Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Kate, it's not just Talbots. I am also suspicious of the mirrors in Coldwater Creek, and the lighting there. How gullible do they think we are? But wait! I buy stuff there.

In fact, I checked Coldwater first today, but it must be the season for the peasant look. Those days are long behind me. I did not even like the look the first time around. The only person who could look good in that look would probably be Gina Lollobrigida.

Coldwater had a bunch of peasant skirts, some even had hideous quasi-ruffles at the bottom. I do not know what they are thinking. In one of those things, all I would need would be to tie on a babushka and I would look like I just got off the boat with my ancestors. If I accessorized by clutching the family sauerbraten crock, the look would be perfectly finished. So OK, I will embrace the linen concept. It's better than a long, ruffled, orange skirt and a babushka. (shudder)

And Jeanne, I love country music. One of these days I am going to start a thread about country music. I think I like it so much because the songs usually tell a story. And the lyrics are often really clever and fun. And besides, where else can a woman hear such beautifully romantic lines as, "I'd like to check you for ticks"? I just gotta love that stuff. Can't help it.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 05-27-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I love TV because they really do dress so casually there. ...I mean......REALLY casually... I came back to Cincinnati and had to..........dress up a little, not nylons thank heavens, I am so glad they are gone, even if they do smooth out a few things.

Anyway. I played golf in what I play golf in usually in TV and looked really bad. They still wear golf skirts up here.

Of course if I took off 800 pounds maybe I would look better in anything. Not good, but better. sigh.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Platinum member
Default Love Country Music

I like all kinds (well, almost all), but country is tops. Besides, it's kinda hard to grow up in West Texas and not love it. George Strait is awesome. I learned to dance going to rodeo dances. I can remember my baby sitter taking me to see Hank Williams and my daddy and I loved to waltz. Needless to say, I'm kinda partial to the old stuff, but love it all. We love to go out to the Orange Blossom Opry when some of those guys like Gene Watson come in....saw Hank Thompson a couple of years ago. My husband and I used to go out to the local honky-tonk about once a week before we moved here. I'm in the process now of putting all my old albums to CD. The way I'm doing it is kinda time-consuming because I choose to do the option of one song at a time so I can build custom CD's. With my collection, it will probably take me forever and a bigger computer to hold them, but it's fun and the music is priceless. Most of my stuff is in pristine condition since I used to play them sometimes only once in the process of putting them on tapes. I still have lots of the tapes, too. The idea of a new thread sounds like fun.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:17 AM
Send a message via AIM to softfire Send a message via Yahoo to softfire Send a message via Skype™ to softfire

HI Brightspot and girls. This does remind me of my many Girl frends back in Michigan and our "wine Tasting parties" at my indoor pool in the middle of the snow driven winter. Who cares what the wine tasted like. It would be sooo cool to have that bond here. This Thread is so far the closest to it I have found since moving here 7 Yrs. ago. Thank you to the originator of this Thread.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Veteran member

Softfire- where did you use to live in Michigan? My hubby and I are originally from Traverse City, but we now live in Plymouth. Still trying to sell and move to TV!

Boomer - I am convinced that all stores have those mirrors! So I usually don't try the merchandise on at the store. I take it home and try it on, then return what I don't like. If I am at a store that is too far away to return something, I will try it on there. But I have to absolutely love it or I don't buy it anymore. There is just so much to choose from out there that I am extremely picky anymore. But shopping isn't a chore for me, I like to browse and look. It becomes more of a treasure hunt! (ps...linen is a nice natural fabric that breathes, so it keeps you nice and cool in the summer. Sometimes that is worth the extra hassle for the care of the fabric!)

Gracie - I was golfing on Monday and I wore a tank top because it was cool enough that I had a jacket on over it. Of course, we were half way through our round and it warmed up considerably. I ended up taking the jacket off when I couldn't stand it anymore. I felt very self concious not having a collared shirt on, but I noticed that many of the other women didn't have collars on their shirts either. (I was subbing in my sister's golf league.) I know this course is very lenient on their dress code, but I still felt out of place. I should have worn a collared shirt under my jacket. I guess we should dress to feel comfortable, but feeling comfortable isn't always a physical feeling.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Send a message via AIM to softfire Send a message via Yahoo to softfire Send a message via Skype™ to softfire

SS.... I lived in Oakland County. A Minute from Paint Creek cider Mill . Know of it? I sold Real Estate With Re Max In Rochester for 18 yrs.. Now I I am working out of Marion Market. Food and Fuel Program , My ad is listed under businesses. Do you come here in the Winter? Look me up Booth C105. Plymouth is a very nice area as well. What made you leave Traverse City? Nice area there too. Good Luck toward a sale. GO WINGS!
Old 05-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Veteran member
Talking Country Music....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
I like all kinds (well, almost all), but country is tops. Besides, it's kinda hard to grow up in West Texas and not love it. George Strait is awesome. I learned to dance going to rodeo dances. I can remember my baby sitter taking me to see Hank Williams and my daddy and I loved to waltz. Needless to say, I'm kinda partial to the old stuff, but love it all. We love to go out to the Orange Blossom Opry when some of those guys like Gene Watson come in....saw Hank Thompson a couple of years ago. My husband and I used to go out to the local honky-tonk about once a week before we moved here. I'm in the process now of putting all my old albums to CD. The way I'm doing it is kinda time-consuming because I choose to do the option of one song at a time so I can build custom CD's. With my collection, it will probably take me forever and a bigger computer to hold them, but it's fun and the music is priceless. Most of my stuff is in pristine condition since I used to play them sometimes only once in the process of putting them on tapes. I still haRive lots of the tapes, too. The idea of a new thread sounds like fun.
A country music forum is an excellent idea, that would be alot of fun! I too love all music (could probably live w/o rap tho lol), but I listen to country all day long . Wow I didnt know about the Orange Blossom Opry, sounds like they have great stars. How often? I will love that! Last night's tribute to George Strait was amazing, I am so glad I taped it too, now I can watch it over and over....all the big stars! . I havnt figured out how to transfer my albums and CD's onto the computer yet . My son always does the "electronic stuff" for me lol, but I better learn quick since he wont be in TV to help me out with my silly questions . He bought me an IPOD for Christmas for my music so I can listen while gardening, but I have yet to take it out of the box lol.
P.S. "Walk the Line" (story of the life of Johnny Cash) is on Friday at 8 p.m. on CBS. I have seen it twice already and will watch again lol.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneBeannie View Post
I havnt figured out how to transfer my albums and CD's onto the computer yet
I bought a turntable that is designed to plug into the computer (I think a stereo system, too). It came with the software to convert records to the computer. I think it was something like $119 thru Circuit City's online site. I haven't checked but it seems I remember seeing something on TV the other night about them still being in the online business. You have the option of doing one song at a time (which I like to do) or you can do an entire album. The problem with doing the whole album is that you can't pick out just the songs you want to either listen to or burn to CD's. It's fun and I get to listen to the music I haven't played in ages. Sure beats reruns and those blasted Bob Dance/Appliance Direct commercials! It's really easy to do...if I can do it, anyone can. I sometimes have to backtrack a little because I get a little wrapped up in listening and forget to stop and save the song....not a problem, though. Thank goodness for do-overs. Some of the places like Belk's have a radio, etc. combo that will take records to CD's for about $149, but I don't think that it has the capability of doing the one song thing. I also heard that they are not all that reliable, either (they have really come down in price). I'll be glad to give you whatever other info I can or help you do it.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Veteran member
Smile Thank you Dilly!

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain it to me. I have been lazy about learning these things and just have my son do it lol . Well...not that lazy lol, I do ask him to show me, but he is always rushing so I guess he figures its easier for him just to do it lol. . I will check out Circuit City online, I did hear yesterday on the news that they may be making a comeback.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Sage
Default Country Music

Re country music ..... Have you ever listened to the words of George Jones' old hit "He Stopped Loving Her Today"? I think it is one of the most romantic songs ever!
Old 05-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneBeannie View Post
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain it to me. I have been lazy about learning these things and just have my son do it lol . Well...not that lazy lol, I do ask him to show me, but he is always rushing so I guess he figures its easier for him just to do it lol. . I will check out Circuit City online, I did hear yesterday on the news that they may be making a comeback.
Jeanne,

since you are a country music lover I have to know, do you line dance???

If so, could you give me some lessons? LOL

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Veteran member
Default Sooo Romantic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Re country music ..... Have you ever listened to the words of George Jones' old hit "He Stopped Loving Her Today"? I think it is one of the most romantic songs ever!
"they placed a wreath upon his door, and soon they'll carry him away...he stopped loving her today".

Oh Bare....I have goosebumps just typing it. Yes, a beautiful classic!!
Love George Jones!!
Old 05-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Veteran member
Cool Well....I used to lol

I love to line dance, it sure has been awhile tho, but that would be so much fun!! I love doing the boot scootin boogie"
Old 05-29-2009, 06:51 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts
Default and you know you have done the same thing

about those linen pants.....I will be wearing them soon and I think they require a heel to dress them up. I have a pair of summer shoes all ready to go. Almost ready to go. Black and white. (Like the jacket I will wear with the new pants.) Open toe. A slide. But even though I bought them last summer, I have not worn them yet.

And so this morning, while doing laundry and a little cleaning, I am wearing my pj's and thick white socks and these rather fancy shoes with the heel.

When my daughter was a kid, I used to get her to break in my shoes for me. She loved wearing them around the house and that worked out great. But now she is all grown up and I have to break in my own shoes.

So....such a lovely ensemble I am wearing on this sunny Ohio morning. PJ's, high heels, and really thick white ankle socks. (I will try to remember not to wear the socks with the shoes when I leave the house.)

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 05-29-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:53 AM
Golden Sunrise Member
Default Oh Boomer!

I do the same thing. Shoes - other than flip flops - always hurt my feet so the big sock thing really works. I can picture you - someone should write it into a sitcom.

As to country music, I am a rock n' roll kinda gal. (Stones, Clapton, Zeppelin, Doors, early Beatles, etc etc)

But I do love "Earl Has To Die" by the Dixie Chicks and "Friends in Low Places" by Garth Brooks.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.