Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Sage

Great accupuncture story Julie!

Barb, I do have medical coverage for accupuncture, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. You said you tried two different accupuncturists and one was much better than the other. Having no experience whatsoever, how would I be able to tell a "good" accupuncturist .. just by the results?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default acupuncture?

Barefoot, after I saw your question about acupuncture, I also saw a little blurb in the health section of a magazine that reported on a recent Harvard study. The study was done on people with IBS. They got 6 treatments in 3 weeks and the results were good for some. The doc was quoted as saying, "Acupuncture may cause a relaxation response, balance hormone levels or affect your nervous system."

An IBS study is not a weight loss study but I thought it was interesting that acupuncture helped some of the study participants, even though the doc may not have known exactly why.

I do not have IBS, but I know people who have it and so I know it can be a tough one. I just thought I would throw this in here because the study shows acupuncture is being looked at for another tough problem.

The short article also said that the success of some could have come from the placebo effect.

Sounds like sometimes acupuncture might just be about the I of the needle.

But, hey, placebo/plaschmeebo -- who cares? -- That's if it cannot hurt and just might work.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 08-19-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Sage
Default Moisturizer

Today I ran out of moisturizer. The kind you put on overnight, and wake up looking ten years younger. But I couldn't find the right brand. A dermatologist told me once that Ponds cold cream was just as effective as the most expensive product. But I don't believe him. I'm sure there is a miracle in a jar just waiting for me to find it.

I've tried the ones by Diane Keaton and Ellen Degeneruous (excuse spelling). But I don't wake up looking like Diane and Ellen, I wake up looking like Barefoot's grandmother. Oh no, that is me in the mirror.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good face cream that isn't exorbitantly expensive?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Veteran member
Smile

My 82 year old Auntie El has used Pond's Cold Cream for ever & she looks absolutely Fabulous!

BTW what the hell is "cold cream" any way?

Hijack, any one see my post on the golf day from hell in the sports section?
It ain't pretty.
Might try bowling.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Today I ran out of moisturizer. The kind you put on overnight, and wake up looking ten years younger. But I couldn't find the right brand. A dermatologist told me once that Ponds cold cream was just as effective as the most expensive product. But I don't believe him. I'm sure there is a miracle in a jar just waiting for me to find it.

I've tried the ones by Diane Keaton and Ellen Degeneruous (excuse spelling). But I don't wake up looking like Diane and Ellen, I wake up looking like Barefoot's grandmother. Oh no, that is me in the mirror.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good face cream that isn't exorbitantly expensive?
Before I got hooked on the stuff by Elizabeth Arden that cost me my life savings, I always used Olay. The basic stuff in the bottle. I guess it is the original with the SPF 15. It has been around for a really long time, before Olay branched out into all those other kinds of stuff for your face.

I have used Olay for years. And when this high end stuff runs out, I might go back to it. Something about an expensive moisturizer makes me feel a little had. But who really knows. And sometimes I wonder how that Hellmann's (that I am always mixing with fresh dill for salmon or with fresh tarragon for chicken salad) might work. I slather the stuff on everything in my refrigerator. I might as well try Hellmann's on my face.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 08-19-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Some of the most beautiful skin I've seen is on women who've been using Ponds and/or Olay creams faithfully for years. I would agree that the most expensive is not necessarily the best.

Let us know if you find the miracle in a bottle.

I've always heard Preparation H cream is good for night cream around the eyes. LOL I'm jus sayin......
Old 08-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalen View Post
My 82 year old Auntie El has used Pond's Cold Cream for ever & she looks absolutely Fabulous!

BTW what the hell is "cold cream" any way?

It ain't pretty.
Might try bowling.

Two posts in a row from me here. Just got into that moisturizer thing with Barefoot's question. So much to think about tonight here in GT.

Anyway, Whalen, your post today about the golf game terrified me. ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!!!!

Now I know for sure that I am destined to be a pariah. Out there on a TV golf course, with my remedial special grip on my favorite club that I use for everything. Missing the ball completely. Feeling those eyes burning behind me, those eyes that will end up burning the collar right off my shirt, until I get thrown out for that.

And all the cute visors and all the cute skirts in Florida will not make me look like I belong.

And you did exactly what I would have done. You made exactly the decision I would have made. Hellooooooo, the course is called TURTLE MOUND. I would have thought the same thing.

I guess I will just have to start a book club when I get there. And I promise not to even care whether anybody actually reads the book.

I hope you went out to lunch and girl talk after. That is the really important part of my golf game anyway. And for any book club with which I am associated. Who ever thought I was an English major????? Geez.

ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh. I know all about waving people through or picking up the ball and moving on but this sounds like a little much. But what do I know??? And it is AUGUST for heaven's sake. What might they do to you in February????

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 08-20-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
My 82 year old Auntie El has used Pond's Cold Cream for ever & she looks absolutely Fabulous! BTW what the hell is "cold cream" any way?

It ain't pretty.
Might try bowling.

I think 80 year olds all look fabulous. Probably because they didn't spend a lot of time baking in the sun topless while slathering on baby oil. I truly deserve to be wrinkled as a prune from my "glory days".

Re Whalen Hijack

Whalen, I saw your golf post. Glad I wasn't there, I would have just given up! I am definitely taking lessons when I arrive in October and maybe you can give me some pointers.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I think 80 year olds all look fabulous. Probably because they didn't spend a lot of time baking in the sun topless while slathering on baby oil. I truly deserve to be wrinkled as a prune from my "glory days".

Re Whalen Hijack

Whalen, I saw your golf post. Glad I wasn't there, I would have just given up! I am definitely taking lessons when I arrive in October and maybe you can give me some pointers.
I did take lessons!
Golf in "High Season"?
I don't think so, I think then they might shoot to kill if you're not up to speed!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I did take lessons!
Golf in "High Season"?
I don't think so, I think then they might shoot to kill if you're not up to speed!
Oh Gail.

NOT to worry or think that. I will be there during "high season" and if anyone looks threatening, I will take my six iron to them. You have a friend or 40!
Old 08-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Sage

Boomer, how is your V8 diet going?

Another linda, I'm still laughing at your "cleaning up the pie" story. I do the exact same thing!
Old 08-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Sage
Default Shhhhhhh....

Quote:
Boomer, how is your V8 diet going?

Another linda, I'm still laughing at your "cleaning up the pie" story. I do the exact same thing!
Shhhh.... Bare! I think V8 has become a dirty work in Boomerland!
I don't want to tell her... I just made a V8 pie! Hahaha!
Old 08-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Veteran member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Oh Gail.

NOT to worry or think that. I will be there during "high season" and if anyone looks threatening, I will take my six iron to them. You have a friend or 40!

Thanks, GG
My Hero
Old 08-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea24 View Post
Shhhh.... Bare! I think V8 has become a dirty work in Boomerland!
I don't want to tell her... I just made a V8 pie! Hahaha!
Hey! Chels! I heard that!

And Barefoot, my recent lack of success with sticking with the V8 can be found chronicled in Nonie's confession thread about the ice cream.

I almost wrote an ode to Graeter's ice cream. And I even linked the connection to the Graeter's website. And so now the truth comes out. The real truth about why Boomer cannot seem to pry herself out of Cincinnati. It's all about the Graeter's ice cream.

The stuff costs a blue fortune. About 4 and 1/2 bucks a pint. Yep. A pint. But the return on investment when buying a pint makes sooooo much good sense because a cone comes out to be far more expensive when you consider the cost of just a dip vs. a whole pint. And we must be careful about how we invest our money. Right? Sometimes I get just a cone. But sometimes I really do feel that it is important to keep the ROI in mind.

I can resist absolutely any other kind of ice cream. But I cannot resist Graeter's. There are no words to describe this stuff.

A little luxury that gets me into trouble -- that Graeter's ice cream. When it comes near me, I just give in. (Yeah. I know. But hey, I might be easy. But I sure ain't cheap!)

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 08-23-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

From the wilds of Maine,

Miss all of you -

Gail I will defend you with my 9 iron - I am the most accurate with that and can aim right where it would hurt any guy that laughed the most.

Boomer - I like your book club idea where no one needs to read the book. Somehow book clubs always make me feel as if I am back in HS English with Sister Mary Whomever telling us that the author meant this when he wrote that. As if a woman who never had sex could understand Fitzgerald or Hemingway!

I am ODing on lobster (natch!) and Giffords French Vanilla ice cream. In TV the ice cream at Kilvins is over $10 a quart, but it is the best I have ever added to me increasingly large hips.

We are home tomorrow - pick up Fin from doggies camp at DDRR and ready to be scowled at by our cat (TomTadClaude).

Off to read Gail's golf tale.

k

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.