Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Veteran member
Talking The Memorial Stone

Sam died. His will provided $30,000 for an elaborate funeral. As the
last guests departed the affair, his wife Sarah turned to her oldest
and dearest friend. "Well, I'm sure Sam would be pleased," she said.

"I'm sure you're right," replied Jody, who lowered her voice and leaned
in close. "How much did this really cost?"

"All of it," said Sarah. "Thirty thousand."

"No!" Jody exclaimed. "I mean, it was very nice, but $30,000?"

Sarah answered, "The funeral was $6,500. I donated $500 to the
synagogue. The whisky, wine and snacks were another $500. The rest
went for the Memorial Stone."

Jody computed quickly. "$22,500 for a Memorial Stone? My God, how big
is it?"

"Two and a half carats."
Old 03-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I decided to experiment and use the kids at the Salon Professional Hair Academy (teaching facility) for a hair color. Very inexpensive. Wish me luck.
Bare, we're dying to know! (dyeing? lol) How did your hair color adventure turn out? What did you have done? What did you ask them to do? Did your hair turn out the way you hoped it would? Do you have any photos you can share? Was it really inexpensive? Inquiring minds want to know.

The last time I had my hair colored I asked for subtle highlights. I hoped for thin little SUBTLE highlights all over sort of like you used to get with a "frosting cap." Remember those? They were like shower caps with tiny holes all over and the stylist pulled your hair through with something like a crochet hook? And remember how much it hurt? But the results were usually worth the pain, at least that's how I remember it. I tried to explain it to my young stylist, but she had never heard of a frosting cap. I didn't want her to USE one, but I wanted results like I used to get with it, so I kept repeating the words "subtle" and "highlights."

When she was finished my entire head was a strange, shimmery copper color (much like an astronaut's face mask) with bright white skunk stripes all over the top! WIDE skunk stripes. Yikes! I've been afraid to have it colored again. I don't know what to ask for. Apparently the definitions of subtle and highlights have changed over the years. Does anybody know what the new terminology is?
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 03-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
Bare, we're dying to know! (dyeing? lol) How did your hair color adventure turn out? What did you have done? What did you ask them to do? Did your hair turn out the way you hoped it would? Do you have any photos you can share? Was it really inexpensive? Inquiring minds want to know.

The last time I had my hair colored I asked for subtle highlights. I hoped for thin little SUBTLE highlights all over sort of like you used to get with a "frosting cap." Remember those? They were like shower caps with tiny holes all over and the stylist pulled your hair through with something like a crochet hook? And remember how much it hurt? But the results were usually worth the pain, at least that's how I remember it. I tried to explain it to my young stylist, but she had never heard of a frosting cap. I didn't want her to USE one, but I wanted results like I used to get with it, so I kept repeating the words "subtle" and "highlights."

When she was finished my entire head was a strange, shimmery copper color (much like an astronaut's face mask) with bright white skunk stripes all over the top! WIDE skunk stripes. Yikes! I've been afraid to have it colored again. I don't know what to ask for. Apparently the definitions of subtle and highlights have changed over the years. Does anybody know what the new terminology is?

Great Story UU Judy! At least you would stand out in a crowd!! I think most beauticians do "their own thing" regardless of what you request.

I have a sick dog that I can't leave; so I colored my hair at home and used Perfect 10, which only takes 10 minutes. Sadly, if I use a light brown colour my hair turns coal black. And then I'm forced to use my special trick. Put Head and Shoulders on your hair, cover with saran wrap, and it sucks the colour out of your hair.

Of course, then you're back to Square One. There are some downfalls to home coloring.

Next time I'm gonna try the Salon Academy. Apparently they only charge $20 for a hair colour.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Platinum member

Bare, thanks for the tip! If I had known your special trick I could have used it to suck the shimmery copper color out of my hair. I'll remember it for the next time! (And there's always a next time, isn't there? lol)

I saw on the Today Show that there's a new hair color in a pen. It has a fine point and you can use it to draw highlights on your hair. People are also using it to dye their eyebrows. It sounds great, but (of course) I didn't write down the name.

I'm so sorry your dog is sick. Hope he's feeling better soon.
Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Old 03-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Dancing Thyme

Bare, so sorry to hear about your dog. I hope everything turns out okay. If I can do anything, please let me know.

UU, there are over the counter hair coloring kits that do frosting. I used them a few times and they were great because you can put in as many highlights as you want and position them where you want. Its not hard and it lasts a while. I think the L'oreal or Clairol ones are the best. The new kids are trained only to use foils not the caps any more so they don't get the concept of less is better???

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 03-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post

I saw on the Today Show that there's a new hair color in a pen. It has a fine point and you can use it to draw highlights on your hair. People are also using it to dye their eyebrows. It sounds great, but (of course) I didn't write down the name.

I'm so sorry your dog is sick. Hope he's feeling better soon.
Hey UU Judy, If you find out more information about hair color in a pen, please let us know! Sounds like my cup of tea, fast and easy peasy.

My doggie is very sick, it is his time to cross the Rainbow Bridge. I'm just spending a few quiet days with him first. Thanks for your concern.

Kathie, thanks to you also. I know you're a fellow dog lover. It is a sad time, but part of pet ownership.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Eternal Member
Default Dog

Quote:
Hey UU Judy, If you find out more information about hair color in a pen, please let us know! Sounds like my cup of tea, fast and easy peasy.

My doggie is very sick, it is his time to cross the Rainbow Bridge. I'm just spending a few quiet days with him first. Thanks for your concern.

Kathie, thanks to you also. I know you're a fellow dog lover. It is a sad time, but part of pet ownership.
So sorry to hear about your dog. Which one is it? It is a part of being a pet owner but it never gets any easier, if anything, it gets harder. If you need anything just yell.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Barefoot,

I just wanted to say that I am so sorry to hear about your dog. My dog showed up at our back door 15 years ago. Her name is Annie because she was an orphan. But now she is a princess. And she has been a princess since Day 1 with us. But she is growing oh so old. I understand exactly what you are feeling. I know how hard this is for you. Please know that Annie and I send warm, kind thoughts out to you and yours.

Boomer
Old 03-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:

Bare, I am soooo sorry, I do know how hard this time is. Can I do anything for you? Do you want any company? I'm pretty good, I cry a lot but I can be good support. Let me know please. I'm here for you.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 03-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Sage
Default Owning a Dog

I really hadn't planned to talk about Brutus on TOTV. Or anywhere. It just happened. "Girl Talk" is the friendliest place on TOTV that I know. And you are all so kind with your comments. As dog owners, I know you understand completely what I'm experiencing.

It is so hard to make a decision when a dog's quality of life just isn't there any more. That is what I'm struggling with. I have to put on my big girl panties and make the right decision.

Brutus has a brain tumour and started having seizures on Sunday. He is on medication to control the seizures, but of course the brain tumour continues to grow. And the medication has some very nasty side effects. I have to face the fact that Brutus is not enjoying life any more.

But he is still eating and glad to see if I leave and return. Fireboy isn't back in The Villages for three weeks. Of course I want to keep Brutus alive. At times I can convince myself that it isn't time for Brutus to cross the Rainbow Bridge.

But I don't want to be selfish. It is all about whether Brutus can still get some enjoyment from life. I owe it to him to do the right thing. He depends on me. It is hard.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Sage

Bare,

you are such a kind compassionate person, and from my experience, not at all selfish. I know you will make the right decision when the time comes. You will know its time and so will Brutus. Sending you prayers for strength.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
I really hadn't planned to talk about Brutus on TOTV. Or anywhere. It just happened. "Girl Talk" is the friendliest place on TOTV that I know. And you are all so kind with your comments. As dog owners, I know you understand completely what I'm experiencing.

It is so hard to make a decision when a dog's quality of life just isn't there any more. That is what I'm struggling with. I have to put on my big girl panties and make the right decision.

Brutus has a brain tumour and started having seizures on Sunday. He is on medication to control the seizures, but of course the brain tumour continues to grow. And the medication has some very nasty side effects. I have to face the fact that Brutus is not enjoying life any more.

But he is still eating and glad to see if I leave and return. Fireboy isn't back in The Villages for three weeks. Of course I want to keep Brutus alive. At times I can convince myself that it isn't time for Brutus to cross the Rainbow Bridge.

But I don't want to be selfish. It is all about whether Brutus can still get some enjoyment from life. I owe it to him to do the right thing. He depends on me. It is hard.
Barefoot,

I am going to share something with you here that may help. But, up front, I must say to you that if you choose to listen to this, you will cry. I did. But it helped to clarify some things for me, and with the hope that it may help you, too, I am sending it along, as a cyberfriend.

First the backstory:

Yesterday, as I was driving home from the landscaper's place, I was listening to NPR like I always do in the car. The show was Fresh Air and the interview was with a veterinarian who has written a book called Speaking for Spot.

I missed the first part of the show, but I tuned in just before the vet discussed the very issue you are facing. And she addressed it beautifully. She speaks not only as a vet, she also tells us about her experience with her own dogs. And she gives suggestions about how to know when. And I listened. And I cried, just a little bit, tearing up you know. But she answered some things for me.

I have been through this 6 times in my life, and will probably have to face number 7, fairly soon, maybe. Annie is old as I said. And she goes off alone to sleep during the day instead of napping in the rooms where I am. There are other changes, too. I see them. But today she sniffed butts with the neighbors' beagle and seemed to enjoy it. And she looks out the windows sometimes to see what's going on in her territory. She cannot hear anything, but her eyes are still pretty good I think. So even though I know her hip hurts in spite of the medicine she takes, she does have some fun here and there still. But she is old, and growing older fast it seems.

I had planned when I heard this NPR show yesterday to link it into TOTV in the Pets Forum because there are so many dog lovers here, and I thought it might be helpful to someone.

That was before I read your earlier post. When I saw that one, I thought about linking it then. But I was concerned it would seem like it was just too much. Then we left for a while. But when I returned home just now, I looked in and saw your recent post where you share more about what you are facing at this very moment.

And, Barefoot, after reading what you just wrote, I want to offer you this link to listen to only if you feel you can. You will find the part where she speaks of when the time comes. You will cry. I know. I listened though. And I learned some things that will help me when and if we have to decide for Annie.

Barefoot, I offer you this link in the spirit of one dog lover to another. But it will not be easy to listen to. But this vet is one kind and wonderful lady. Hearing her helped me get a little more clarity on the sad thing we sometimes have to do for one of our dearest and very best friends.

If you feel that you are up to it and want to hear from one who knows well about the Rainbow Bridge, just click on "Listen Now." But please understand that I do not mean to be intrusive in any way. It is just that when I saw your last post, I felt I needed to at least offer something that had helped me, on the chance it could help you, too. The part I am talking about is later in the show. I missed the first part. I heard only the part about making the final decision. I think you can skip to that part if you want to listen to it.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=102105836

Take care, Barefoot. I thought a long time about whether I should send this or not. It is hard. I know. And I understand if you do not want to hear it.

Boomer

Addendum: Barefoot, I just went back into the link and realized that the first part is about cancer in dogs. I did not listen to it, just went long enough to hear what it was about. That part could be particularly difficult for you and I just wanted to make sure I let you know about what was there. I do not want to do anything to make you feel worse.

Last edited by Boomer; 03-20-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:52 PM

Hi Bare,
Just a little note to you. I am so sorry. And, let me add...could a dog have had a better life? I'm around the corner if you need anything. God bless.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:08 PM

Bare

I am so sorry to hear about Brutus. I will be thinking of you.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Platinum member

Oh Bare, I am so sorry to hear that your Brutus has a brain tumor. Please know that we're all here for you, and if you need us for anything just let us know. Sending loving thoughts your way.
Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.