Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Good morning, Girls,

---and no, GG, Boomer did not have a headache.

All last week Mr. B. was away. The annual pilgrimage to Oshkosh to Airventure. I went to my class reunion with some of the other "girls" in my life. The ones I can actually see.

Mr. B. had said that he would come home a day early to go to the class reunion if I wanted him to. And I said absolutely not would I have you come home a day early from Oshkosh to go to my class reunion, Class of 19!

When he goes to Oshkosh, of course, I miss him. But he sure has fun. After he lets me know that landing is over and his feet are on the ground, he is off to a week of all airplanes all the time. Those planes land one after another after another there. For that one week in the summer Oshkosh is the busiest airport in the world. Mr. B. thinks the landing is fun. I hide under my desk until the phone rings and he tells me that part is over. I think the planes come in only a half mile apart. (not sure but I think that's right -- can't verify my facts -- he is still snoozing) But I know those little planes come in one after another after another. While I hide under my desk at home.

He got to see Sully and his co-pilot who did a program about stuff that pilots would like. And he and his nephews talked with an SR-71 pilot. The whole week is immersion in airplane stuff. A lot more fun for Mr. B. than my class reunion. Actually, he would have had fun there, too, but compared to Oshkosh?! No way would I even entertain the idea of trying to get him to give up Oshkosh for my class reunion. And so off I went to have fun with the girls while he went off to Oshkosh for that week with the guys. --and I know there was lots of farting in Oshkosh. You just know there was.

But today I am dragging Mr. B. away to help with moving day for one of "the girls" here.

This "Girl Talk" thread is so much fun. But "moving day" here in our thread is only a virtual experience. (For that, Mr. B. is probably glad.)

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 08-03-2009 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Good morning, Girls,

---and no, GG, Boomer did not have a headache.

All last week Mr. B. was away. The annual pilgrimage to Oshkosh to Airventure. I went to my class reunion with some of the other "girls" in my life. The ones I can actually see.

Mr. B. had said that he would come home a day early to go to the class reunion if I wanted him to. And I said absolutely not would I have you come home a day early from Oshkosh to go to my class reunion, Class of 19!

When he goes to Oshkosh, of course, I miss him. But he sure has fun. After he lets me know that landing is over and his feet are on the ground, he is off to a week of all airplanes all the time. Those planes land one after another after another there. For that one week in the summer Oshkosh is the busiest airport in the world. Mr. B. thinks the landing is fun. I hide under my desk until the phone rings and he tells me that part is over. I think the planes come in only a half mile apart. (not sure but I think that's right -- can't verify my facts -- he is still snoozing) But I know those little planes come in one after another after another. While I hide under my desk at home.

He got to see Sully and his co-pilot who did a program about stuff that pilots would like. And he and his nephews talked with an SR-71 pilot. The whole week is immersion in airplane stuff. A lot more fun for Mr. B. than my class reunion. Actually, he would have had fun there, too, but compared to Oshkosh?! No way would I even entertain the idea of trying to get him to give up Oshkosh for my class reunion. And so off I went to have fun with the girls while he went off to Oshkosh for that week with the guys. --and I know there was lots of farting in Oshkosh. You just know there was.

But today I am dragging Mr. B. away to help with moving day for one of "the girls" here.

This "Girl Talk" thread is so much fun. But "moving day" here in our thread is only a virtual experience. (For that, Mr. B. is probably glad.)

Boomer

Ladies,

I can now say that Gracie IS my friend - live and in person. Boomer, nONIE, Bare, Jane - hopefully we will meet in person soon - as well as being friends here.

Glad this thread is alive again. Need to run - they are paging my flight.....
Old 08-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Sage

Graciegirl, I totally agree, it is nice to have a safe place to chatter on. Without worrying about the guys dropping in. Oh, I like women so much, they are usually so supportive of each other. It must be terrible to have all that testosterone (sp) flowing through the veins.

By the way LLJane, how did your hair turn out?

GG, you are much too kind with your personal comments about me. I hate to tell you but I'm not the nice person that you think I am. Some days I go around in a purple funk and I need to keep pinching myself to remind myself I need to be grateful for my blessings. If I listed all my bad habits I'd run out of paper. Sometimes I'm mean to Fireboy because I'm mad at myself for something. And I keep some voodoo dolls in my bottom drawer, and I have hat pins, but haven't used them yet. Now nobody will want to be my friend!

I'm glad you and Kate got a chance to meet up and do some bonding. She looks so pretty and young in all her pictures. I'm interested to hear what you think of TV in the summer. Did the heat bother you? I'm always there during the busiest time of the year. Other than the temperature, can you notice a big difference between summer and winter in TV?
Old 08-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Barefoot, it is lovely in the summer too, sigh.

No. The heat is there but not so much that you can't go about the business of having fun. The water is lovely in the pools. I hate when it feels cold so I loved it. You sweat a bit when you dance, but the ride home in the golf cart feels so nice. There are different flowers blooming in the heat of summer and because there has been so much rain, everything is lush and tropical. The green is even greener and the sky is bluer and everywhere people are smiling and they are all so high on life.

You need to return to Paradise, Barefoot, and so do I.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Graciegirl, I totally agree, it is nice to have a safe place to chatter on. Without worrying about the guys dropping in. Oh, I like women so much, they are usually so supportive of each other. It must be terrible to have all that testosterone (sp) flowing through the veins.

By the way LLJane, how did your hair turn out?

GG, you are much too kind with your personal comments about me. I hate to tell you but I'm not the nice person that you think I am. Some days I go around in a purple funk and I need to keep pinching myself to remind myself I need to be grateful for my blessings. If I listed all my bad habits I'd run out of paper. Sometimes I'm mean to Fireboy because I'm mad at myself for something. And I keep some voodoo dolls in my bottom drawer, and I have hat pins, but haven't used them yet. Now nobody will want to be my friend!

I'm glad you and Kate got a chance to meet up and do some bonding. She looks so pretty and young in all her pictures. I'm interested to hear what you think of TV in the summer. Did the heat bother you? I'm always there during the busiest time of the year. Other than the temperature, can you notice a big difference between summer and winter in TV?
Hi Girls!!
I just signed on, so have to read up and catch up with you gals...but wanted to answer your post Miss Bare. Quite the contrary my dear....we love you all the more with purple funk and voodoo dolls. You are a great friend and a very dear person!!!!
Old 08-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Soaring Parsley
Default Nora Ephron wrote it

Hi Girls,

Fellow baby boomer Diane Sawyer just interviewed Nora Ephron on "Good Morning America." The movie "Julie and Julia" opens Friday. Nora Ephron wrote and directed it.

In the course of the interview, Diane and Nora got into the topic of women reinventing themselves later in life. Julia Child's famous cookbook was not published until Julia was 49. (Ohhhhhhhh, to be 49 again and know what I know now.)

I like Nora Ephron's writing and have been a fan since "Heartburn." I did have a few issues with her book "I Feel Bad About My Neck." Overall, it was fine, but got just a little too into a, "Hey, I'm Nora Ephron and you're not" attitude. I guess that book just went down the autobiography road when I was hoping for more of an "Everywoman" theme. The "Everywoman" theme was there though. And I sure loved the title. The neck is what gets us first. The legs are the last to go.

Darn it, I am digressing here.........and possibly being redundant. I think I talked about that book once before somewhere in all these buzillion posts I have written........I came in here this morning to talk about this movie and got sidetracked thinking I need to give Nora Ephron a few tips. Geez. Whatinthehellisthematterwithme? And I really do like Nora Ephron's writing. And also her quick, smartassed comments during interviews. When talking about jobs and how things can change, Nora said, "When men are dissatisfied, they buy boats. Women reinvent themselves."

Anyway, back to the movie. This is one of those movies where you should call up your girlfriends and say, "Hey, let's meet for the movie and then after, go out for some wonderful food and wine and gossip. (Hey, I just picked up somewhere that the word 'gossip' comes from the tradition of inviting your dinner guests to join you in the drawing room or the parlor or wherever, after dinner, to "go sip" a little something rather potent and talk. .......I am digressing yet again.....

Anyway, I brought you the trailer for the movie. (And speaking of word origins, I still do not get that trailer thing. Trailers come after. I do not understand the etymology of using the word 'trailer' like this. Of course, I also do not know when the word 'fun' suddenly became an adjective. But now I use it that way, too.) Oh well, here's the trailer for "Julie and Julia." Call your friends that you can actually see and get together for this one.

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=8147217

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 08-05-2009 at 10:25 AM. Reason: clarifying the quote from Nora
Old 08-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thumbs up I love her!

Yes! Boomer, I'm right there with you about Nora Ephron! Heartburn is one of my favorite movies. And I'm always threatening my hubby with a Key Lime pie in the face! I love that scene!!!

Julia and Julie is definitely on my list of movies to see. I love everything with Meryl Streep anyway!

I'm also a great fan of Carrie Fisher's 'Postcards from the Edge'. Have you seen that? Old movie, but same type of humor.

Thanks for the trailer. BTW, the name could have come from the fact that they put these together after the movie is fully completed and edited. Or because all the stars stay in trailers. Who knows!!!! Just a thought. It is strange though. I always though "fun" being the beginning of "funeral" was weird too! LOL
Old 08-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I really liked her cookbook and I liked her for the most part, but Julia Childs always reminded me of a female impersonator.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea24 View Post
Yes! Boomer, I'm right there with you about Nora Ephron! Heartburn is one of my favorite movies. And I'm always threatening my hubby with a Key Lime pie in the face! I love that scene!!!

Julia and Julie is definitely on my list of movies to see. I love everything with Meryl Streep anyway!

I'm also a great fan of Carrie Fisher's 'Postcards from the Edge'. Have you seen that? Old movie, but same type of humor.

Thanks for the trailer. BTW, the name could have come from the fact that they put these together after the movie is fully completed and edited. Or because all the stars stay in trailers. Who knows!!!! Just a thought. It is strange though. I always though "fun" being the beginning of "funeral" was weird too! LOL
Chels,

Thank you. Of course, that has to be it. They put them together after filming. The word has nothing to do with when I am watching. (Oh my! I must be one of those people who thinks everything is about me.)

I really am glad you explained it to me. It makes perfect sense now. Could you hear me saying, "DUH" and smacking myself on the forehead with the palm of my hand? Now it is obvious. (You would not believe the number of times something can be right in front of me, completely obvious, and I miss it.)

So thanks again. That "trailer" thing has been bugging me since it started.

Boomer
Old 08-06-2009, 05:42 AM
Veteran member
Default Looks Great!!

I just saw the "coming attractions" of Julie and Julia and it looks like its going to be great!!! Meryl Streep is one of my absolute favorites!! I agree Boomer, it would be a great movie to go out and watch with a bunch of girlfriends and out after for lots of laughs.
Altho, I dont think I will be in TV by then, but who knows? Maybe by then I can rent it and we can have a "gal pal party" at hopefully my new home in TV. I have to keep saying "hopefully" because I dont want to jinx my pending sale hehe .
I hope you all have a great day!!
Old 08-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Chels,

Thank you. Of course, that has to be it. They put them together after filming. The word has nothing to do with when I am watching. (Oh my! I must be one of those people who thinks everything is about me.)

I really am glad you explained it to me. It makes perfect sense now. Could you hear me saying, "DUH" and smacking myself on the forehead with the palm of my hand? Now it is obvious. (You would not believe the number of times something can be right in front of me, completely obvious, and I miss it.)

So thanks again. That "trailer" thing has been bugging me since it started.

Boomer
Chels & Boomer, be bugged no more! It bugged me too, so I looked it up. According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_trailer), they're named trailers because originally the advertisements for upcoming movies were shown at the end of the featured movie. Since patrons tended to get up and leave before the trailers were finished, the trailers were moved to the beginning, but the name stuck. And there you have it. If it's on the internet, it must be true. lol
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 08-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Sage
Wink Thanks!

Thanks for the info Judy! That makes sense. Why bother to change the name! LOL

How are you??? I never run into you! PM me when you have time!
Old 08-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Sage

I was watching The Biggest Loser or one of those mindless programs last night. The "loser" was an enormous size ten and wanted to be a size four.

Speaking of diets, has anyone tried Herbal Magic or Herbal One?
Old 08-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Platinum member

I met Nora Ephron once - she is an amazing person. Saw Julia and Julie this weekend. Loved it - could watch it again. Meryl Streep was soooo Julia and the actress who plays Julie - Amy??? was great too.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Soaring Parsley

At last, the final answer on that trailers thing. Thank you, uu.

And.......also.........

When I looked in and saw what Barefoot said about the diet stuff, I had to laugh about the parallel universes that converge in "Girl Talk." I had been thinking about just putting it out there. Just telling all of you. Right here. In "Girl Talk." Telling all of you about this new diet trick I am trying. And I think I will tell you. Right now. Maybe it will keep me on track. Sort of. If I tell you.

So here goes......

First of all, I must tell you that I cannot begin to tell you the number of magazines I have bought because, when I am standing in line at the grocery store, those magazine covers call to me, speak to me, promising to reveal the answer to making it easier.

Well, I bought another one of those magazines last week. The diet article was all about a study done at Baylor. What the study found was that drinking a glass of V8 before meals helped.

Interestingly, when I tracked down the reports on the actual study, the weight losses were not nearly so magical as the ones that had happened for the happy looking trim women in the magazine photos. They had dropped a lot of weight -- fast. Like always in the magazines. But hey -- hope springs eternal.

So I thought, whattheheck? Can't hurt. And, like I told you before, it was a long carbohydrate filled winter and I am still carrying the memories around.

So off I went to the grocery store again, where I bought a few bottles of V8 juice, low sodium, like the article said. (I did not buy any magazines on that trip.)

The article also said that the study used the DASH diet. (Dietary Approach to Stop Hypertension) DASH is a good and really healthy guide for anybody to use. Weight loss wanted or not. The study was partially funded by Campbell Soup which owns V8.

Well, I have never been a big fan of V8. And even though I can hear some of you out there whispering, "Pssssst, Boomer, Absolut or Grey Goose or Stoli or Ketel One," well, I think that might defeat the purpose. I will allow myself a jaunty celery swizzle stick though. And I'll try to conjure up a little imagination.

Actually, I found out that I can drink this stuff. Even though I have always thought it looked like it was about to clot. And I was really surprised that the low-sodium version is no worse than the regular version. (How's that for damning with faint praise.)

And so far, two pounds are gone. Since last week. The V8 seems to slow me down on what I eat.

(Well, tonight I did have a hot fudge sundae at Graeter's. But anybody who knows Cincinnati knows Graeter's is worth it. And they do not serve V8 at Graeter's. But I counted the sundae as dinner.)

My other thing I am doing is not eating after dinner. Staying away from the kitchen. No matter how much my geriatric dog tries to herd me in there to get a little something to share with her.

So girls, that is what I am doing. And I have been really debating about confessing to all of you. But then I thought, "Hey! You know what. Maybe if I write about this in the 'Girl Talk' thread, it could be like making some kind of commitment to actually sticking to it."

And who knows, maybe I could get paid to succeed. I heard on an NPR show the other day something about a new government program "Cash for Chunkers."

Sooooooo, do I hit "Submit Reply"?????? Do I share my angst with all of "Girl Talk?" Ohhhhhhhh, whattheheck........

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 08-09-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.