Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2009, 07:37 AM
Location: Village of St. Charles,Binghamton, Conklin, Syracuse, and Tully, NY
Default Elvis

I did see Elvis in Binghamton in June of 1977. He died that August, so I'm so glad I stayed OVERNIGHT in the arena to get the tickets that went on sale the next morning. He was fantastic. That was toward his end, when he was very overweight but once he started singing, you didn't even notice. My only regret is that I didn't take my daughter who was only 11 at the time. I didn't think she was serious that she wanted to go ( In fact I don't remember that she asked to go). However, she reminds me once in awhile about how I didn't take her and then he died! She is still an "Oldies fan", so now I wish I had taken her. Does anyone else have adult children who love to bring stuff like that up? They also like to tell you all the stuff they did that you never found out about! We actually have a great relationship.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Sage

Yes Kitty,

My daughter who is about the same age as yours loves to throw things up in my face from her chiuldhood. How i didnt take her grocery shopping with me, how I went on a vacation without her, I didnt get her the Christmas gift she wanted Just shoot me, I guess I was a terrible mommy! LOL

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts
Default Confessions of a really bad mother

Mine, too. Boomette has never let me live down the fact that I would not let her have a Barbie Doll. I thought Barbie Dolls sent the wrong message to little girls. (It was the 70's) She said that she secretly played with Barbie Dolls when she was at her friends' houses. I was, it seems, such a bad mother because of this Barbie Doll thing that I finally gave in and gave her one when she graduated from college. Boomette is now a slave to fashion. (sigh)

Another thing that Boomette torments me over is the cow pitcher. You know those cow pitchers, or I guess more correctly called creamers. You know what I mean. They are white and you pour milk or cream into them and then it comes out the cow's mouth when it's poured out. Exquisitely tacky things. I think I bought it at Stuckey's.

Anyway, the little white cow pitcher/creamer held just enough milk for Boomette's cereal when she was little. So I could pour out the cereal the night before. Cover the bowl with something so the cereal did not get stale. Pour the right amount of milk into the cow pitcher. Put it into the refrigerator. And Voilà! You got it. The kid could fix her own cereal on Saturday mornings while she watched cartoons and I snoozed a little. (Boomette was a responsible little girl. Never played with matches or anything like that.)

OK! Just say it. Just whisper it behind my back. I know. You are saying, "Boomer was such a bad, bad mother. tsk. tsk."

And you will never guess what I gave Boomette as a gift just a few years ago. You're right. A cow pitcher.

And she uses it. She puts it on the table for company. And then she tells them the story of her terrible childhood when she had to make her own cereal while her mommy slept in during Saturday morning cartoons.

Boomer Dearest

Last edited by Boomer; 06-06-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Veteran member

My daughter had her cereal dry on Saturday mornings...at least you let her have milk with hers! Guess I'm not the only one!
Old 06-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschuler1 View Post
My daughter had her cereal dry on Saturday mornings...at least you let her have milk with hers! Guess I'm not the only one!
Oh SS, thank you. The next time Boomette goes into her routine about what she calls the "puking cow pitcher" that scarred her for life, I will tell her about the little girl in Michigan who had NO MILK on her cereal.

Boomer
Old 06-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschuler1 View Post
Dry cereal I'm surprised you weren't reported to Child Services.

Boy oh boy, if that is the only complaint, I'd say your kids had a wonderful childhood!
Old 06-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Mine, too. Boomette has never let me live down the fact that I would not let her have a Barbie Doll. I thought Barbie Dolls sent the wrong message to little girls. (It was the 70's) She said that she secretly played with Barbie Dolls when she was at her friends' houses. I was, it seems, such a bad mother because of this Barbie Doll thing that I finally gave in and gave her one when she graduated from college. Boomette is now a slave to fashion. (sigh)

Another thing that Boomette torments me over is the cow pitcher. You know those cow pitchers, or I guess more correctly called creamers. You know what I mean. They are white and you pour milk or cream into them and then it comes out the cow's mouth when it's poured out. Exquisitely tacky things. I think I bought it at Stuckey's.

Anyway, the little white cow pitcher/creamer held just enough milk for Boomette's cereal when she was little. So I could pour out the cereal the night before. Cover the bowl with something so the cereal did not get stale. Pour the right amount of milk into the cow pitcher. Put it into the refrigerator. And Voilà! You got it. The kid could fix her own cereal on Saturday mornings while she watched cartoons and I snoozed a little. (Boomette was a responsible little girl. Never played with matches or anything like that.)

OK! Just say it. Just whisper it behind my back. I know. You are saying, "Boomer was such a bad, bad mother. tsk. tsk."

And you will never guess what I gave Boomette as a gift just a few years ago. You're right. A cow pitcher.

And she uses it. She puts it on the table for company. And then she tells them the story of her terrible childhood when she had to make her own cereal while her mommy slept in during Saturday morning cartoons.

Boomer Dearest

OMG Boomer,

We must have been sisters in another life. I did the same thing with Courtney (the milk and cereal). We had a little jug in lieu of the cow pitcher. BTW I LOVE the cow pitchers. I bought my Mother-in-law a kitty cat version for Christmas lst year and she adoreds it.

I did allow Barbie. She is also a slave to fashion. So Barbie deprivation is not necessarily causative. I think she is a bit younger than Boomette - - she is an early 80s baby.

Kate (dearest)
Old 06-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Soaring Parsley

Oh Kate (Dearest), isn't the "Girl Talk" thread the most freeing thing. You and Schuler and me. All making our poor little daughters fix their own cereal while we slept in on Saturday mornings. I know there must be more like us out there. This is so freeing. So freeing.

Boomer Dearest
Old 06-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default There is not a kid in the world who is cute before 8 o clock in the morning.

Try this. I caused a lot of problems (so mine say) because I bent over backwards. (It was a case of me being raised without a mother and I tried to do it up brown when it was my turn.) Now I am told that I overdid it and they wished that someone elses Mom had been the room mother and the Brownie leader and that I would never let them pour ANYTHING.....cough....until they went to college and I KNOW they learned to pour there.

Ain't none of us can be perfect Mothers. JUST WAIT, I say. Their kids will tell them the same. (or worse)
Old 06-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Platinum member
Smile Erma Bombeck

said it best when she wrote Just Wait Till You Have Children of Your Own. That lady was there, done that. If you haven't read any of her books, do so...you're in for a real treat when you do. I think all of us can very clearly identify with her on a lot of points from husbands, to kids, to whatever. Hilarious!
Old 06-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Soaring Parsley

Dillywho, I, too, love Erma Bombeck's writing.

Erma Bombeck was a fellow Buckeye and I once had the privilege of hearing her speak. I lived in Dayton soon after she had made her transition from the little local community paper to the Dayton paper.

She started out writing for $3.00 a column for the little community paper. (She lived in Centerville, a Dayton suburb. Phil Donahue lived there, too. How weird is that? -- I digress.) Anyway, she said that one of her first columns there had to do with her husband's idea of Christmas lights being to change the porch light's bulb to a colored one. I guess she went on a bit about his lack of Christmas decorating spirit and tendency toward being cheap.

When her husband saw her column she said that he asked her how she could exploit his foibles in the newspaper.

To which Erma answered, "But they gave me $3.00."

And her husband said, "Go for it."

Another of her titles that can sum up how motherhood can feel sometimes is "I Lost Everything in the Post-Natal Depression."

What a wonderful wit she was. She would have been 82 now.

I lifted these quotes from Wikipedia, even though I know that Wikipedia is not really a true reference source where the info is checked. But I'm sure all of these are Erma's. I thought you girls might like them:

"Insanity is hereditary. You can catch it from your kids."

"My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first one being hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint."

"There's nothing sadder in this world than to awake Christmas morning and not be a child."

"If a man watches three football games in a row, he should be declared legally dead."

"The only reason I would take up jogging is so I could hear heavy breathing again."

"Laughter rises out of tragedy, when you need it the most, and rewards you for your courage."

"Dreams have only one owner at a time. That's why dreamers are lonely."

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me."

"In general, my children refused to eat anything that hadn't danced on TV."

"When humor goes, there goes civilization."

"Seize the moment. Think of all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved off the dessert cart."

"Never loan your car to anyone to whom you've given birth."

"The grass is always greener over the septic tank."

"A child needs your love most when he deserves it least."

"There is a thin line that separates laughter and pain, comedy and tragedy, humor and hurt."

....... (and now I think I will go peruse the bookshelf and see if I can find one of my old Erma Bombeck books. Thanks for the memories, Dillywho.)

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 06-07-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Veteran member

Love Erma Bombeck! I always think of her when I spy that dark green spot of grass on my front lawn!
Old 06-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default And remember the author from Defiance.

Ah. I love every one of the quotes you quoted. I especially like this one;

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me."

Gotta love those Ohio girls Boomer.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:49 PM

Hi Everyone - I loved Erma Bombeck too. She was such a good person and so humerous.

By the way, can anyone recommend a good pedicure place and person?
Old 06-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by conn8757 View Post
Hi Everyone - I loved Erma Bombeck too. She was such a good person and so humerous.

By the way, can anyone recommend a good pedicure place and person?
I also loved Erma Bombeck .. being able to laugh at life is such a gift.

For a good pedicure .. try Timmy at Hollywood Nails on CR466 (in front of the new Walmart).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.