me, you can't sleep while it's working. Rrrrrmmmmmmm, bang, bang, rrrrrrrmmmmmm, bang, bang bang.....

On the other hand, after you have removed your throw rugs, the kitty dishes, looped your computer cord over the chair, lifted your lamp cords off the floor, and moved your bar stools to another room, it works all by itself while you're taking a shower, and it really does go back to the charger and plug itself in.
UUJudy, thanks for all the great comments. Your post was very descriptive and your comments about the noise the Roomba makes .. very funny.

The Roomba website has about ten different models listed, and a couple of the robots are (supposedly) for pet hair. I'm wondering what model you have. Also, the website said Roombas are programmed to avoid cords, etc. But I didn't believe it.

I'm not sure there is a Roomba in my future after all.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
UUJudy, thanks for all the great comments. Your post was very descriptive and your comments about the noise the Roomba makes .. very funny.

The Roomba website has about ten different models listed, and a couple of the robots are (supposedly) for pet hair. I'm wondering what model you have. Also, the website said Roombas are programmed to avoid cords, etc. But I didn't believe it.

I'm not sure there is a Roomba in my future after all.
I'm not sure what model I have (I left it in Utah). It's about 2 years old, and the battery needs to be replaced. I wondered about buying a new battery ($75) or just getting a new, improved Roomba. The Roomba is programmed to avoid stairs, but I don't know how it would avoid cords. Because it will go underneath furniture and into hidden areas (sofa, tables with tablecloths to the floor) I am very careful about getting the lamp cords out of its way. It came with an accessory to keep it from going into another room, but I never installed it -- I put a barstool blockade in the doorway.

The Roomba has a little spinner brush that sweeps the pet hair out of corners and into its path so the hair can get swept up. Maybe the new pet hair models have a larger spinner or a larger debris container? My container can get filled with cat hair before it's finished sweeping the kitchen. (Gosh, I sound like a slob! I really do try to keep the kitchen floor swept! It's a BIG kitchen. The spinner will pull out things that are just underneath the grill on the refrigerator where cat hair and stray bits of cat chow often hide).

As I said, the Roomba has good points and bad points. It works great on bare floors. If you plan to use it mainly on hard floors, you'll be satisfied with the job it does. It can work on carpet, but it has to work harder so the battery charge doesn't last as long. And since it's not a vacuum it doesn't pull dirt out of the carpet -- it just sweeps lint and crumbs (and cat hair) off the surface of the carpet.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 03-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Sage

I just discovered hair coloring that only takes ten minutes. Called "Perfect10". Life just gets better and better.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Sage

Bare, I tried Perfect 10 and I think it only lasted 10 days before the gray came thru. That must be what they meant by perfect 10!!!

I hope you have better luck then I did.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Sage
Arrow Awwwww...

Nonie and Bare! My two girls are perfect 10's anyway! Love you both, chels

Wow, bet you didn't expect that!
Old 03-12-2009, 11:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nONIE View Post
Bare, I tried Perfect 10 and I think it only lasted 10 days before the gray came thru.

I don't have any gray, of course, so I won't have that problem. Haha.

So what is a good type of hair coloring to use? Nonie, weren't you recommending a men's hair color product? I would go to a salon, but it takes too long. Beauticians always say that nothing bought in a drug store works properly. Any recommendations appreciated!

I love hearing about new cosmetics and hair products.

Also, my allergies are really acting up .. what is a good allergy pill?
Old 03-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Eternal Member

I color my hair myself every six weeks and have been doing so for years - for about $6. I buy the color ($4.60) and the developer
(a $6 bottle lasts for about 10 applications) at Sally's.
I was lucky enough to have a stylist tell me what color and developer to buy.

Mix the color and developer, apply to dry hair for 30 minutes, shampoo and that's it. Piece of cake. I just go to a stylist to have my hair cut.
I have never had a problem.
Of course, if you highlight, I don't know how that would work.

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:14 AM
Sage

Islandgal,

I have tried that too! Can you tell me what brand color you used? I think because my hair is brown, the cgray shows up much faster, but I wish I could find a color that lasts 6 weeks! Especially in this Florida sun which makes it fade much faster.
Of course soon I will be back in the cold dark North and my color wont fade out as fast. What a trade off!

Old 03-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I don't have any gray, of course, so I won't have that problem. Haha.

So what is a good type of hair coloring to use? Nonie, weren't you recommending a men's hair color product? I would go to a salon, but it takes too long. Beauticians always say that nothing bought in a drug store works properly. Any recommendations appreciated!

I love hearing about new cosmetics and hair products.

Also, my allergies are really acting up .. what is a good allergy pill?
Barefootie,

I color Helene's hair and I use Nice and Easy (Permanent) that says, "really covers the gray" on the front.

If you drink three glasses of Chivas Regal on the rocks, you will find that your allergies will not bother you. In fact nothing will bother you.

(I had to stop that and now take Claritin)
Old 03-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Barefootie,

I color Helene's hair and I use Nice and Easy (Permanent) that says, "really covers the gray" on the front.

If you drink three glasses of Chivas Regal on the rocks, you will find that your allergies will not bother you. In fact nothing will bother you.

(I had to stop that and now take Claritin)
GG, a woman after my own heart... nothing better than Chivas!!!
You all may want to try a shampoo that's specially formulated to enhance the color in between colorings. There's many of them out in the market, I like some of the Redken ones (all Redken products are the best, btw -- since I used to work there!!) The best OTC hair colors are Clairol (for reds) and L'Oreal for lasting ability. But they are getting more and more expensive.

I tried the highlighting kits and they worked good but I love the way my colorist foils my hair. She's really creative and its worth the expense for me. I love pampering myself every once in a while.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 03-14-2009, 06:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Barefootie,

I color Helene's hair and I use Nice and Easy (Permanent) that says, "really covers the gray" on the front. If you drink three glasses of Chivas Regal on the rocks, you will find that your allergies will not bother you. In fact nothing will bother you.
OK GG, Nice and Easy hair coloring plus three glasses of Chivas Regal!
I think I can handle that. And I really won't care how it turns out. Wiw, what and where is Sallys?

Has anyone found a product that takes away wrinkles and make you look 20years younger? They all claim to do that! And they use models like Diane Keaton to prove it. Of course she is airbrushed and photographed with complimentary lighting. I bought one of the makeup products that Keaton advertises and it was so greasy I had to throw it away.

I think Sally Fields (on Brothers and Sisters on Sunday nights) looks so great for 64.

Oh, and has anyone discovered a product that actually takes away your appetite? Now that would be a money maker! (I think it is called will power, but I've never actually had any of it).
Old 03-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Sage

Bare,

Sally's is next door - just north of Walmart on 44l. There is a small plaza there with a Dollar Tree and Game stop. That is the only Sally's I know of near The Villages.

Sally's is a beauty supply store that sells many products that you cant find at drug stores. They have a large variety of professional hair products and other stuff.

Last edited by nONIE; 03-14-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Sage

I decided to experiment and use the kids at the Salon Professional Hair Academy (teaching facility) for a hair color. Very inexpensive. Wish me luck.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Sage
Arrow Meow...

Quote:
I decided to experiment and use the kids at the Salon Professional Hair Academy (teaching facility) for a hair color. Very inexpensive. Wish me luck.
Good Luck Bare! You'll be bald, but at least you'll have pretty nails! Hahaha!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.